Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock X79 Extreme 11 - New Build for Work - Shuts Off in BIOS - Please Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X79 Extreme 11 - New Build for Work - Shuts Off in BIOS - Please Help!

Hi All,

I'm building this machine at work and just completed the assembly this morning. When I turn it on, it powers on and will POST, albeit slowly. When I enter the BIOS to start making adjustments, things seem very sluggish, lags when making selections, etc....then it will just shut down.

Components are as follows:
    X79 Extreme 11
    Intel 3930K
    GSkill DDR3-2133 (CL 11-11-11-31 1.5v)
    XFX Pro 1250W PSU
    x8 Vertex 4 128GB SSD
    Corsair H100 cooler
    Thermaltake Level 10GT case

At first I tried to power it on with all 8 sticks of RAM, then tried 4 in slots A1,B1,C1,D1...then 2 in slots A1,B1...no dice.
    Tried using 2 sticks of Corsair XMS 1333 (2x2GB) 9-9-9-24 1.5v...still shuts down.

I've checked all of the power connections, re-seated the RAM (at this point I'm just trying it with one stick in slot A1).
    Both 8pin connectors are connected to power as well as the supplemental Molex on the board.
    I also can't see anywhere that the board might be making contact with anything other than the standoffs.

I'm not quite a complete nOOb when it comes to building PCs, but this is my first experience with ASRock.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I also posted this at Overclock.net in the hope that someone might be able to help.
    I talked management into letting me spend $4200 on this thing and it won't even stay on.

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    (5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Ultra Aluminus Card Reader, eSATA, USB3.0
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Re: ASRock X79 Extreme 11 - New Build for Work - Shuts Off in BIOS - Please Help!

your board uses 1.65v

Comment

Re: ASRock X79 Extreme 11 - New Build for Work - Shuts Off in BIOS - Please Help!

Thx for the reply t3kn33k!
      So, does that mean the RAM I have is not going to work or just requires voltage adjustments?
      I jumped on Crucial's web site this morning and used the memory advisor tool for this board and it indicates that DDR3-17000 1.5v is acceptable/recommended.
      Can you offer any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this further in order to determine if it's the memory or maybe a DOA board?

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
      Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
      Evga GeForce GTX 580
      Ultra X4 1600W PSU
      Lite On BD Burner
      ASUS CD/DVDRW
      Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
      Ultra Aluminus Card Reader, eSATA, USB3.0
      Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
      Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
      Logitech G19 Keyboard
      Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

I have an ASRock Z68 board and am using 4 sticks of Mushkin Redline 2133MHz RAM in it. That RAM, and most other 2133 RAM is designed to use a voltage of 1.650v. If the BIOS doesn't detect it automatically using the XMP profile, then manually adjust the RAM voltage to 1.650. You can also try to increase the VTT memory controller voltage some. My Z68 board has VTT default at 1.050v, but increasing it to 1.116v helped improve stability.

Comment

Sorry fellas...I'm an idiot, but not afraid to admit it.
          ASRock Support got back to me today (within 24hrs of submitting my issue!) and asked me to look at the temps.
          Like a nOOb, I had not checked this and it turns out that I used the wrong standoffs to install the Corsair Cooler...doh!
          Got that rectified and I'm back in business.
          Thx for the help! This place is awesome.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
          Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
          Evga GeForce GTX 580
          Ultra X4 1600W PSU
          Lite On BD Burner
          ASUS CD/DVDRW
          Klipsch Pro Media 5.1