Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 work with new ivy bridge i5 cpu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 work with new ivy bridge i5 cpu?

Sorry if there's already a thread about this question. Today I purchased a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard along with a i5-3570k Ivy Bridge processor from NewEgg. I'm getting mixed information here about weather or not the motherboard will work with the new CPU right out of the box. I'm also hearing that they won't work together until I update the BIOS. Can someone please clear this up for me? Thank you. Also how do I update the motherboard Bios?
    EDIT: Since I ordered mine today, would it have shipped with an updated BIOS (2.10)?
    Last edited by ayyo; 05-22-2012, 03:01 PM.

Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 work with new ivy bridge i5 cpu?

Every Asrock board I have ever purchased has come with the initial release bios, even if the board was made many months and updates later. That's one of the reasons I chose to go with an SB chip when I got a new Asrock board a few weeks ago. Sure enough, although the board has been available for a year and has had 4 updates, it came with revision 1.00 bios.

Since 2.10 has only been available a few weeks, I am sure it won't come installed with it.

Comment

Thanks, well I guess I figured it wouldn't haha. My next question is, can I do a BIOS update via flash drive with my ivy bridge cpu in the motherboard?

Comment

As far as I know, it won't even post with an Ivy Bridge unless you have the bios update. That's why I got an SB. I see no advantage to IB anyways.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I'm SOL then.

Comment

Originally posted by ayyo View Post
            Thanks for the replies, sounds like I'm SOL then.
            I've read that Asrock will supply bios chips already flashed for a fee. Personally, since they advertise the boards as Ivy Bridge compatible, and have for some time now, I think they should do it free of charge.

Comment

Originally posted by ayyo View Post
              Sorry if there's already a thread about this question. Today I purchased a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 motherboard along with a i5-3570k Ivy Bridge processor from NewEgg. I'm getting mixed information here about weather or not the motherboard will work with the new CPU right out of the box. I'm also hearing that they won't work together until I update the BIOS. Can someone please clear this up for me? Thank you. Also how do I update the motherboard Bios?

EDIT: Since I ordered mine today, would it have shipped with an updated BIOS (2.10)?
              I just put together my system with an ivy Bridge Core i5. It did not post. A sticker on the board says H67M P1.80-15A. I figure that is the bios version.
              When I try to boot I get 4 short beeps. Fans spin, but no video and no further boot.

I would need to borrow a Sandy Bridge CPU to update the bios. I don't know where I could find one of those.

Comment

Dear ayyo,

Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 can support Ivy Bridge CPU with BIOS P2.10.

If the BIOS of your motherboard is older than P2.10, please kindly contact me via PM.
                I will help to solve this issue.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
                ASRock TSD
                Emily

Comment

hello I have the asrock p67 4 B2 extreme and I have updated to firmware 3.10.

Now I can do it does not gain oc 34x. and the turbo mode does not work.

take out a BIOS update to solve this problem?

thanks

Comment

B2 revision boards are not compatible with new UEFI that supports Ivy Bridge.

Today "new" UEFI showed again but now they are equiped with Windows flash tool which check if you have B3 board. If you have B2 then installator won't flash new UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by radier View Post
                      B2 revision boards are not compatible with new UEFI that supports Ivy Bridge.

Today "new" UEFI showed again but now they are equiped with Windows flash tool which check if you have B3 board. If you have B2 then installator won't flash new UEFI.

solution??

thanks

Comment

It's too late for solution.

You shouldn't touch new UEFI unless you were planning for quick swap to Ivy Bridge.

Now it's game over mate.

:f

Comment

Originally posted by maddoxej View Post
                          I just put together my system with an ivy Bridge Core i5. It did not post. A sticker on the board says H67M P1.80-15A. I figure that is the bios version.
                          When I try to boot I get 4 short beeps. Fans spin, but no video and no further boot.

I would need to borrow a Sandy Bridge CPU to update the bios. I don't know where I could find one of those.
                          --
                          Edit. I did borrow a Sandy Bridge CPU. It booted up and I was able to upgrade the BIOS. I had to install windows to get to the Windows firmware updater. The Firmware updater built into the BIOS didn't work.
                          then I replaced the Sandy Bridge CPU with an Ivy Bridge one and it worked.

Comment

Working...
                          X