Z68 Ext 7 Gen 3 Bios problems - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68 Ext 7 Gen 3 Bios problems - please help

Hope somebody can help me, as I am having huge problems with my Asrock Extreme 7 gen 3 board.
    Everything was going fine until I finally gave in and updated my bios to vers 2.30. All initially seemed ok,
    but then I noticed that only half of my G skill F3 12800 CL9D memory was being recognised.This was not the only problem:-

No XMP for memory in bios - so only have a choice of 1066 or 1333, neither is correct.
    None of the pre overclocks can be applied and cpu multi is only available from 16 to 39 on my 2700K sandy
    Unable to set cpu multi any higher than 39 with or without turbo.
    So at present I am unable to overclock at all, and only half my ram is available - only 1 bank works at a time - despite
    the fact that all memory slots work - hope this makes sense?

What I have tried:-
    Memory timings are actually set correctly in bios - the only thing it has got right!!!!
    Tested, memory,cpu and mobo under diagnostics at dos level (PC check) all fine.
    Can only flash version 2.3 or vers 2.22 - won't allow me to flash back to any 1 series bios.
    Tried cmos reset, and battery out, loading defaults, all to no avail.
    I very much suspect that somehow the bios has become unreliable - despite the fact it still works otherwise.
    Anybody got any ideas how I can solve this issue - Asrock Emily perhaps?
    Any one found a reliable way to flash back to earlier 1 series bios - as no dos flash utility seems available for these boards????
    Help please!!!!

Mark

Re: Z68 Ext 7 Gen 3 Bios problems - please help

I had similar problems flashing my bios to 2.1 and had to purchase a CMOS chip from biosdepot and they put on BIOS 1.3 for me as that is what my board came with.

BIOS CHIP:ASROCK Z68 Extreme7 GEN3 | eBay

Luck
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

Hi Tipes.
      Please read these threads, maybe it can help you.

Comment

Version 2.10, states not to flash back to older, so flashing to this might be ok, as I see you said version 2.22 and 2.3 .

Don't think it would work but you can try and name the old version the new version and try, if the BIOS see's the version inside of it, you can ask on the Gigabyte modded bios thread, if ACEBMXER can change the version number in the older 2.10 to a newer BIOS version, or try in the ASRock mod BIOS thread.

From what I read it sounds like you had a 1. version, but the oldest posted is 2.10.

You should differently send ASRock support an e-mail and consider what MarkJohnson said, they aren't expensive and its a good idea.

Sorry if any of this doesn't help.
        Last edited by odiebugs; 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJohnson View Post
          I had similar problems flashing my bios to 2.1 and had to purchase a CMOS chip from biosdepot and they put on BIOS 1.3 for me as that is what my board came with.

BIOS CHIP:ASROCK Z68 Extreme7 GEN3 | eBay

Luck
          -=Mark=-
          Hi,

Thanks for that if all else fails !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by odiebugs View Post
            Version 2.10, states not to flash back to older, so flashing to this might be ok, as I see you said version 2.22 and 2.3 .

Don't think it would work but you can try and name the old version the new version and try, if the BIOS see's the version inside of it, you can ask on the Gigabyte modded bios thread, if ACEBMXER can change the version number in the older 2.10 to a newer BIOS version, or try in the ASRock mod BIOS thread.

From what I read it sounds like you had a 1. version, but the oldest posted is 2.10.

You should differently send ASRock support an e-mail and consider what MarkJohnson said, they aren't expensive and its a good idea.

Sorry if any of this doesn't help.
            Hi,

Nope unable to flash vers 2.10 - despite it being on the stick - it wont even allow me to choose it. Tried renaming - no go.
            Have contacted support - will see if they bother to get back to me - if not may have to puchase a new bios as suggested above.

Thanks for your help

Mark

Comment

You might be able to get a BIOS chip from ASR, with an earleir BIOS on it. I've seen that happen at least once in posts in this forum. That may be your only option. If ASR recognizes 2.3 is bad, they may send it for free.

