No announcement yet.

Crossfiring HD 6870 with M3A770DE MB problems - Wont recognize 2nd pci-e slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossfiring HD 6870 with M3A770DE MB problems - Wont recognize 2nd pci-e slot

I have been using XFX HD 6870 and decided to get another one to cross fire. I have been working all day, reformatting my computer, installing/deleting/reinstalling drives, just a very very frustrating day. Crossfire is supposed to be pretty simple to set up. This is just ridiculous. I have been looking at forums ALL day to find solutions to this, and all them lead to dead ends.

I have tried both the cards in the first pci-e slot (16x) and they both work fine. Neither will work in the second slot (4x). The fan will work, but my computer does not recognize the second device, and because of that ATI Control Center cant enable crossfire (the option does not exist).

Computer specs:
    PSU: 750watt Thermaltake(crossfire support)
    Motherboard: ASRock M3a770DE
    Video cards: 2 XFX HD 6870
    RAM: Ripsaw 8 GB 1600 (which is funny because they will only load at 1333...)
    Processor: AMD X4 955
    Windows 7 64 bit home edition
    Bios version: 1.8

I am sorry for the frustration and angry post, but I have never been this frustrated working on a computer before.
    Last edited by shap; 03-11-2012, 03:20 AM.

Re: Crossfiring HD 6870 with M3A770DE MB problems - Wont recognize 2nd pci-e slot

Dear shap,

We test M3A770DE with two pcs HD6870 VGA card and enable "CrossFire" function.
    System works well.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Load BIOS default settings.
    2. Use eraser to clean the golden finger of VGA card to try.
    3. Only install a VGA card to PCIE3 slot (PCIE2.0 x4 slot) by turns to check whether system works well.
    4. Change another Crossfire bridge to try.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Comment

Re: Crossfiring HD 6870 with M3A770DE MB problems - Wont recognize 2nd pci-e slot

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
      Dear shap,

We test M3A770DE with two pcs HD6870 VGA card and enable "CrossFire" function.
      System works well.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
      1. Load BIOS default settings.
      3. Only install a VGA card to PCIE3 slot (PCIE2.0 x4 slot) by turns to check whether system works well.
      4. Change another Crossfire bridge to try.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
      ASRock TSD
      Emily

I will have to try this out when I get back in town on Thursday night. Thanks for your help.

When I was reading up on this issue, the only way to enable "crossfire" option is through Catalyst Control Center, right? I was looking through the bios to see if there was something I had to enable on the bios.

Also, how do I accomplish step 2?

I have done step 3 already, but I did not load bios defaults before doing it. I hope this works.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Dear Shap,

We load BIOS default settings and only install a VGA card to PCIE3 slot, system works well.

Please kindly clear CMOS first and then only install a pcs VGA card to PCIE3 slot to try.
        If you install one VGA card to PCIE3 slot, you cannot get the display.
        Your PCIE3 slot maybe defective.

If you would like to enable "CrossFire function", you don't have to do any settings under BIOS.
        You only enable "CrossFire" in ATI controller panel.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
        ASRock TSD
        Emily

Comment

This refers to cleaning the pci-e electrical contacts on the bottom edge of the video card.
          Another option is to use a lint-free cloth that is lightly moistened with 91% pure rubbing alcohol (or denatured alcohol) to clean the electrical contacts.
          You can buy 91% rubbing alcohol in drug stores or department stores.
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
          X