Z77 Extreme 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Z77 Extreme 6

Yes nice memory speed, most memory will only run at its rated speed, and no more. There really are some new very high speed types of memory coming out, Corsair has one that is rated at 3000

The 31.9 GB useable display, I don't know, what is showing that? What does Windows or the UEFI show for memory size?

XMP (really XMP data) is just an extension of the JEDEC memory settings, designed by Intel. It does not use up memory, XMP data is stored in the SPD data area, which is not used by the PC as memory.

XMP data is used to store the fastest memory settings the manufacture states the memory can achieve. But to make sure that high speed memory will work on more PCs, or the first time you put it in your PC, the default memory settings are slower, just to be safe, so the PC will always start. Then to make it simple to get the memory running at its highest speed, you can select XMP in the BIOS, and the board will use those settings for the memory, instead of the slower default settings. If a PC cannot work at the higher speed and BSODs, it will switch back to the default speed settings. Less trouble for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post

The 31.9 GB useable display, I don't know, what is showing that? What does Windows or the UEFI show for memory size?

XMP (really XMP data) is just an extension of the JEDEC memory settings, designed by Intel. It does not use up memory, XMP data is stored in the SPD data area, which is not used by the PC as memory.
      It is seen in when clicked Computer > Properties. It shows full 32 GB during boot up and in UEFI
      Speed is the limit

Comment

It might be because you have the maximum amount of memory your board can use, 32 GB.

What does Windows Resource Monitor show in the Memory tab?

Comment

It might be because you have the maximum amount of memory your board can use, 32 GB.

What does Windows Resource Monitor show in the Memory tab?
          It was showing 15.9 GB when I was using 16GB
          Checked,shows 32 GB
          Speed is the limit

Comment

That's good, must have been a memory leak earlier...

It could be worse, someone posted about why they only saw 3GB out of 8GB installed... (32 bit Windows... )

Comment

That's good, must have been a memory leak earlier...

It could be worse, someone posted about why they only saw 3GB out of 8GB installed... (32 bit Windows... )
              No no, What I said was everywhere it shows ok except when seen through Computer > properties where it shows 31.9 usable
              Speed is the limit

Comment

I see. I doubt it is a problem, just some odd thing in Windows related to the large amount of memory you have. Are you really worried about 100MB of memory not available, if it really is, out of all that memory?
                Last edited by parsec; 08-21-2012, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I see. I doubt it is a problem, just some odd thing in Windows related to the large amount of memory you have. Are you really worried about 100MB of memory not available, if it really is, out of all that memory?
                  It does'nt really matter but curious to know why is it happening. It never happened with AMD .
                  It appears that some driver is sharing memory. Could be some TSR or such
                  Speed is the limit

Comment

Today I purchased the ASRock Z77 Extreme 6. I'm looking for the best OC settings,
                    while still being "safe". I'm using a Cooler Master for extra
                    cooling. I'm new to over-clocking (OC). Do you recommend changing the settings
                    in the BIOS, or using the tuning utility?

Comment

You should start your own thread with your questions.

A "Cooler Master" does not tell us how good your cooler is, the exact model is needed.

Your CPU being an Intel i7 is again not exact enough.

Your system specs say you have a Z77 Extreme 4. Your post says Extreme 6.

Comment

Working...
                      X