Asrock 970 Ext.3 Boot freezes at A3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock 970 Ext.3 Boot freezes at A3

The Asrock (970 Extreme 3) board I have boots fine, it goes through the code cycles before booting to Windows. However, the freeze occurs when a USB card reader is attached, at which is just stops at A3, at which point I have to do a hard reset. The card reader is not listed as a boot device by default, and only my Optical drive and my SSD are listed as boot devices. I cannot enter the BIOS when the card reader is attached, both delete and F1 will not take me into the BIOS, it just cycles through and hits A3 at which point it doesn't continue with the boot. The PC does boot fine when the USB card reader is not connected.

Whilst the simple option would be to just remove the card reader before I turn the PC on, it's not exactly a fix for it, more so walking around the problem. From what I gather, A3 is IDE Enable. The motherboard doesn't have any IDE connectors whatsoever. I have checked the BIOS and the SATA mode is running in IDE, and the SATA IDE Combined Mode is running in Enabled. Not sure if this is relevent though.

Apparently others say that disabling USB Legacy mode will allow successful boot, since it ignores the USB devices, however doing that will disable using my keyboard and mouse in BIOS.

My board is using the BIOS version 1.0, which is the default version.

Re: Asrock 970 Ext.3 Boot freezes at A3

So I guess there is no one who can help me?

Comment

Re: Asrock 970 Ext.3 Boot freezes at A3

Not sure if this helps but I do have a similar problem.
      My M Station HTPC case has 4 card reader slots connected to the USB headers on the board.
      If I leave a card in any one of the slots I get the same problem you're describing.
      Thinking back on my build I did have a problem with the card readers not working when I Used USB6_7 - probably my fault since I may have misplaced the connector and used the CIR header just below it.
      The CIR receiver uses the bottom half of the USB header and the 4 pins from the CIR header (see manual page 24).

Bill
      My HTPC -

ASRock 970 Extreme3
      AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
      M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
      Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
      Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
      Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
      Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
      Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (partitioned)
      Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
      Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Comment

Working...
      X