Hardware Failure - Unable to determine cause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Failure - Unable to determine cause

So recently I have experienced some really odd hardware failures, I'm not sure what is causing it I'll list all my hardware and I would love to hear from anyone that has any ideas of what might be going on.

Motherboard ASRock P55 Pro
    CPU i7 860
    RAM - F3-12800CL8D

HDD - 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
    SSD - 1 x
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Midrange Performance Solid State Drive (SSD) with Max 525MB/s Read and Max 4KB Write 85K IOPS- AGT3-25SAT3-120G
    ROM - DVR-111D Firmware 1.29

GPU - HD 5870
    PSU - Corsair TX650

External Peripherals

Logitech Keyboard - G19
    Logitech Mouse - G500
    Logitech Headset - G35

So the issue happening doesn't seem to be directly related to one specific thing. It has happened while gaming it has happened during ripping DVD and it has happened copying files from drive to drive. Now the symptoms when it does happen are always exactly the same.

1. The first thing that tells me it's hard locked is the Mouse Freezing but on top of that the G19 Keyboard goes completely dead no lights as if I just unplugged it from the Computer.
    2. Power on the system stays on and never shuts off.
    3. System is had locked and requires that I hit the PSU power switch to restart it.

Things that I have done to start trying to narrow down the issue.

1. Removed power from the 2 1T Hard drives and only ran on the 1 SSD.
    2. Removed power from all other devices, CDROM and anything the system doesn't need.

Boot back into Windows and start doing work again like previous until the issue occurs and it feels like I can recreate the occurrence every time just by opening 2 WoW Clients and running them both. Now I have no idea if this is power related mobo related or even video card related. I replaced the RAM recently to see if it was still happening and it is.

I'm pretty much at a blank at this point I can't figure out what is causing this or what I can do to remedy this situation. Anyone with any thoughts or insight on some steps I can take to see if there are any failures? I have run memtest overnight and it passes with no failures.

Re: Hardware Failure - Unable to determine cause

I have been researching around but it shouldn't be the PSU. Your CPU uses about 200W at full load and the max wattage I saw for your GPU is 250W which is way below what your PSU can do. I know from personal experience the same thing happened to me except instead of just freezing, I would get a blue screen after about 5 minutes of waiting. It turned out to be the GPU driver. I was getting blue screen for about a month until ATI released a stable driver for my GPU.

Comment

Working...
    X