Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 - Error Code 23

Hi All,

Hoping that ASRock staff or some other members can provide a simple answer to this issue.

I had my motherboard returned from warranty yesterday as the two of the four RAM slots had failed in May and at the end of June, after having used the RAM sticks without issue in the remaining two slots, the computer would no longer turn on, presenting Dr Debug error code 23 which is not listed in the manual.

When the motherboard returned, I set it all up again and am still getting the same error 23 when attempting to power up.

Regardless of what error 23 actually represents, the RAM slots were faulty (tested with other RAM) so the motherboard needed replacing anyway.

Now, I'm naturally quite interested and eager to find out what error code 23 actually means.

The computer does not activate the screens through either onboard or PCIe graphics and does not even seem to reach POST.

I found one small reference to error code 23 on another forum and this mentioned that it might be a dead CPU.

I have sent a message to ASRock Tech Support through the official web form on the website but am yet to receive a response.

Has anyone encountered error 23 before? or does anyone have a definitive answer for what error 23 might be?

Just need to know so I know whether to go further with ASRock warranty or whether I should be talking to Intel instead.

Many thanks.

Regards,
    Frood.

Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 - Error Code 23

Dear Frood,

Debug code "23" is related to CPU and memory.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Clear CMOS to try.
    2. Re-install CPU and memory for testing.
    3. Only install a stick memory to each slots by turns to verify.
    4. If possible, please kindly change other memory or CPU for testing.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
      Dear Frood,

Debug code "23" is related to CPU and memory.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
      1. Clear CMOS to try.
      2. Re-install CPU and memory for testing.
      3. Only install a stick memory to each slots by turns to verify.
      4. If possible, please kindly change other memory or CPU for testing.
      Thanks, Emily, I really appreciate your quick response!

In regards to your testing notes:
      1. I have used the CMOS Clear button on the motherboard throughout each of my tests. Unfortunately, it has not rectified the issue.
      2. The CPU has been freshly installed after receiving the motherboard back from ASRock warranty.
      3. I have tested with single and multiple sticks of RAM in all four RAM slots.
      4. I have tested single and multiple RAM sticks from different manufacturers, all of which were working prior to the RAM slots failing originally - an issue which I would hope to assume has been rectified through the recent repair/replacement of this motherboard. The shop through which this motherboard was purchased has apparently also tested this motherboard prior to returning it to me.

Unfortunately, I do not have a spare Intel 1155 socket CPU with which I can test my current motherboard, or a spare Intel 1155 socket motherboard in which I can test my CPU.

Do you have any other suggestions or further details about error 23?

Thanks.

Regards,
      Frood.

Comment

Notice that in the list of error codes in the manual, that all the numbers start with "0x". That means the numbers displayed are in base 16, or hexadecimal. Hexadecimal uses 16 digits instead of 10 like decimal, and uses the letters A - F for extra digits beyond 9.

If you look at the list of error codes from the beginning, go down the list until you see "0x1C", it's on the first page of Status codes. Just below 0x1C, you'll see the entry 0x1D - 0x2A. Counting in hexadecimal up from 1D goes, 1F, 20, 21, 22, 23... 2A, and beyond. I hope you see that we found your 23 error code, which is "OEM pre-memory initialization codes". That tells you not much more.

It looks like they sent your board back in the same condition it was in when you sent it. It could be the CPU, since the memory controller is in the CPU.

But, much more common is bent pins in the CPU socket. You'll need to remove the CPU to look at them. You might even take a digital picture of the socket contacts, put it on another PC, and zoom in on the picture to check the pins. This is much more common then a bad CPU.

Regarding checking the CPU and board, Intel will tell you the same thing ASRock did, try a different CPU in your board, and your CPU in a different board.

Comment

Hi Frood,

If you don't have another CPU on your side, I suggest you can take your system to the shop for testing it.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
          ASRock TSD
          Emily

Comment

Thanks for your comments...

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            Counting in hexadecimal
            I totally didn't even consider that... Thanks... This perfectly explains these "missing" codes.

But, much more common is bent pins in the CPU socket. You'll need to remove the CPU to look at them. You might even take a digital picture of the socket contacts, put it on another PC, and zoom in on the picture to check the pins. This is much more common then a bad CPU.
            Yes, I've considered that this could be an issue and will be checking it out when I get home this evening, however, I'm not confident that it's a bent socket pin issue as error code 23 was the issue I was having prior to the board being sent to ASRock for warranty after I had the issues with 2 out of 4 RAM slots.

I will check the pins tonight, take some photos and see what shows up...

It looks like they sent your board back in the same condition it was in when you sent it. It could be the CPU, since the memory controller is in the CPU.
            If, however, a dead CPU itself is the faulty part, then ASRock sending the board back in the same condition would make perfect sense.

Even more-so if the memory controller on the CPU was the original cause of two of the four RAM slots "failing".

Regarding checking the CPU and board, Intel will tell you the same thing ASRock did, try a different CPU in your board, and your CPU in a different board.
            I'm taking the CPU to a local shop tomorrow and paying a small fee for them to put it in one of their boards to test as I don't have a spare board.

Getting another 1155 chip to conduct the cross-test of my current board will be difficult.

I will post back with my photo results later on this evening and also the results of the testing at the local shop tomorrow.

Comment

Ok, CPU has been removed from the motherboard and put back into its box ready to go to the local shop tomorrow. Socket protection plate is in place too ;)

After a close inspection of both the CPU and motherboard socket, I couldn't see any bent pins or evidence of burning.

Will see how the test goes at the shop tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Frood View Post
                Ok, CPU has been removed from the motherboard and put back into its box ready to go to the local shop tomorrow. Socket protection plate is in place too ;)

After a close inspection of both the CPU and motherboard socket, I couldn't see any bent pins or evidence of burning.

Will see how the test goes at the shop tomorrow...
                Memory problem can also happen if the memory slot is clogged or improperly seated,just my 2 cents.
                Speed is the limit

Comment

Ok, CPU handed into the local computer shop.

Should get testing results this afternoon.

Appreciate the comments and suggestions from everyone.

Comment

Should get testing results this afternoon.
                    Testing results are in.

The shop staff put my CPU into one of their motherboards and it was not functional and displayed the same issues that I was experiencing (no display, no POST, etc).

The shop staff then put one of their CPUs into the same motherboard and the computer booted without any issues.

I'll be heading to another local computer shop this afternoon which sells really basic 1155-socket CPUs for a good price so that I can 1) confirm that the rest of the hardware is operational and 2) use the computer until my CPU gets back from warranty.

Will post back this evening with my results using the basic CPU - which should hopefully show that my ASRock board has no issues.

Comment

Will post back this evening with my results using the basic CPU - which should hopefully show that my ASRock board has no issues.
                      Purchased an Intel Pentium G850 CPU this afternoon and installed it - absolutely perfect!
                      This confirms that my ASRock motherboard and associated components are operational and there is zero evidence of RAM slot issues that I was experiencing before.

This also confirms that my Intel i7 2700K CPU (and is faulty.

I will be arranging warranty for the i7 over the coming days and will keep this thread updated until my i7 is installed again as it is the only thread I've found on Google which deals with error code 23 in such detail.

Again, thanks all for your comments an suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                      X