A SLight Problem: No Free Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A SLight Problem: No Free Resources

Thanks to pjrs, I have a copy of the Beta BIOS 2.22A.

I was able to flash successfully, and once I had changed the settings in the BIOS, able to boot into Windows. Unfortunately, Device Manager still showed the same message "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)"

After un-installing and re-installing the 2nd card physically, and also the drivers, with the same result, I removed the sound card from Slot 6 (Which is used in Tri-SLi) and booted into Windows.... Success! No error message, and a little pop-up telling me I could enable SLi if I desired!

I then tried my sound card in Slot 5, and again was able to boot into Windows and there's still no error message in Device Manager.

Now to fix the other problems!
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K @3.4Ghz
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 with BIOS L2.22A
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    Graphics Card: MSI nVidia GTX 670 2GB x 2 (Model number: N670GTX-PM2D2GD5/OC )
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X
    Power Supply: Antec Signature 850W
    Solid State Disk: Crucial M4 256GB
    Hard Drives: 3 x Samsung F3 1TB (In R.A.I.D. 5)
    Case: Fractal Design Define XL

Operating System: 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

Comment

Originally posted by Coelicolour View Post
      So, it looks like it's not specific to MSI cards then or indeed the 2GB version.

Did you update the BIOS before trying the GTX 670s? Or, did you have the same problem with an older BIOS?

Looks like we might have to wait until ASRock releases a new BIOS.... :(
      I've just installed 2 x Asus GTX670 Direct CUII TOP in SLI but am having the same problem. Nothing else has changed, except replacing the 2 x
      Asus GTX580 Direct CUII

The only thing that gives temporary relief is removing the CMOS battery (clearing the jumper used to work but no longer does). The next time I have to re-start or shut down all that good work is undone, so I'm back to square one. At least I know both cards work in SLI, albeit briefly. I've also updated to the latest BIOS, updated the chipset drivers and re-installed Windows but that didn't work (as expected). I can't find any way to manually assign I/O, IRQ & DMA.

This must be a pure BIOS issue but there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with any of our cards. I don't expect a magic fix but will just keep an eye out for the next BIOS/chipset updates.

Comment

A curious problem, I wonder if it is related to the limited number of PCIe lanes available on these platforms, in contrast to X58/i7-900 series CPU systems, that have more PCIe lanes.

Shepster, did you check Device Manager, and Display Adapters, and check the Properties of your card(s). The Resources tab might show conflicts and might let you reassign IRQs, just a thought.

You could also look at the System devices entries, which lists the PCIe Root Ports, which might reveal the conflict and allow juggling IRQs, if that is something you dare fool with.

Those entries might show how that bad BIOS version is messing things up, if you're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
          A curious problem, I wonder if it is related to the limited number of PCIe lanes available on these platforms, in contrast to X58/i7-900 series CPU systems, that have more PCIe lanes.

Shepster, did you check Device Manager, and Display Adapters, and check the Properties of your card(s). The Resources tab might show conflicts and might let you reassign IRQs, just a thought.

You could also look at the System devices entries, which lists the PCIe Root Ports, which might reveal the conflict and allow juggling IRQs, if that is something you dare fool with.

Those entries might show how that bad BIOS version is messing things up, if you're lucky.
          Parsec - good tips but I've been there, done that. I can't find any way of manually assigning any Resources (and I'm not sure I'd know what to do either) I've even tried looking for some Resources settings in the BIOS.

This problem actually surfaced on the previous BOIS version, so maybe it's just something Asus haven't yet got to grips with. One thing I know for sure, their 1st-line support is s**t. It was as useful as a chocolate teapot and the suggestions looked disturbingly similar to some of the crap I've seen posted in Microsoft forums by 'experts' who cut & paste crap from Corn Flakes packets.

I've read somewhere that disabling in-game SLI (I forgot to mention, this problem only happens when I'm gaming and the only game I play is BF3 (on ultra settings)) could work. I've just gone to Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> Battlefield 3 and set 'SLI rendering mode' to 'Single GPU'. Only one way to find out...look out NOOBS!

Comment

Originally posted by shepster View Post
            I forgot to mention, this problem only happens when I'm gaming and the only game I play is BF3 (on ultra settings))
            Actually, it happens every time I restart the PC but the only time it happens in the middle of something is when I'm on BF3. I get a black screen and have to restart and when I get back in and go to Device Manager, both cards are disabled - the #1 card with a 'code 43' error ('Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.') and #2 card with the old 'code 12' error.

Comment

Originally posted by shepster View Post
              I've just installed 2 x Asus GTX670 Direct CUII TOP in SLI but am having the same problem. Nothing else has changed, except replacing the 2 x
              Asus GTX580 Direct CUII

The only thing that gives temporary relief is removing the CMOS battery (clearing the jumper used to work but no longer does). The next time I have to re-start or shut down all that good work is undone, so I'm back to square one. At least I know both cards work in SLI, albeit briefly. I've also updated to the latest BIOS, updated the chipset drivers and re-installed Windows but that didn't work (as expected). I can't find any way to manually assign I/O, IRQ & DMA.

