New Z77 Extreme4: Restarts at "Starting windows"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Z77 Extreme4: Restarts at "Starting windows"

Just got my new i5 system parts, including the z77 Extreme4.

I am not sure whats going on, but the system posts fine but when it gets to the starting windows screen it just restarts. I attempted another hard drive with windows 7 installed and the same thing occurred.

i5 3750k
    Asrock z77 extreme4
    8 gigs ddr3 ripjaw gskill
    nvidia gtx 260
    Antec 650w
    Windows 7 64 bit
    SATA western digital hard drives x 2
    Last edited by perfectblue; 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM.

Re: New Z77 Extreme4: Restarts at "Starting windows"

You need to enter your system specs so we know what you are using. Did you install Windows with only the OS drive connected to the board, or other drives attached too?

Is that restart happening when the OS installation has just finished, or after the OS installation, and you loaded other drivers, or what? What SATA mode did you use during the installation?

You should go into the UEFI/BIOS, and in the Advanced screen, disable Intel Rapid Start, and Intel Smart Connect. Did you use default BIOS settings for the CPU and memory when this restart happens, or did you OC the CPU or your memory?

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post

You should go into the UEFI/BIOS, and in the Advanced screen, disable Intel Rapid Start, and Intel Smart Connect. Did you use default BIOS settings for the CPU and memory when this restart happens, or did you OC the CPU or your memory?
      You need to enter your system specs so we know what you are using. Did you install Windows with only the OS drive connected to the board, or other drives attached too?
      System specs:
      i5 3750k
      Asrock z77 extreme4
      8 gigs ddr3 ripjaw gskill
      nvidia gtx 260
      Antec 650w
      Windows 7 64 bit

Both HDD I am swapping between when producing this error already had windows 7 installed.

Is that restart happening when the OS installation has just finished, or after the OS installation, and you loaded other drivers, or what? What SATA mode did you use during the installation?
      Since these are HDD I have been using for over a year now, already installed. This error occurs when the "starting windows" screen appears. In windows 7 as shown in this image http://0.tqn.com/d/pcsupport/1/0/N/E...ndows-7-01.jpg

I will disable Intel Rapid Start and Intel Smart Connect and report back.
      System is at default settings. It started producing this error out of the bock. No overclock involved.

Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

I disabled Intel Rapid Start and Intel Smart connect, it did not resolve the issue.

Comment

Wait a second, so the HDDs with Windows 7 on them were previously used on another, different PC? Windows was installed on those HDDs on a different PC? You then put those HDDs on your new hardware and you get this problem, is that correct?

Comment

If you have your keyboard and mouse connected to the USB3 ports try swapping them over to a USB2 port, that worked for me when first booting into win7. After USB3 drivers were installed it didn't matter which ports I used.

Cheers
            Jase

Comment

Wait a second, so the HDDs with Windows 7 on them were previously used on another, different PC? Windows was installed on those HDDs on a different PC? You then put those HDDs on your new hardware and you get this problem, is that correct?
              Yes Correct. Even if I wanted to do a fresh install, I have not been able to do so. I put in a blank HD and the windows 7 cd into the cd drive. I set the CD drive as the first boot device in BIOS. And I am greeted with "Reboot and Select proper boot device, Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key", pressing a key does not launch Windows 7 install like it normally does.

Originally posted by JaseGP View Post
              If you have your keyboard and mouse connected to the USB3 ports try swapping them over to a USB2 port, that worked for me when first booting into win7. After USB3 drivers were installed it didn't matter which ports I used.

Cheers
              Jase
              Attempted switching over to 2.0 this did not resolve the issue
              Last edited by perfectblue; 09-11-2012, 07:06 AM.

Comment

it wont work if your shoving a hdd with another make/model of motherboards drivers on it,you need to do a clean install

try putting the dvd drive sata cable on intel sata2 the last numbered port,and try pressing f8 or whatever button it is at splash screen to bring up the boot menu,put in your windows disk and boot from dvd drive
                Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: New Z77 Extreme4: Restarts at &quot;Starting windows&quot;

Update: I put both of the hard drives in my friends Q9550/EVGA 780i system and they both booted into windows no problem. When I put the hard drives into my system it restarts at "starting windows".

Comment

thats right,some chipsets will let you it depends,i could swap hdd with windows installed from h55 to x58,but it wouldnt work from x58 to z68,it would do what your describing hence a clean install is needed,you can boot up on the evga 780i though and put windows in out of the box state,then put in the z77 and it will install needed drivers for you

How to put the computer to out of the box state - Windows 7 Forums
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                      it wont work if your shoving a hdd with another make/model of motherboards drivers on it,you need to do a clean install

try putting the dvd drive sata cable on intel sata2 the last numbered port,and try pressing f8 or whatever button it is at splash screen to bring up the boot menu,put in your windows disk and boot from dvd drive
                      Trying to do this as well.

I go into BIOS and set the CD as the first boot device. I am presented with a screen that reads:
                      "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device. Insert Boot Media in selected boot device and press a key"

I press a key and nothing happens except it repeats the line "Reboot and select proper..." etc

Thanks for the tip on the out of box state, I will just attempt to do a fresh install for now though.

Comment

its not detecting your disc if its saying that,id try other sata ports for your dvd drive see if it sees the disc then
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

its not detecting your disc if its saying that,id try other sata ports for your dvd drive see if it sees the disc then
                          I attempted to use the CD on my friends machine, and it did not load as well. I set 1st boot priority to CD, last to HDD. It booted into windows desktop, so I assume it did this because it could not read the CD.

If thats the case it seems the CD is not reading correctly for whatever reason. Is it still possible to buy OEM Windows 7 ? Because this was the only copy I have.
                          Last edited by perfectblue; 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM.

Comment

theres various official iso download links for windows 7,just burn to disc

digital river i think,ill try n find the link,try and google it

EDIT:

With the release of Windows 7 SP1, Microsoft has also updated the Windows 7 DVD media ISO image distributed by Digital River for online order fulfillment. Digital River is Microsoft’s partner for fulfillment on online distribution for downloadable Microsoft products. The Windows 7 ISO images hosted on Digital River is genuine and official version, and the downloads from the server is legal. It’s after all […]

heres the link,idk if any are broken but there should be newer links on that site
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

theres various official iso download links for windows 7,just burn to disc

digital river i think,ill try n find the link,try and google it

EDIT:

heres the link,idk if any are broken but there should be newer links on that site
                              Downloaded the ISO, failed too boot from it with both systems. My new i5 and an older Quad core / evga 780i board. Not sure whats going on. I can take a picture to show you that CD is set to first boot priority. So not sure why it is not working in both systems when I just mounted win7 from the link you gave me to a new CDR disk.
                              Last edited by perfectblue; 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X