A75 Extreme6 - BIOS keeps resetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A75 Extreme6 - BIOS keeps resetting

Hello, I just bought an ASRock Extreme6 MB and it's having a fit everytime I change a setting in the BIOS and resetting my boot device. It even just now reset it with a Windows update.

Not sure what's going on. It came with the latest BIOS P1.90.

My system:
    ASRock A75 Extrme6 (P1.90)
    G.Skill RipjawsX 1866 CL8 (F3-14900CL8D-8GBXM) 8-9-9-24
    AMD A8-3870K Stock speeds
    Antec Kuler 620 (POS-Don't buy)
    Antec Earthwatts 450Watt 80Plus Platinum
    Lian-Li PC-Q06
    OCZ Agility 3 240GB (AHCI)
    Seagate 1TB (ST31000340AS)

I tried loading system defaults and clearing CMOS.

Thanks for any help
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Re: A75 Extreme6 - BIOS keeps resetting

try to flash it with older bios bro and see the result

just Sam.............

Comment

Originally posted by jackjack View Post
      try to flash it with older bios bro and see the result
      I tried that and even reflashing the new BIOS with no luck.

It switches hard drives every single restart wether a reboot, shutoff, reset, etc...

This is extremely annoying. Do I have a bad board?

any other clues.
      -=Mark=-
      ps, things I've tried are reinstall win 7 Pro X64, Install everything from install CD instead of downloading from chip manuf. sites, unplugged all USB and emptied all cards slots.

I only tried to go bacl to p1.80 as this is a new 3870K chip and afraid I'll lose support and the ability to boot up at all.
      Last edited by MarkJohnson; 04-27-2012, 03:20 PM.
      ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

that mus be PITA bro
        seems like everything you do didn't work well with the mobo.
        IMHO you should RMA/return it and get some replace for the new one :)

just Sam.............

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJohnson View Post
          Hello, I just bought an ASRock Extreme6 MB and it's having a fit everytime I change a setting in the BIOS and resetting my boot device.
          I'm having the exact same problem with the exact same motherboard.
          Can I ask if you ever resolved this, or just RMAed the motherboard?

Comment

I did return it already and bbought a gigabyte board. no issues yet knockk oon wood.

If I remember correctly it boots from the first SATA port. I ended up just using the F11 key when I want to boot a different device.

Just try changing the drive cable order on the mb.

Luck
            -=Mark=-

Comment

Just try changing the drive cable order on the mb.
              Except that if, in the future I want to change more than the boot order, I'm stuffed.
              Nope, I think this will have to be returned.

thanks.

Comment

I tried that and even reflashing the new BIOS with no luck.

It switches hard drives every single restart wether a reboot, shutoff, reset, etc...

This is extremely annoying. Do I have a bad board?

any other clues.
                -=Mark=-
                Did you check the battery? could be a bad batch???

Comment

Originally posted by tootallofwa View Post
                  Did you check the battery? could be a bad batch???
                  This was the first thing ASRock asked me to do.
                  Replaced the CMOS battery, and it still happened.

Which isn't surprising since other BIOS details were being remembered fine.

My follow up is that I took the board back to my point of purchase to be RMAed, and they refused to, since they couldn't find the fault. And indeed I stood over their shoulder and tried my hardest and couldn't get it to happen in store.

The only similar thing I could get to trigger is that when the hard drives change, it resets the boot order and re-enables all drives. My suspicion was that my PCI PATA card was triggering this on every boot, not just when a drive changed.

I've just dealt with it by putting my boot devices on the first two SATA ports.

Comment

I just ordered the A75 Extreme6... should get it tomorrow.
                    I'm also wanting a PATA board, I'm thinking PCIex1 interface.

I will also want to swap drives in and out. I don't want your problem though.

Did you try taking the pata out? What's the model of PATA adapter?

I can shuttle the files off my ATA drive onto a sata before I ditch this asus a8e.
                    I want pata to maintain my modded xbox's. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to reset drive order even with only 1 bootable hd.

I'll have 400GB boot, 3-1TB, 1-3TB and 250GB-2.5 all sata, 6.65TB(unformatted) on 6 drives

Comment

Originally posted by tootallofwa View Post
                      I just ordered the A75 Extreme6... should get it tomorrow.
                      I'm also wanting a PATA board, I'm thinking PCIex1 interface.

I will also want to swap drives in and out. I don't want your problem though.

Did you try taking the pata out? What's the model of PATA adapter?

I can shuttle the files off my ATA drive onto a sata before I ditch this asus a8e.
                      I want pata to maintain my modded xbox's. It wouldn't be worth the hassle to reset drive order even with only 1 bootable hd.

I'll have 400GB boot, 3-1TB, 1-3TB and 250GB-2.5 all sata, 6.65TB(unformatted) on 6 drives
                      The PATA card is: SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCI Express SATA II RAID Controller

My setup is
                      2 x Patriot Torqx 2 64GB SSD S5FAM017 (boot, OS, ZIL)
                      3 x ST3500630A 500GB PATA
                      2 x HDS725050KLA360 500G SATA
                      3 x ST3500630AS 500G SATA
                      1 x ST31500341AS 1500G SATA

I'm still unsure as to what the cause is. I essentially tested without my PATA card when I tried to recreate the flaw at the shop, and was unsuccessful.
                      When I got home, I just reconnected everything, with my SSDs in the 0 and 1 SATA slots, and didn't do much poking around.
                      I also moved my PATA card to PCIe slot 0, just in case that helped.

I guess cross your fingers?

Comment

Update: Yes the the bios does keep resetting.

There is something really funky about the the physical ordering of the sata ports.
                        You would think that p0 should be the primary drive port, but that is not the way the bios sees it.

The simple way around is to put the boot drive on the port that keeps popping up as the boot drive after the BIOS resets itself.
                        But I'm also getting ATA connectivity on SATA drives as reported by win7 device mgr.

st1000dm003-9yn162 SATA p0 sata3 cable after firmware update Computer Mgmt #1
                        st3000dm001-1ch166 SATA p1 sata3 cable Computer Mgmt #2
                        wdc wd25 00bevt-60zct1 SATA p2 sata2 cable Computer Mgmt #4
                        hds72404 0klsa80 SATA p3 sata2 cable Computer Mgmt #3
                        HL-DT-ST DVDRAM gh22ns50 ATA p4 sata2 cable Computer Mgmt #5
                        wdc wd1001fals-00j7b1 ATA p5 sata2 cable Thinks this is my primary drive Computer Mgmt #0

Can't seem to post this with columns.

HP Photosmart C4700 USB Device also shown as disk by device mgr in win7

With this arrangement I have to select boot device to not boot to wd1001fals which has a bad grub loader on it.

SNAFU

Comment

Working...
                        X