Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Using sandy Bridge CPU, necessary update BIOS to 2.20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Using sandy Bridge CPU, necessary update BIOS to 2.20?

Hey all, Just wondering if updating BIOS to 2.20 gets any improvement on system or something?
    I am still using a i7-2600K cpu, and may not buying ivy bridge in short time, is the BIOS update just added the support for Ivy Bridge CPU or it has any other new stuff?

BTW, I am using the Extreme4 Gen3 P67 board...any suggestion to update it or stay the origin BIOS wait until I get a Ivy Bridge CPU?

Re: Still Using sandy Bridge CPU, necessary update BIOS to 2.20?

I highly recommend that you stay with your current pre-Ivy Bridge BIOS/UEFI and DO NOT flash any update or else you will join the ranks of unhappy folks who flashed the update with a Sandy Bridge CPU (not planning to upgrade to Ivy Bridge) and serious problems cropped up only to discover that you CANNOT downgrade your BIOS/UEFI backwards and the ONLY option is to get a replacement BIOS Chip pre-flashed to the last UEFI/BIOS version PRIOR to the release of the Ivy Bridge BIOS/UEFI
    my 2cents

Comment

Re: Still Using sandy Bridge CPU, necessary update BIOS to 2.20?

Originally posted by SaphireX View Post
      I highly recommend that you stay with your current pre-Ivy Bridge BIOS/UEFI and DO NOT flash any update or else you will join the ranks of unhappy folks who flashed the update with a Sandy Bridge CPU (not planning to upgrade to Ivy Bridge) and serious problems cropped up only to discover that you CANNOT downgrade your BIOS/UEFI backwards and the ONLY option is to get a replacement BIOS Chip pre-flashed to the last UEFI/BIOS version PRIOR to the release of the Ivy Bridge BIOS/UEFI
      my 2cents
      Would have to agree - I updated to vers 2.3 on my ext 7 and it borked my system more or less. It is a shame they don't offer two versions as their are seemingly nice improvements to be had,
      but not worth the result of a possible borked system.

Comment

Working...
      X