Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - some very weird problems

Hello,
    I have a very peculiar experience with this motherboard.
    I can't boot with the multiplier range x43 to x46 included. I can boot at 4.2Ghz and 4.7Ghz and 4.8Ghz. But I cant possibly boot at 4.6Ghz or 4.5Ghz or 4.4Ghz or 4.3Ghz
    I have tried every possible setting, I've tried all the voltages, I've tried using AUTO, I've tried disabling stuff in UEFI, I've tried to boot with 1 stick of RAM and so on - nothing works! Turbo50 boots me in 4.8Ghz, but none of the overclock presets on the motherboard work! I've tried bios 1.10 and 1.30.

Furthermore: I can boot up just fine on 4.7ghz and if i then load windows and do a restart, then enter the bios and change my multiplier to x46 - i am able to boot and my system is stable. As soon as I shut down the computer - I cant boot at x46 again. So I have to cold boot with x47, restart and proceed to load with x46.
    DR DEBUG: 70 - this is all i get. South bridge DXE initialization. What the hell is that supposed to mean anyway?

What the hell is going on with this motherboard? Please any explanation why I cant boot in x42-x46 range? And why I have to boot in x47 and restart my PC in order to be able to boot in x46?

Please, if its a faulty motherboard I must know this week so I can return it.

PS:
    asrock z68 ex3g3
    i5 2500k + zalman cns11x performa
    asus gtx 570 dc2
    chieftec 750w 85+ nitro
    g.skill sniper 2133mhz 1.6v 2x4gb

Re: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - some very weird problems

Suggest that you post also in the GSill Forum and perhaps "Tradesman" might provide some extra memory settings that you can try...
    Just remember that not every CPU/Mobo can O'Clock the same even if the hardware is identical...

DDR3 - GSKILL TECH FORUM

Comment

Consider as sapx was saying above then

1. set your present bios to "default answers", repost to uefi and do whatever basic changes you need like specifing ahci for storage etc.

2.Then turn down your memory to 1600 it should autodetect the timings, if not use cpuid cpu-z to see the jedec profile for timings.
      reboot ..should start ok

3.restart again.. and start to use the ez clock cpu overclock settings..just those...if it craps out at the 4.3-4.6 range adjust llc.,make it llc 3 and see how that goes.if no good make it 1 and test.

4. if still no good load in 4.8 ezclock.. at this point you haventtouched anything like speedstep, pll voltage overide enable cie or cpu turbo wattages.check the voltage for 4.8 in uefi at post.
      Go into windows turn on axtu.check the cpu voltage and the applied offset for 4.8.

Does the cpu bench test ok at 4.8?

5. restart go back into uefi apply the 4.8 voltages for 4.6 or 4.4 manually,shouldnt need a llc change.If you want to go direct or offset settings.. up to you.
      If that doesnt work try cpu power limits up to 200w for all 3 wattage options.

Not really much point in disabling the cpu power saving features as they dont really come into play till your in windows.

If still no joy :go back to default answers for bios, reset what you need turn memory to 1600 , then run memtest.. ,if that works ok reset to 2133 and run memtest again.

Things like that might narrow it down to whether its the mbrd/bios or something else.

You cant send back the cpu and say, this one has overclocking anomalies on my board.cos the applied voltages dont suit it..tho it may have probs on other boards too.
      Same thing with the memory.

It may be that all your components would work great on another board, or maybe not , but even if none of the above gets results, doesnt necessarily mean there is something wrong with the Asrock board or bios.

Its not like there are a lot of posts here saying
      "Hey I just got the new Asrock x79 and its hot , my cpu clocks better than any reviews and I have no probs at all"

I mean if there werent more + experiences with asrock or any other board maker than negative ones. the manufacturers would go out of buisness real fast.
      The thing is no one is gonna post + experiences."Hey it works like its supposed to, what do they want, a medal?" :0
      Last edited by kick; 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM.
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

interesting you suggest that because just before reading your post i did this:
        go to uefi, reset to defaults, save and exit
        go to uefi, Advanced Turbo 50: enabled (or load my x47 profile)
        pc boots at 4.8ghz and 1.43v
        i *RESTART* the pc from windows, go to uefi
        i disable turbo 50, manually set x46 and a fixed voltage of 1.365v, LLC:1, dram XMP profile: 1 (2133MHZ, 1.6v)
        i am now able to run the system just fine, i benchmarked for 5 hours in prime95 and everything is great and stable.
        now i *SHUT DOWN* the system.

when i power it back on - black screen, Asrock Debug: 70
        so i have to reset CMOS, go to uefi and pick turbo50 again (or load my x47 profile), then POST and go to uefi and choose my x46 profile and then boot up.
        this is also true if i want to boot up at x45 and x44

so to keep it short: i cant cold boot into x46 multipliers.

i have seen other numerous threads about debug 70 code, but no fix found. it appears the problem lies in the IGPU voltage.

you know using deduction:
        if it boots up at 4.8ghz and doesnt at 4.6ghz - what is different?
        so i booted at turbo50 4.8ghz and opened up Asrock eXtreme Tuner and took a look at the voltages: everything is default, except vCore and iGPU offset voltage.

still doesnt give me an answer as to why i am able to boot at x47, but... damn i dont know.

what the hell is this nonsense...
        Last edited by obli; 02-07-2012, 02:05 PM.

