Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock Extreme6 and G.SKILL Sniper Memtest86 errors when using all 4 slots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Extreme6 and G.SKILL Sniper Memtest86 errors when using all 4 slots?

Using 2 sets (total of 4 sticks) of G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) ram, I get memory errors in the built in Windows 7 memory diagnostics as well as Memtest on my new build.
    I have set the memory voltage and timing in the bios to 9-9-9-24 1.25V per the ram specifications, and still get the same issue. This only seems to happen if I use all 4 slots. Using 1 ram slot or 2 at a time, I do not seem to get the same errors. I have also used combinations of 1 and 2 sticks in alternating ram slots trying to determine if one is bad.

I had kept the timing and voltage to 'auto' and let the mb set this, and I would get memtest86 errors after only a few minutes in the above scenario. Setting it manually seems to have helped as it took overnight to finally get memtest to report an error but it did eventually.

Is there something I am doing wrong? I am not an overclocker, so I have not changed any other settings in an attempt to do so.
    I am just concerned that something is defective with the RAM, CPU, or MB, or there is something I need to change in order to use all 4 ram slots.
    It should still be exchangeable by Newegg, but do not want to go through the trouble if it's just an error on my part.

Any ideas are appreciated.

- ASRock Z77 Extreme6
    - i5 3570k
    - 560 ti 1gb
    - 16gb (4x 4gb sticks) G.Skill Sniper ram
    - Corsair 650 Watt

Re: ASRock Extreme6 and G.SKILL Sniper Memtest86 errors when using all 4 slots?

Think I found it. I just changed the voltage on the ram to 1.3 from 1.25.
    20 hours on memtest and no errors.

All that and I missed something that easy.

Comment

Dear pohsib,

I test G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 memory (4GBx4, 1.25V) with Z77 Extreme6 BIOS P1.40 and do Prime95 test for 12 hours.
      System works well, I didn't see the symptom.

Please update BIOS P1.40 from below link to try.
      Link: http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.as...xtreme6&o=BIOS

Thanks!

Have a nice day
      ASRock TSD
      Emily

Comment

Dear customer,

After we double check this issue, we use "low marginal CPU" to test the memory and could see the error in memtest86+.
        Then we increase DRAM voltage to 1.30V, memtest86+ is passed for 8 hours.

This issue should be related to your CPU.

Note: The Intel spec. of DDR3L is 1.35V, G.Skill Sniper 1.25V low voltage memory is also lower than the Intel spec.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
        ASRock TSD
        Emily

Comment

I noticed that G.Skill claims 1.25v for the 2x4GB kit, and 1.35 for the 4x4GB kit (same part number on ram). I was checking the specs on Newegg, as I was looking to pick up a second set of 2x4GB

Comment

Working...
          X