P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Bios update to 2.20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Bios update to 2.20

So, I updated my bios to 2.20 while having a Intel i5 2500K processor (Sandy Bridge).
    By now I know I would have been better off if I had read these forums before doing so, and consequently refrain from updating. But that ship has sailed.

First off, I updated the bios with the windows installer, after restarting my pc the first problem appeared.
    1. The cpu fan would start blowing and stop after a few seconds.
    2. The leds on my keyboard would all light up and after a few seconds just 1 stayed lit.
    3. Nothing else happened.

When pressing the reset button or pressing and holding the power button nothing happened.
    I used the power switch on my power supply to turn the system "off". The only indication of it being on was the led on my keyboard.
    After a minute I turned the power supply on again and tried again, sadly nothing happened.

I went to work. (did a lot of googling on bios problems and dreaded that I had bricked my system into oblivion)

I came back home 7 hours later, pressed my power button and lo and behold my pc started up, did some bios install things and proceeded to work perfectly. I restarted the system a few times and all went fine, pc started up every time.

I went to bed.

The next morning I started my pc, and all was well. Ran a defrag of my SSD.
    I went for breakfast and when I came back to my pc it was shutdown, I didn't remember turning it off but possibly I did in my morning fuzzyness.
    I proceeded to turn the pc on again, not fearing any problems since it was working with the new bios and all.
    But this happened:
    1. The cpu fan would start blowing and stop after a few seconds.
    2. The leds on my keyboard would all light up and after a few seconds just 1 stayed lit.
    3. Nothing else happened.

Either it is groundhog day, my pc has a morning temper or I am at a loss as to what is happening now.
    The bios was working so it should keep working shouldn't it?

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be the problem and how I could fix this?
    Of course I am hoping that all is well again when I get home but want to have a backup plan in case it isn't.

My first thought is to get a new bios chip with an older bios on it but I wonder if this will work since the new bios apparently does work (I used it, played a heavy game on it (Guild Wars 2)).

Edit:
    I already tried contacting Asrock through their website form yesterday but got no reply as of yet apart from the automated response.

Edit:
    Final update, Resetted CMOS and that fixed the problem.
    Last edited by cyril; 08-31-2012, 03:07 AM.

Re: P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Bios update to 2.20

Did you press the clear CMOS button on the rear of your computer.
    That needs to be done after an update like that.
    Then put all your setting back the way they were.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

That might have slipped my mind. Will try that when i get home.
      Is the pc supposed to be on or off when I press it?

Comment

Originally posted by cyril View Post
        Thanks for the reply,

That might have slipped my mind. Will try that when i get home.
        Is the pc supposed to be on or off when I press it?
        Turn it off. Good luck
        I have a P67 Extreme6 and had a similar problem, after resetting the CMOS it fixed the problem.

Comment

Thanks, now I just have to work/ wait 3 to 4 more hours before i can try it...

Edit:

Tried the cmos reset and that seems to have fixed the problem, again thanks to WillyG.
          Last edited by cyril; 08-31-2012, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Glad to hear it's working.

Comment

Working...
            X