Changing from XP to window 7 with more than the usual problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing from XP to window 7 with more than the usual problems

Hi, I'm only new to this so please bear with me.
    I did my home work on changing from XP to 7 and l did everything to the letter but when it gets to about 16% loaded the screen goes haywire and that's where it stops, it won't load anymore. It's a patten on the screen and the only thing l can do is turn off the power.
    This is a brand new Motherboard and l put XP because l didn't have windows 7 then. I have tried Vista and almost the same happens.
    Any ideas......please

Asrock N68-VS3-FX Motherboard
    AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2 Ghz CPU
    2 x A-RAM 4GB DDR3 Memory DIMMS

Re: Changing from XP to window 7 with more than the usual problems

What are you trying to do actually? An upgrade, or a clean install? You should just backup any files you need, and then do a clean install of windows 7, it will run so much better as a clean install vs upgrade anyway.

What graphics are you using, onboard or a add on graphics card? Are you using the latest BIOS for the motherboard

Comment

Hi,
      I tried a clean install but with no luck at all, it wouldn't even try to load windows 7. So I put XP back on it and now it gets the 16% mark and all hell breaks loss.
      I'm only going on the onboard graphics.
      I have the latest bios for the motherboard, like l said, l brought the motherboard 4 weeks ago. I wish l could give you information but that's all l have.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      What are you trying to do actually? An upgrade, or a clean install? You should just backup any files you need, and then do a clean install of windows 7, it will run so much better as a clean install vs upgrade anyway.

What graphics are you using, onboard or a add on graphics card? Are you using the latest BIOS for the motherboard

Comment

Did you burn the Windows 7 install DVD? If so, it could be a bad burn, try it again using the slowest burn setting (This should always be how your burn OS install media)

What model of memory are you using, and how much? Try the install with only one stick of memory, that may also help.

have you tested the memory one stick at a time with memtest86+? If not, please do that now, maybe one or more is bad.

Here is the latest version of Memtest86+, please run at least 5-10 full passes on each stick, using only one stick installed at a time
        Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Comment

I found the problem, I found the problem.
          I tried one stick of memory then another but it was still the same, l even tried a new HDD but that didn't do it then it hit me, lt could only be my rom drive, so l changed it and all is well with the world.
          I am so happy now, as l was about to throw the lot in the bin.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Great to hear you were able to find the issue!!

Good thing is CD/DVD burners are very cheap these days, like only $20 or so for a decent one

Comment

Working...
            X