Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building HTPC, H77M-ITX w/i3 2125 processor, case is HT80 (9x8x3) What RAM???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building HTPC, H77M-ITX w/i3 2125 processor, case is HT80 (9x8x3) What RAM???

I am building a HTPC for use with XBMC. Have the processor i3-2125, board H77M-ITX, SDD OCZ Vortex 3....Need help with the RAM. Because of the small case I need a low profile memory. Sort of confused as to what speed and how much RAM I can use. Need 4GB of RAM, maybe 8 if price is not much different. Thanks, Jim

case: HT80 HTPC / mini itx desktop computer case with remote and power supply | eBay

Re: Building HTPC, H77M-ITX w/i3 2125 processor, case is HT80 (9x8x3) What RAM???

The type and speed of the memory you can use depends on your mother board more than anything else. The amount of memory you can use again depends on your board, and on the version of the OS you are using. Any Windows product that is 32 bit can only support 4GB of memory. Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit will support 16GB of memory.

If you need low profile RAM, then your case really makes no difference, your mother board (?) is what matters. Current boards like a H77 chipset board, can be picky about the memory they will accept, usually you must use what is listed on the boards QVL list of memory. Your ITX board may have only two RAM slots, but since you only need 4 - 8GB, that is not a problem.

There's a newer product that should be perfect for your build. That's the Samsung MV-3V series. It is the lowest profile memory you can find, will work in almost any board, is not picky about speed settings and can be run much faster than its stock specs. It's also $26 for two 2GB modules, or $47 for two 4GB modules at Newegg.

Comment

Working...
    X