970 extreme3 wont boot please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 970 extreme3 wont boot please help

so all my parts came for my new rig and all excited i unboxed and assembled everything.. my case had to be rma so i set it up on some cardboard..when i finally got everything set up.. i had no video monitor light stayed orange as if no signal and gpu fan didnt even spin.. but all other fans started.. so after checking connections, clear cmos, and testing ram one stick at a time i contacted asrock tech support. they told me

Take your RAM out of your Mainboard as well as video card.

Then turn your mainboard on and you should heard 3 long beeps (if you heard them please turn it off)

Install your RAM and turn your mainboard on you should heard 8 long beeps(Without VGA card 8 long beeps

(if you heard them turn it off)

with everthying uninstalled i got the 3 long beeps that i was supposed to, so i installed my first stick of ram.. first i put it in the slot farthest from the cpu, and heard the same 3 long beeps but if i put it in any of the other memory slots i get 5 short beeps indicating "process error".. so i thought maybe that first memory slot was defective.. but if i set up dual channel with that slot i still get 3 beeps not 5... but if i move the ram into the other 2 slots i get 5 beeps.. i hvae no idea whats going on i dont believe the board is dead it is brand new. i also dont believe the processor is dead either, the cpu was refurbished which means it was deffinetly tested and working before they sent it out...

i have tried everything on the "no post checklist" on tomshardware.com ive also checked the whole forum and googled everything i could think of
    i also took out psu and tested in another computer and it worked fine.
    pleasee help and thank you in advance

i will only list what i have hooked up

motherboard- asrock 970 extreme3
    cpu- amd phenom 2 x4 980BE (hyper 212 evo cooler)
    ram- 8bg g.skill sniper @ 1333 (pc10666 2x4gb)
    psu-rosewill 630w
    gpu- radeon 8000 (pulled out of a computer i was using just a day before)

Re: 970 extreme3 wont boot please help

I have had the exact same problem with THREE different 970 Extreme 3 boards. I am still trying to get a working board out of ASRock. The last board I got from them booted, but when I went to unlock any cores using the UCC function in BIOS, I saved changes, the board rebooted, and then nothing again, no video, no disk sensing, nothing, just like the previous 2 boards. ASRock is not being helpful about this, and it seems there are a lot of us who got stuck with this lousy board. The more I talk to ASRock about it, the more it looks like I will be throwing this $90 board in the garbage where it belongs and going to an Asus board.

In my 35 years of experience building computer systems I have never had such problems with a motherboard (and the manufacturer's support system). I will NEVER buy ASRock again.

Comment

well i have to admit that is very disappointing i was excited about this board it was a good price and appeared to have some good features. i brought it to a computer shop (as they have more components to test with that i just dont have available) and his conclusion was a dead board. i have it in the mail now to be replaced. i guess ill just hope for a good replacement and if not ill send it in for a refund and get an asus.

Comment

I've given up and am buying an Asus. If you do get a working board, dont change any bios settings or you risk bricking it again. Best of luck!

Comment

Have you tried using a different video card other than that "8000"? These boards have a 2.0-2.1 PCie slot for video cards...

Comment

FYI Mitt -

I tried all three of the 970 Extreme 3 boards I got with

Three different video cards:
            EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR NVidia GeForce GTX 550
            Asus NVidia EN9400gt
            MSI R4350 Radeon 4350

Two different RAM DIMMs:
            GSkill Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
            Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

And two different CPUs:
            AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma
            AMD FX-4100 Zambezi.

All three 970 Extreme 3 boards would not work reliably with ANY combination of the above components. All of the above components worked first-time/every-time when installed on an Asus M5A97 (a component-for-component equivalent of the 970 Extreme 3).

The 970 Extreme 3 has been a huge waste of time and money for me. I cannot ever again feel good about ASRock boards. Too bad.

Comment

Working...
            X