Asrock Extreme7 Soundcard Very Noisy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Extreme7 Soundcard Very Noisy!

I have the Extreme7 motherboard and PCI soundcard M-Audio 2496. I am connecting the soundcard to an Arcam amplifier which is connected to Monitor Audio speakers.
    I am hearing a lot of background noise interference through the speakers which gets worse when moving the mouse, scrolling down webpages, when the hard drives are being accessed etc.
    It's not the speakers as they are shielded and I don't think the problem is with the cables. I've also tried my other amplifier but get the same problem. Other devices plugged into my amplifier don't produce this bad background noise.
    PSU is Corsair AX1200.
    Any help please!!

-edit- I've tried removing my graphics card and using onboard graphics and still the noise is present.
    Last edited by Pablos; 03-17-2012, 06:19 PM. Reason: update

Re: Asrock Extreme7 Soundcard Very Noisy!

Have you tried using the onboard RealtekHD audio and connect it to your Arcam amplifier to SEE if you still get the EMI noise? or for that matter using the HDMI from your GPU?
    If you still get this noise probably due to EMI double-check the standoffs for your board and ensure that the board is not touching your case at all, or that any backplane parts of your CPU cooling solution are not touching too!

SaphireX

Comment

Originally posted by SaphireX View Post
      Have you tried using the onboard RealtekHD audio and connect it to your Arcam amplifier to SEE if you still get the EMI noise? or for that matter using the HDMI from your GPU?

If you still get this noise probably due to EMI double-check the standoffs for your board and ensure that the board is not touching your case at all, or that any backplane parts of your CPU cooling solution are not touching too!

SaphireX
      Sorry, I didn't seem to get an subscription email for this thread. Thank you for replying :)
      I will get the chance to test the onboard sound sometime soon and will post back with the results.
      I built this PC from scratch and was quite careful with the standoffs. One issue I came across is that with my Corsair H100 cooler, if I tightened the four screws too far, then the PC would hang at boot so this may possibly be a clue to some short going on somewhere (tentative guess!).

Full PC spec is:

Corsair Obsidian 800D case
      Corsair AX1200 PSU
      Asrock Extreme7 Z68 motherboard
      2600K CPU
      Corsair H100 Cooler
      X800 GTO VGA card (soon to be replaced)
      OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS 120GB SSD
      6 X 2TB WD Caviar Black HDDs
      Pioneer Blu Ray Writer
      M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI soundcard
      Last edited by Pablos; 03-20-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Sounds like maybe there is a hairline crack perhaps due to overtightening the H100 or maybe not. If you still have the problem then if you are within your 30-days I guess you know what to do...
        Good Luck
        SaphireX

Comment

Thanks Saphire. It's been well over the 30 days now. I've had the Extreme7 board since it was released.

Comment

O.K. then and it's a longshot try putting small rubber washers on each standoff between the screw and the top side of the mobo before the screw connects to the standoff. That way the underside part of the board is still grounded via the flashed rim of the mobo hole while the top side of the hole is not conductive due to the rubber washer. That might reduce the EMI produced in case there is a hairline crack enough to get rid of the noise...Like I said it a longshot but at least a potential solution other than replacing or R..ing the board.
            Please post back your results
            SaphireX

Comment

Thanks once again SaphireX :)
              Will do this at the weekend if I get the time.
              I'll update here once I've had the chance to do what you suggest.

Comment

In addition to SaphireX's suggestions, check out and run:to see if there are any latency issues with software or drivers on your system.
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

You need a ground loop isolator. Something like this: Ground Loop Isolator (Stereo) RCA - Jaycar Electronics

I had the same problem when connecting my X-Fi Titanium to a Sansui R-50 receiver.

If you remove the amplifier and the noises are gone, you will be having the exact same experience I had.
                  My Rig
                  CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE @ 4GHz
                  RAD: Corsair H60 [2x Gentle Typhoon AP-15]
                  MB: ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Professional
                  RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz
                  GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC
                  SND: Asus Xonar Essence STX
                  SSD: Cosair Force 3 60GB
                  HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
                  PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-P
                  CASE: CoolerMaster Storm Scout

Comment