2.10 bios update killed Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.10 bios update killed Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

I have i5 2500k CPU and Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 mobo. Everything worked fine until I've decided to update bios to 2.1 in hopes of changing CPU to IB in near future.
    I've used USB memory stick to flash it. It went without a hitch and it did say that "... update successful - press any key to reboot". So I did and that's when all the problems started.

It wouldn't POST. Just powers on and in a couple of seconds powers off, then powers on again and off - the cycle continues endlessly :/
    Before it powers off dubug shows code 59.

I unplubbed it from the wall... I've tried to clear CMOS with a button, jumper, by removing battery - nothing helps.

I've never had problems with officially released BIOS updates before this MBs.. :(

Any other ideas?? Or RMA is the only option?

Re: 2.10 bios update killed Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Try an extended cmos clear with the power supply unplugged from the wall outlet, jumper the cmos clearing pins and remove the motherboard battery.
    It might be successful after 30 minutes, a couple of hours, or possibly after 8 hours or longer.

Make sure that all your wires and cables are secure and that all hardware is fully seated.
    Try booting with a minimal hardware setup where your only goal is to get into the bios.
    Disconnect all hardware and cables that aren't needed for entering the bios including:
    • all disk drives (ssd, hdd, usb, optical, etc.)
    • all usb devices except your keyboard and mouse
    • audio and network cards
    • front case usb, audio, etc. wire connectors to your motherboard
    boot with only one memory module installed
    It's possible that there is a coincidental failure with your power supply.
    If all else fails, you should remove your motherboard from the computer case and set it on a cardboard box beside you computer case and repeat these tests.

Can you borrow another psu, memory or cpu to test with?
    What brand/model number is your cpu heatsink setup?
    Have you made any recent hardware changes to your system.

We can best help you if you create a detailed hardware list in your forum signature or in the PC Specs section at the bottom of your EDIT PROFILE page http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by khel View Post
      It went without a hitch and it did say that "... update successful - press any key to reboot".
      Did you removed then pendrive from USB? If you did then it is your fault. After reboot there is another part of flashing (Intel ME Firmware from ver. 7 to 8)

Comment

Originally posted by radier View Post
        Did you removed then pendrive from USB? If you did then it is your fault. After reboot there is another part of flashing (Intel ME Firmware from ver. 7 to 8)
        Hmm.. I think that's what happened. I did remove USB drive.. Though I don't see where it is my fault as nowhere was it mentioned not to :( When I'm told that "update successfully completed" - I rightfully assume that it is indeed completed ....

Anyway, I'm going to try "extended cmos clear" etc. Though something tells me that it's not going to help.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by khel View Post
          Though I don't see where it is my fault as nowhere was it mentioned not to
          Oh really? And what about fact that you have to read a warning before downloading UEFI from ASRock website:

Note:
          1. To support Intel's 3rd Generation (Ivy Bridge) CPU, corresponding BIOS, drivers, and AXTU update are required.
          2. After updating BIOS, please press any key to restart your system. At this moment, please do not remove the USB flash until Intel ME F/W update is finished.
          3. After you finish updating this BIOS, please reboot your system.
          4. Please only flash newer versions of BIOS in the future.
          So next time read carefully.

Comment

Oh really? And what about fact that you have to read a warning before downloading UEFI from ASRock website:

So next time read carefully.
            Hmm.. You are right. Must have missed that part :( .

Well, now the question is - can it be fixed?

Comment

If your still running a Sandy Bridge CPU probably the shortest way to roll back to a "working UEFI" is to order a CMOS chip from badflash.com pre-flashed to the earlier UEFI that worked on your rig, and swap out the chip.
              I have not read of anyone sucessfully updating to these Ivy Bidge/Sandy Bridge UEFI updates EXCEPT for radier...

Comment

Many users on polish forums have no issues just like me.
                One guy have same board and same CPU as me and yet he reports locked ratio and RAM frequency at 1333MHz.

I think all problems are users related (great example we have above) because I don't belive that mine P67 Extreme4 works like a charm and other identical board after flashing have some issues.

Judge it by yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by SaphireX View Post
                  If your still running a Sandy Bridge CPU probably the shortest way to roll back to a "working UEFI" is to order a CMOS chip from badflash.com pre-flashed to the earlier UEFI that worked on your rig, and swap out the chip.
                  I have not read of anyone sucessfully updating to these Ivy Bidge/Sandy Bridge UEFI updates EXCEPT for radier...
                  Thanks a lot SaphireX! That's what I thought. I've found one on ebay, hopefully that'll work :)

p.s. looks like I can get a new bios chip directly from asrock for $15+shipping
                  Last edited by khel; 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Did you tried to boot your PC with that pendrive and UEFI on it?

Comment

How do you know if the Intel ME firmware gets updated properly?

Is there a way to confirm this?

Comment

It is a process similar to UEFI updating.
                        If that process was started it always ends with 100% success.

Comment

It is a process similar to UEFI updating.
                          If that process was started it always ends with 100% success.
                          I ran my Z68 Pr03-M 2.10 bios update from a FAT partition on my HDD. The bios update completed successfully and on reboot I didn't see any mention of the ME F/W update nor the 100% success remark. I am still using a i7 2600K cpu.
                          Is there a way that I can check if the ME F/W has been updated or not?

Comment

This is why you should perform UEFI update from USB pendrive.

Comment

This is why you should perform UEFI update from USB pendrive.
                              Tried it with USB pendrive and makes no difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X