This must be a pure BIOS issue but there shouldn't be any compatibility issues with any of our cards. I don't expect a magic fix but will just keep an eye out for the next BIOS/chipset updates.
              I've tried the latest official BIOS (2.30 at this time of writing) and it didn't solve any of the problems I've been having with SLi, so I went back to the beta BIOS L2.22A, which incidentally is available to download from the ASRock website. The only issue I have with this is that when I'm running a second monitor off the graphics chip integrated into the CPU, I can't shut down Windows properly, it just goes into a reboot cycle. I can live with this though as all I have to do is switch it off manually when the PC is about to start booting. Takes me back to the old AT times!

Originally posted by parsec View Post

The nVidia NF200 chip on these boards is supposed to generate more PCI-E lanes to combat the limited number present on this platform. Besides, everything was working fine until I updated to the Ivybridge compatible BIOSes.

Comment

Problem solved (I'm cautiously optimistic).

For Nvidia users & BF3 players the thing seems to be that BF3 must have 'SLI rendering mode' set to 'Single-GPU' in the Nvidia control panel (under 'Manage 3D settings'). The default setting is 'Use global setting', which seems to have caused all my problems.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having SLI but as soon as I chose that setting there are no more crashes and no more code 12 errors. Every time I re-start it's all good. I still have SLI enabled but for BF3 it's off.

Comment

any update on this problem, i have same Board and have the same Code 12 problem describe by the OP for SLI 2 GTX 670.

i have tried several BIOS, drivers update, even reinstall windows. all without success.

Comment

Which BIOS are you using? I tried using the 2.30 official release, but this did not work. The only BIOS that I've found to work reliably is the 2.22a Beta, which was available to download from the website.

Also, have you installed anything in slot 6 of your motherboard? If so, even with the 2.22a Beta BIOS, you will get the code 12 error. Remove any cards from this slot, and see if this solves your problem.

Comment

Which BIOS are you using? I tried using the 2.30 official release, but this did not work. The only BIOS that I've found to work reliably is the 2.22a Beta, which was available to download from the website.Also, have you installed anything in slot 6 of your motherboard? If so, even with the 2.22a Beta BIOS, you will get the code 12 error. Remove any cards from this slot, and see if this solves your problem.
                      right now i'm using BIOS 2.10, this problem start after i update to 2.30 from official website, before the update the 670 SLI run just fine, i downgrade to see if the problem solved but the Code 12 problem is still there. both card work in single GPU from any Slot (1, 2, 4, 6)

i have installed a Sound card in slot 6 two days ago but i think the problem start before that but i will try your suggestion today. i also tried to find BIOS 2.22A but no luck so far, do you still have copy of that BIOS? if you do, could you send it to my email, i would be happy to try that BIOS..

I really appreciate your reply man..thank you :D
                      Last edited by Mauriek; 04-09-2013, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to reply, I've been very busy unfortunately!

I notice that ASRock have released a new Beta BIOS: L2.33A, it might be worth trying this? It's available at this page: ASRock > Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 as well as L2.22A, which is the BIOS I'm currently using. I would unplug any other cards in your system, and get the graphics cards to work in SLi first before putting them back in.

Comment

Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to reply, I've been very busy unfortunately!

I notice that ASRock have released a new Beta BIOS: L2.33A, it might be worth trying this? It's available at this page: ASRock > Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 as well as L2.22A, which is the BIOS I'm currently using. I would unplug any other cards in your system, and get the graphics cards to work in SLi first before putting them back in.
                          Thank you for the information. i really appreciate it..

For the confirmation:

i have tried the 2.33A BIOS from the link, the result is not really good, all my hard drive 4 HD in RAID 0 configuration, 2 SSD non raid from SATA all from port 1-6 plus 2 HD and 1 DVD from Asmedia Sata port, all are not detected if i plug the second GPU, however the 2.22A BIOS work very well with both GPU plug in, with only one minus, we can't use the last PCIEX slot for anything because it will bring back the Code 12 error for the second GPU in device manager, and i tried putting sound card, Wifi card and Card reader, all will cause the second GPU unusable.

hope that information can help others with same problem.

Comment

Hey guys, sorry to be late to the party, I have been working with ASRock support for about 2 years on this problem (unsuccessfully on my end), but was finally able to use at least my two GTX 670s using a BIOS they sent me:

Now getting both of these to work and use my RAID card? That's another story...hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by gonenutsbrb View Post
                              Hey guys, sorry to be late to the party, I have been working with ASRock support for about 2 years on this problem (unsuccessfully on my end), but was finally able to use at least my two GTX 670s using a BIOS they sent me:

Now getting both of these to work and use my RAID card? That's another story...hope this helps.
                              thank you for sharing that, i will try it again, i'm still stuck with old BIOS because i'm not sure the latest BIOS will solve this problem. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X