Comment

Sorry, I figured no harm taking a shot. I noticed after changing ROM's when checking the BIOS with a hex, the version is listed, and I have no clue how to change that. Somewhere in the firmware their must be a cat and config page that holds the version, wish it was easy to change and could have helped. Hope a new chip works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                  You might be able to get a BIOS chip from ASR, with an earleir BIOS on it. I've seen that happen at least once in posts in this forum. That may be your only option. If ASR recognizes 2.3 is bad, they may send it for free.
                  I will wait and see if support get back to me - but a new bios maybe the only solution. Lets hope Asrock realise the problem and fix it soon.

Mark

Comment

I think the new BIOS chip with an earlier BIOS version is the best solution.

I get the feeling the the newest UEFI/BIOS versions that have been changed to allow the Intel 6-series chipset boards to work with Ivy Bridge CPUs, screws it up for Sandy Bridge CPUs. You can find posts in other mother board forums where all kinds of weird problems happen when users updated their 6-series chipset boards to UEFI/BIOS that accomodate Ivy Bridge CPUs. I have an ASUS P67 board with an i7-2600K, and I won't touch the newest UEFI versions, at least until they get them right, if possible.

IMO, there are to many features that are different between SB and IB to allow one UEFI to accommodate both CPUs. Such as, IB is compatible with XMP 1.3, where SB is 1.2. Multipliers are different, memory speed capabilities are different, and I just read that IB is not compatible with Vista. Not a big deal for most users, but still seems very strange.

Using an IB CPU in a SB board (6-series chipset) makes no sense. You won't get all the features of the 7-series chipsets (mostly worthless anyway) and SB overclocks better than IB, and at lower temps. If you like to OC as high as possible, stick to SB, since IB hits the wall at ~4.6GHz.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
                      I think the new BIOS chip with an earlier BIOS version is the best solution.

I get the feeling the the newest UEFI/BIOS versions that have been changed to allow the Intel 6-series chipset boards to work with Ivy Bridge CPUs, screws it up for Sandy Bridge CPUs. You can find posts in other mother board forums where all kinds of weird problems happen when users updated their 6-series chipset boards to UEFI/BIOS that accomodate Ivy Bridge CPUs. I have an ASUS P67 board with an i7-2600K, and I won't touch the newest UEFI versions, at least until they get them right, if possible.

IMO, there are to many features that are different between SB and IB to allow one UEFI to accommodate both CPUs. Such as, IB is compatible with XMP 1.3, where SB is 1.2. Multipliers are different, memory speed capabilities are different, and I just read that IB is not compatible with Vista. Not a big deal for most users, but still seems very strange.

Using an IB CPU in a SB board (6-series chipset) makes no sense. You won't get all the features of the 7-series chipsets (mostly worthless anyway) and SB overclocks better than IB, and at lower temps. If you like to OC as high as possible, stick to SB, since IB hits the wall at ~4.6GHz.
                      Hi there,

Thanks for the reply - alot of what you say makes sense.Just wish I could turn the clock back and had not flashed. I will see if I can get Asrock to do anything first
                      but if not a new bios it will have to be, as I can not even sell the board on as it is.

Mark

Comment

Where is Asrock Emily or someone from Asrock to help with this serious issue - or do they not care!!!!!
                        Mark

Comment

I sent asrock an email. because they didn't take the time to put in the manual that they changed the memory slot and have removed the top retaining clips to a auto clip.

I received a quick response. I also got a email asking to contact dealer with questions, they don't like being bothered, or they didn't like my sarcasm about not fixing the manual with all its mistakes.

Comment

Dear tipes,

Please kindly contact me via PM, I will try to help you solve this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
                            ASRock TSD
                            Emily

Comment

Hi emily,

Yes I would very much like your help to solve this - have tried 3 times to pm you to no avail - times out or dissapears??????

Kind regards

Mark(Tipes)

Update:- Asrock have sent me a new 2.3 bios chip to install on the board via Asrock Emily (thank you kindly Emily) I will try this as soon as I am able too and report back.Quick service by Asrock
                              well done for that.

Mark
                              Last edited by tipes; 08-03-2012, 05:18 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

Working...
                              X