ASRock X79 Extreme9 LGA 2011 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X79 Extreme9 LGA 2011 Question

Hey all, I'm new to these forums and did a search for the Extreme9, but didn't come up with the answer I'm looking for so here's my first post.

I'm putting together a new system that I'm very excited about building which will include running 7970's in Crossfire. However when reading one of the comments on Newegg about this board, one of the buyers on there left feedback of:

"PCIe 3.0 will not recognize my 7970s as 3.0 gen, and when I manually attempt to set them to GEN 3, my computer cycles on and off as it cannot boot."

Then on other thoughts he follows with:

"Board does what is purports to do, except support 3.0 PCIe cards in that mode. Given it is not a big issue for me, I did not take off more points, but objectively, bad form ASRock as you paraded the 3.0 PCIe on the Z68 like you were ahead of the game, which has proven not to be the case when the only 3.0 card on the market does not work in 3.0. Saying that it may have something to do with the cpu, as it is not the usual retail version."

Did he mistakenly post a review of the Z68 on the X79 product? I'm anxious to build this system so any help would be appreciated before I start finalizing my purchases.

Thanks

Re: ASRock X79 Extreme9 LGA 2011 Question

the reason you cannot select the pci gen 3 is because the cpu does not support it. you'll have to wait for ivy bridge
    |[email protected]|AsrockExtreme9|16gigVengence|LianLiA 71|CustomTripleExternalWaterbox|HCP1200watt|3x27"|2x6990cfx|120gbVertex3+256gbSupertalentSSD|48Tb|G19|RAT9|Lo gitechZ5500|LogitechG35|

Comment

Re: ASRock X79 Extreme9 LGA 2011 Question

Originally posted by Ram85 View Post
      the reason you cannot select the pci gen 3 is because the cpu does not support it. you'll have to wait for ivy bridge
      So his comment is correct on Newegg. In that case I'm going to wait until April 8th to build this beast when the Ivy bridge comes out.

Comment

Working...
      X