Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASROCK EXTREME4: Latest BIOS updates forcing me to significantly up the VCcore for non-WHEA Error i5-3570K stable OC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASROCK EXTREME4: Latest BIOS updates forcing me to significantly up the VCcore for non-WHEA Error i5-3570K stable OC

Hi everyone.

I'm currently having this issue ever since i updated the firmware 2 updates ago (currently running v 2.0).

I own a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and a i5-3570k and i was previously running a stable 4.7Hgz overclock without any WHEA errors for about a month now (at least during online gaming - Tera Online in this case). Was running in offset mode with +0.152v. Here are some additional details:

Everything set to default, except:

OC Tweaker:
    CPU Ratio: All Core
    All Core: 47
    Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    Aditional Turbo Voltage: +0.004v
    Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled
    Long Duration Power Limit: 500
    Short Duration Power Limit: 500
    Primary Plane Current Limit: 500
    Power Saving Mode: Disabled
    CPU Core Voltage: Offset Mode
    Offset: +0.152v
    CPU Load-Line Calibration: Level 2

Advanced CPU
    Enhanced Halt State (C1E): Enable
    CPU C3 State Support: Disable
    CPU C6 State Support: Disable
    Package C State Support: Disabled

Here's the thing... After updating the BIOS via internet flash (again, 2 updates ago with the problem still persisting with this latest update) my cpu is now requiring +0.205v offset to be able to run the OC without WHEA errors... I've tried fixed mode aswell, needing now to set it at 1.440v VCore. VCore was 1.38v-1.39v before.

Can anyone tell me what happened and why do i now need +205v offset (or VCore 1.440v) to have this OC free from WHEA errors? It was running fine at 4.7Ghz with +0152v offset before the BIOS update, WHEA-error free for more a month.

I also was messing around with some Core Parking utility before updating the BIOS, but after that i reseted and abandoned the program and reseted the BIOS aswell.

It is summer time and the suddent extra voltage now required is really not making me confortable at all.

I'd really appreciate some assistance.

Thanks in advance!

PS- I left additional hardware information in my profile.
    Last edited by Bugamis; 07-17-2012, 05:31 PM.

Re: ASROCK EXTREME4: Latest BIOS updates forcing me to significantly up the VCcore for non-WHEA Error i5-3570K stable OC

Did you load optimized defaults before updating?
    Also (for me anyway) the only way I flash bios is by using Instant Flash.
    GA-Z97X-UD5H rev 1.0 F9f
    i7-4790K
    Trident X 2400C9D-8GTXD
    Asus GTX 970 Strix
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB Ocz Vector 150 240GB Samsung 840 Evo 250GB
    Fractal Design R4
    Noctua NH-U14S
    SeaSonic 660XP2
    Creative Extreme Music
    U2412M
    Windows 10 x64 Pro

Comment

Re: ASROCK EXTREME4: Latest BIOS updates forcing me to significantly up the VCcore for non-WHEA Error i5-3570K stable OC

I remember i reseted the BIOS several times, turns out it was not the BIOS that time, it was the monitor cable.

I don't really recall updating right after loading the OC settings but it's possible. Though i've reseted again after that and loaded again the OC settings and the issue seems to persist.

It might be a problem with the game i'm running (TERA online). I just notice that on certain ocasions it causes a whea error as i re-enter the game after alt+tabbing.

Then again i ran 2x anti-virus programs (one set on high resource mobilization) a youtube video and another 3 websites that use the flash player. Only at 1.440v set could i run all that during 10 mins without any WHEA error.

I ran another game yesterday for a long time and i dont recall any WHEAs...

I need to do further testing.

Comment

I've experienced OC instability with 1.80, which was put up because of issues with 1.70. I went back to my 1.30 and won't update my bios again until I read of several successful OC reviews with whatever new bios is out. My machine is a fine tuned machine with 1.30, no sense in hacking it up with a bios that doesn't play nicely with my video card. I didn't try to increase voltages, which may have helped, but I wasn't increasing them before and feel I should after. I only increase the multiplier and leave everything else as auto. But I'm running a 2600K
        Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
        i7-2600k i7-2600k
        G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
        Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
        EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
        Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
        Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Comment

Working...
        X