Asrock 990FX Extreme 4 Fans and PWM not controlling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock 990FX Extreme 4 Fans and PWM not controlling

I have 120mm excalibur fan connected to the mother board 4 pin CPU for cooling the radiator on the corsair H60, my problem is what ever temp I set the AXTU too for the CPU target temp, the fan speed does not change. If I adjust the the fan target speed the fan does change speed. What should the settings in the bios be set too? Or is there a problem with the motherboard?

Re: Asrock 990FX Extreme 4 Fans and PWM not controlling

The CPU fan must be set to "Automatic Mode" in the UEFI/BIOS, if you want automatic speed control of the CPU cooler fan. The default mode in the UEFI is "Full On". Your AMD board may have other options, but I bet it is set to Full On.

The fan control settings and software on the newest ASRock boards is not very good IMO. The settings for the Chassis fans are pretty good, but the CPU fan speed control is primitive compared to other boards I use. The Target Temperature setting seems to do nothing at all, and the reaction time of the automatic CPU fan control is slow. That is the main disappointment I have with my ASR board (Z77 Ex 4.)

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      The CPU fan must be set to "Automatic Mode" in the UEFI/BIOS, if you want automatic speed control of the CPU cooler fan. The default mode in the UEFI is "Full On". Your AMD board may have other options, but I bet it is set to Full On.

The fan control settings and software on the newest ASRock boards is not very good IMO. The settings for the Chassis fans are pretty good, but the CPU fan speed control is primitive compared to other boards I use. The Target Temperature setting seems to do nothing at all, and the reaction time of the automatic CPU fan control is slow. That is the main disappointment I have with my ASR board (Z77 Ex 4.)
      Thanks for the reply I figured out the settings this morning. But your right the controlis very bad it looks like it only controls within +/- 2C .

Would you or anyone else happen to know if it is hardware or software controlled and if Asrock has been contacted and are they doing anything about it?

Comment

The fan speed control in Windows supplied by AXTU (on Intel boards) is really identical to what you can do in the UEFI. The chip used for the temperature sensors, fan speed, and other data, the Nuvoton HCT6776F, also provides the fan speed control. That chip is controlled by the ASR software and the UEFI, so the fan speed control is both hardware and software based.

IMO, that chip is not the limiting factor in this boards fan speed control. It is the identical chip used in my ASUS SaberTooth P67 board, which has great fan speed software, the best I've ever used. It has multiple fan speed profiles that are shown as graphs on a standard X-Y coordinate plane, which defines fan speed vs temperature. You can create your own profile for the CPU fan and the Chassis fans, and choose what device's temperature is monitored, such as the PCH chipset, voltage regulators, RAM, and others. It is also always active, once set up, when the PC boots or wakes from Sleep, so the fans don't run at full speed until the software is active, as they do with these ASR boards. A recent review of my board I read had a comment about the very simple fan speed control software, so I'm sure that there is no bug or problem with the software, it simply is what it is.

I found a manual for the Nuvoton chip, and even a quick read of some parts of it indicated to me that the capabilities of that chip are barely used, even by the good software on my ASUS board. Ridiculous, but true AFAIK.

Comment

Working...
        X