Comment

you dont say what the 4.8 cpu VCore was reading in uefi.
          Mine will hover at 1.40 (with offset )
          max voltage under load goes up to 1.47 ish, using offset.
          If youre gonna set a fixed voltage for 4.6 to post try 1.38-1.4 and see what happens., either that or use offset voltage .for me thats approx 1,37vwith a max offset of .095. 4.6 1,36 with offset .070 etc.
          n did you change llc at all?
          Last edited by kick; 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM.
          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
          http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

well here's what i tried:
            x46 - 1.4v - llc auto
            x46 - 1.4v - llc 1
            x46 - offset +0.1 - llc auto
            x46 - offset +0.1 - llc 1
            all didnt get me a post. as usual stuck on code 70 in debug.

i also tried all of this in all the available bios.

fyi, im stable at x46 (after i do the procedure with double boot uefi) at 1.365v

ps: the 4.8 voltage is 1.43v

Comment

it seems that this is a bug with various asrock z68 motherboards:
              check this thread: 2500k OCing help (stuck at 4.3GHz)
              and this thread last 5 pages: **Official** ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen 3 Owners Club
              it is also mentioned on tomshardware: ASRock Extreme3 Gen 3 & 2500k OC problems, need assist - General-Discussions - Overclocking
              also mentioned on the russian overclockers: ASRock Z68 Socket 1155 "Sandy Bridge"(FAQ
              and here: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18313898
              and again on toms: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...500k-past-4ghz
              1 more toms: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...clocking-2500k

also an issue on P67: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1709431/+1200

Please Asrock Support, address this issue.
              Last edited by obli; 02-08-2012, 04:21 AM.

Comment

I am having this exact same problem but I have a Asrock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3, the strange thing is at first I just thought that my CPU would not rise above 4.2ghz because every-time I tried I always got a Blacks creen with error code 70 on the LCD readout. So I set my settings to 4.0ghz and left it at that. Now fast forward 5 months, started to receive some strange instability issues hangs and system would freeze over night and stuff. I decided to take my entire set up apart and clean everything then connect it all back together and do a for re install of windows. I see a BETA bios on another forum and install that. Then I get a little daring and try a 4.8ghz overlock and BAM! it works. I am like awesome do a IBT with 50 runs then a Prime 95 blend over night (24 hours)

Then I am like super stoked but after reading some other websites and talking to a few other people, I find that really there is no advantage to having anything over 4.5ghz so I go about setting a 4.5ghz with the lowest possible volts at max stability. I do a run off 40 IBT and then overnight Prime 95 and I am stoked! I end up leaving over the weekend and decide to power down(shut off) my system. When I return I push the power button and all I receive is a black screen and an error code 70 on MB LCD. Then I start trying other profiles I try my profile saved with the 4.8 and viola windows loads again, then I set the 4.8 back to 4.5ghz and it loads. Then I try another shut down and the same thing.

So for the past 2 weeks anytime that I want to shut off my system I have to clr cmos, then set the 4.8 profile then let it load to bios then enter bios load the 4.5 then everything works like I want it.

But there has to be a way to make things work like they are suppose to, I spent alot of money on all my hardware, and its just really a pain to see my computer being held back by these kind of bugs. I notice that the original poster has not replied in over 2 months. I was hoping that meant that he solved the issued and is willing to share his information. I had stopped using Asus hardware and wanted to pick Asrock as my new hardware vendor for motherboards, but now i am having this problems. I really really really just want this fixed, I plan to one day give this system to my Brother I was hoping to do it sooner then his weddings day which is in 4 more months. I wanted to have a 4.5ghz overlock and him to just have it as is with no amount of tweaking on his part necessary.

Thanks,
                Aaron

Comment

no bro, i haven't replied because this issue hasn't been solved.
                  i've talked to intel support, i thought it was my cpu. but nah, its just that the bios settings do not get saved.
                  apparently it saves the multiplier x45, for example, but doesnt save the voltage setting. so it doesnt load :)

i'm on my 4.2ghz atm, and i completely forgot about this whole crap :) im waiting for 1.4 bios for my mobo.
                  i emailed asrock and everything, but i had no reply. i think they know but dont want to make it a public issue.

Comment

try the new 2.03 beta bios i wasnt able to boot at 4.6 ghz i would get error 70 on the debug display but since updating to the new 2.03 beta bios i havent had any problems booting at 46 multiplier.

Comment

Originally posted by obli View Post
                      no bro, i haven't replied because this issue hasn't been solved.
                      i've talked to intel support, i thought it was my cpu. but nah, its just that the bios settings do not get saved.
                      apparently it saves the multiplier x45, for example, but doesnt save the voltage setting. so it doesnt load :)
                      Well that is very unfortunate, I just dont see any solution like if some guy knew a real fix I would pay the amount of shipping that it would cost to fix this issue. So like say 15 bucks for a real fix to anyone who had the real solution to this problem. I have a feeling that a replacement board would not even fix the problem. Everything else works great CrossfireX, super fast SSD speeds. even that wierd Lucid Virtu. I just need this to be fixed.

Originally posted by james22 View Post
                      try the new 2.03 beta bios i wasnt able to boot at 4.6 ghz i would get error 70 on the debug display but since updating to the new 2.03 beta bios i havent had any problems booting at 46 multiplier.
                      Thanks for the tip buddy, but I was using the beta 2.03 bios for a few months then switched to the 2.04 still no fix.
                      Last edited by Aaron G Ring; 04-19-2012, 11:07 AM. Reason: REPLIED

Comment

The beta bios im talking was release yesterday. It include ivybride support and its a completely redesigned bios

Comment

Oh, could you link the new bios bud?

(I'm a little exciting I hope this bios works, I mean 1.3 not 2.03 so that is an entirely new bios!
                          Last edited by Aaron G Ring; 04-19-2012, 12:03 PM.

Comment

ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 > Download

Etx7 g3
                            There are new setting and stuff had been moved around

Comment

Wow you weren't lieing everything has changed, and i did just cold boot from 4.5ghz its like having a totally differnent motherboard. I take back all the stuff I said about you around the watercooler James. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X