is windows 7 compatible to install??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is windows 7 compatible to install??

Hi all after numerous problems with adding new motherboard and such I finally got a hard drive to attempt to load up after I Kept getting this IDE-0 hangup ,but anyway after my friend put his 350gb HD in I keep getting an error that windows can't load proper &repair Either this is what error report says Original title: Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically. the computer would take me to the Starting Windows section .When I ran the Startup Repair and it couldn't fix the problem.The problem signatures are Problem signature: Problem Event name : StartupRepairOffline Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385 Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385 Problem Signature 03: unknown Problem Signature 04: 21201006 Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover Problem Signature 06: 10 Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause POS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1 Locale ID:1033Is this because this motherboard isnt compatible with windows 7?motherboard is AsRock Model#K7VM3 any help.

Re: is windows 7 compatible to install??

It sounds like you are trying to load a Win 7 installation done on another PC (mother board) onto your new ASRock mother board. Or you replaced your board with a new ASRock board, and used the drive/Win 7 installation done on your previous mother board. Or you tried both of these.

A Windows installation links itself to the mother board used when it was installed. That is a Microsoft security thing, so you can't take a copy of the OS and use it for free on another PC. Changing other hardware will not cause an issue with a Windows installation, but if you change the mother board, you'll need to do a new installation of your copy of Windows.

There is no chance your ASRock board is not compatible with Windows 7, that is not the issue.

Comment

Thank you for the help.THis windows 7 wasinstalled to another pc/motherboard.I Will have to try something else.ThanX again.by the way when i get windows installed will my nvidia quadro 4 video card be compatible to this motherboard -AsRock motherboard model #K7VM3?

Comment

After windows is installed do i put my nvidia quadro 4 video card in one of the pci-slots

Comment

That video card will only fit where it is designed to fit, if that is a PCI slot then that's where it goes. It won't function in any other slot.

That is a rather antique video card, if that is the actual model (from 2002?!) PC years are about as long as dog years, and given the latter's eight to one ratio, that would make that card ~80 years old. Then again, you might have a small chance, since at least it will fit in your board, assuming it has a PCI slot, rather than an AGP card/slot, which won't be found on any mother board.

If it fits, then the question is will modern Windows drivers work with it? Who knows? Not to mention the actual driver for the card working with Windows, etc. If your mother board/CPU has onboard graphics, use that first before trying that old card. You'll definitely need to set in the BIOS which slot has the video card, if possible. Don't be surprised if it doesn't work, not to mention it will be far inferior to even the lowest end onboard graphics in CPUs. Good Luck!

Comment

Lol- he does have an AGP slot. His whole system is a 2002 system at best. He has a Socket A.

Sadly, I doubt win7 will even install on it period. It's just too slow and inefficient.

If you have another windows on it already, try running the win 7 upgrade advisor:
            Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Download - Microsoft Windows

System requirements:
            Windows 7 system requirements - Microsoft Windows

If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

with a single core 1.33GHz max 32-bit processor, single channel ddr1 mem at 2gb max and AGPx4 video may not quite pass muster. You may still be able to install anyhow, but I'm sure it would be painfully slow.

Luck
            -=Mark=-
            ps, I still have a socket 754 64-bit 2.0GHz single core processor, single channel 2gb ddr-400 memory and it runs fine at initial install of win7. But it bogs down really fast and most all programs lag. I turned it into a NAS machine, and replaced it as it just used too much power to run 24/7. It's now in my closet again.
            ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
              A Windows installation links itself to the mother board used when it was installed. That is a Microsoft security thing, so you can't take a copy of the OS and use it for free on another PC. Changing other hardware will not cause an issue with a Windows installation, but if you change the mother board, you'll need to do a new installation of your copy of Windows.
              Not really. Although Windows does tie itself to hardware for activation, we replace dead motherboards with different models all the time, sometimes proc and video as well at the same time, and never have to reinstall windows. Although sometimes running a repair is necessary, usually Windows boots right up, installs drivers, maybe a re-boot or two, and it's good to go. In a business environment it takes too long to do a complete re-install, and re-install all the software that a user needs.

If it's been more than 180 days since the original install, even the online activation will work without issue. Sometimes you have to make a short phone call and explain that you have repaired the computer, but they have never refused to activate a system for us.

Comment

Working...
              X