Asrock Z77 Extreme6 No longer powers on after only 3 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z77 Extreme6 No longer powers on after only 3 months

Hello everyone new member here and first time Asrock buyer. Three months ago i purchased the Asrock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard.
    I turn off the machine last night, now it wont power on.
    At first i thought , maybe it was the PSU (750w Rosewill Capstone) but i switched that out for a working Antec 650w and no dice still no power, next i thought maybe it was a peripheral or the board was touching something on the case so i disconnected everything, removed the board and reconnected it with only the harddrive a single stick of ram , no dice, i also checked the rosewill in another pc that works fine so my only conclusion is the board is dead or something.

Last thing i did before shutting it down was do a UEFI internet BIOS update that went fine because i was able to boot into windows normally after the flashing, now today the system will not power on.

Specs:
    Boot harddrive , Crucial M4 128GB SSD
    Video Card : AMD/ATI 6850
    RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16gb F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL (4 4GB ram sticks)
    CPU : Intel Ivy Bridge i5-3450
    Suppliment/Secondary harddrive : Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

As you can see its not a system for overclocking , it was running at stock specs nothing overclocked.
    I purchased this motherboard in June because of the high reviews it has received and less than 6months later its dead, does anyone have a suggestion?

Edit, Forgot to mention the onboard reset and power on switches also do not work although they did when i first put the machine together and was testing it.
    Last edited by WalterKinde; 08-28-2012, 01:12 PM.

Re: Asrock Z77 Extreme6 No longer powers on after only 3 months

You might have a dead board, sorry to say. You should try removing the CMOS battery, and clearing the UEFI/BIOS with the internal jumper, if you have not already done that. Leave the battery out for several minutes and keep the jumper on the clear position for all that time too.

Otherwise, your board may have expired.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      You might have a dead board, sorry to say. You should try removing the CMOS battery, and clearing the UEFI/BIOS with the internal jumper, if you have not already done that. Leave the battery out for several minutes and keep the jumper on the clear position for all that time too.

Otherwise, your board may have expired.
      Tried the suggestion, board is still as dead as Judas Iscariot , contacted Asrock and filled out their RMA form, now waiting on their reply.
      This will be the first and last Asrock board i will ever purchase, in the past i used to criticize others when they said they would never buy from this or that hardware manufacturer but now that the shoe is on the other foot i totally agree with them.

Next time i'll stick with trusted Gigabyte or Asus whose boards have never failed me, it was just that the reviews of this board were so good that i decided to go with it.

Comment

Well, do whatever you like, but if you consider all the parts on a mother board, and there are hundreds of them, if one significant one fails, the board is shot. If electrical components are defective, they usually fail early on in their use, as we see in your case. Parts can be tested to a degree, but that cannot predict perfectly if and when they will fail. I have boards that just keep on going, and newer ones that have died. It could be one capacitor, resistor, inductor, or voltage regulator that failed, but does that mean the boards design is bad and prone to failure? Actually, it is likely better that a board fails outright, rather than torture you with intermittent issues that look like something else going bad.

Comment

Working...
        X