AsRock Extreme6 Z77 - Extreme problems and crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsRock Extreme6 Z77 - Extreme problems and crashes

Well ever since I built my computer I have been having problems with random crashes. I've done a whole bunch of stuff to help fix it. Replaced PSU, reinstalled windows, tried to check my RAM with memtest, reinstalled all drivers. The problem is my computer just hangs, some times the screen messes up and all sound messes up. There is no BSOD and no error in the event log other than Error 41 which is when I restart the computer. The bios is up to date, I updated it today to 1.60 and that just made the crashes come more frequently.

I have checked temperatures and that is definitely not the problem.

I really need help, and my be able to provide a reward to anyone who can fix this.

The only thing I can think would be the problem is the 24 pin connector for my PSU won't go in all of the way, however the system still boots.

This problem is random and can occur once a week or 5 times a day. Also sometimes it automatically reboots, sometimes it doesn't.

I found this as a review on Newegg and it's my exact problem. This guy blames the board.

Pros: Looked good, finding pinouts and assembly was relatively painless

Cons: Packaging was a little roughed up on delivery, but no signs of damage for the actual product. During 1 month ownership, frequent crashes (avg 2 per day), no BSOD, computer would freeze and the last split second of any audio at the time would repeat. 31 days after purchase (no more RMA), entire computer just dies and refuses to boot up. Tested PSU and all the pins were at the proper voltages. Unplugged all devices except CPU and 1 stick of RAM, but still no response from motherboard, no debug indicators, no fans, nothing. Followed procedure listed by ASROCK on their responses to other 1 egg reviews, and still no sign of the motherboard receiving power.

EDIT: It would be good to note that upon crash I have checked and there is no error code on Dr. Debug.
    Last edited by QuackzMcDuck; 06-25-2012, 03:16 AM.

Re: AsRock Extreme6 Z77 - Extreme problems and crashes

IMO, you must resolve the problem with the 24 pin PS connector before deciding the board or something else is wrong. That connector should go in smoothly and lock in place. Is that PS cable to short, with not enough slack to work with? There are 24 pin extension cables you can get if that is the problem. If the contacts between the PS cable and the boards socket are not right, a momentary need for more power might not be being provided, and the PC crashes.

With the PC off (of course, sorry) spend some time getting that PS cable in place. You should not force it. Remove the PS plug and check the pins in it and in the boards socket. They should all be equal in length, none shorter in the plug. If some are, find that wire and carefully push it so the pin moves forward to its correct position. If the PS plug has the detachable four pin part for use with a 20 pin board socket, make sure that is firmly attached and aligned with the rest of the plug. If you need more slack in the cable, temporarily re-route that cable to allow a correct connection, if necessary. Before you plug it in to the board, carefully bend the wires so they don't create any stress on the plug when it is plugged into the board. If the cable is just to short, try an extension cable. What PS are you using now?

Comment

Re: AsRock Extreme6 Z77 - Extreme problems and crashes

Originally posted by parsec View Post
      IMO, you must resolve the problem with the 24 pin PS connector before deciding the board or something else is wrong. That connector should go in smoothly and lock in place. Is that PS cable to short, with not enough slack to work with? There are 24 pin extension cables you can get if that is the problem. If the contacts between the PS cable and the boards socket are not right, a momentary need for more power might not be being provided, and the PC crashes.

With the PC off (of course, sorry) spend some time getting that PS cable in place. You should not force it. Remove the PS plug and check the pins in it and in the boards socket. They should all be equal in length, none shorter in the plug. If some are, find that wire and carefully push it so the pin moves forward to its correct position. If the PS plug has the detachable four pin part for use with a 20 pin board socket, make sure that is firmly attached and aligned with the rest of the plug. If you need more slack in the cable, temporarily re-route that cable to allow a correct connection, if necessary. Before you plug it in to the board, carefully bend the wires so they don't create any stress on the plug when it is plugged into the board. If the cable is just to short, try an extension cable. What PS are you using now?
      It's not that it is too short, it just won't go in any further. I have a Corsair GS700 and I've had two of them, both of which will not go in all of the way. But the board works fine (other than the crash of course.) so I don't see why that would be the problem of the crashes. I know the pins not going in all of the way is something to do with the power supply because I had a 650w that fit just fine, sadly, I had to return that. If I force the connector in any harder I'm going to end up breaking the board.

Comment

Working...
      X