Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock CoreHT 252B Video Locks Up/Freezes PC

* Update: Issue Resolved - See Post #13 *

I have a CoreHT 252B mini PC that I've owned since September, 2011 that I'm having some video issues with. I'm using it as a media center running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and have the PC hooked up to my 46" TV via HDMI at 1920x1080. The problem is that while watching videos fullscreen, the PC sometimes scrambles the video with horizontal lines. This isn't limited to a single application; I've had it happen in Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player, Youtube, and Netflix via web browser. When it happens, the PC is completely unresponsive; the keyboard/mouse do nothing and I cannot ping it with another machine on my network. The only fix is to reboot the PC. Here's a video of the display after a lock up:

Initially I thought the PC might be overheating, so I ran some CPU stress tests with Prime95 while logging temperatures with CoreTemp. I ran Prime95 for hours with the temperature maxed out around 86C for each core and it never locked up. I then ran FurMark, a GPU stress testing tool while again logging temperatures with CoreTemp. Within 5 minutes of the 15 minute stress test at 800x600, the PC locked, which is when I took the video posted above. The temperature was barely over 70C. This tells me it isn't a heat issue and is likely GPU or video driver related.

As far as drivers go, I've experienced the issue with 4 different versions:

Version 8.15.10.2372 installed early September (downloaded from Asrock; still the current driver listed under downloads as version 15.22.2.64.2372)
    Version 8.15.10.2509 installed on 9/25/2011 (downloaded from Intel)
    Version 8.15.10.2559 installed on 11/22/2011 (downloaded from Intel) <--- no longer listed on Intel's site
    Version 8.15.10.2622 (just posted to Intel's site on Feb. 3, 2012)

I found it interesting that the third driver is no longer listed on Intel's website (and found a thread about this with as well). Also, the release notes for 8.15.10.2509 lists a "Fixed issue" similar to the one I'm experiencing: "Resolved intermittent crashing when an HDMI monitor is connected."

I've opened cases with both Intel and ASRock. Intel said to "update drivers or contact the manufacturer" -- Yeah, thanks. ASRock said I could RMA the unit, but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure it's a hardware issue.

So, I'd like feedback on the following:

1. Is there anyone else with a CoreHT 252B experiencing this issue? Can you reproduce it with GPU stress testing?
    2. Does this sound like a driver or hardware issue?

Edit: It looks like someone else is having the same issue, though I don't know what type of PC they have: HD3000 Freeze on Vimeo
    Last edited by Eck; 03-10-2012, 12:42 PM. Reason: Added update.

Re: ASRock CoreHT 252B Video Locks Up/Freezes PC

Have you tested a Ivy Bridge driver? Try 8.15.10.2598.

Comment

Originally posted by Borc View Post
      Have you tested a Ivy Bridge driver? Try 8.15.10.2598.
      Version 8.15.10.2598 wouldn't install. I thought it might have been because I already have a newer version, 8.15.10.2622 installed, but entries in the install log make me think it's incompatible:

* GFX HW not found; disabling HDMI driver install
      Removed INF = C:\Users\Eric\Desktop\sandy\ibxHDMI\IntcDAud.inf
      ! Didn't find any INF's that match active hardware
      IIF will NOT initiate reboot
      Exit code = 0xA005
      ResultCode = 40965
      <<< 2/04/2012 15:00:29:095

Comment

It is compatible, I already installed this driver on my HD3000. You have to edit the inf. If you want I upload my inf for this driver.

Comment

It is compatible, I already installed this driver on my HD3000. You have to edit the inf. If you want I upload my inf for this driver.
          Sure, send me your inf or tell me what to add/edit and I'll try again.

Why are you running this driver? What problems were you having that it resolved?

Comment

I'm testing drivers sometimes, that's why. Do you have a mobile Sandy Bridge CPU? Try my attached inf.

Do you have downloaded 2598 from station-drivers? They look customized, I mean the cat file. Therefore it won't work, if it won't work with my inf I have to upload my version of 2598 build to make sure it works. Because I can't try the station-driver version now.

You could try the following. In my inf

CatalogFile=igdlh.cat

change to

CatalogFile=kit40926.cat

And rename my inf to kit40926.inf
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Borc; 02-04-2012, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I'm testing drivers sometimes, that's why. Do you have a mobile Sandy Bridge CPU? Try my attached inf.

Do you have downloaded 2598 from station-drivers? They look customized, I mean the cat file. Therefore it won't work, if it won't work with my inf I have to upload my version of 2598 build to make sure it works. Because I can't try the station-driver version now.

You could try the following. In my inf

CatalogFile=igdlh.cat

change to

CatalogFile=kit40926.cat

And rename my inf to kit40926.inf
              I experienced the same issue with this driver installed. I'm going to RMA the unit in the next week or so. I'll update this post on how the replacement fares.

Comment

Dont know a lot about these mini pc's but did you overclock it at all?
                Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

if your mb lets you alter anything in the bios then you might be able to tweak the igpu voltage and or memory voltage a little,probably not enough is causing it to lock up? looked to see if theres any bios updates for that motherboard?
                  Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                  Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                  1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                  1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                  K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                  L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                  Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                  Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
                    Dont know a lot about these mini pc's but did you overclock it at all?
                    Nope, I haven't touched any settings in the BIOS.

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                    if your mb lets you alter anything in the bios then you might be able to tweak the igpu voltage and or memory voltage a little,probably not enough is causing it to lock up? looked to see if theres any bios updates for that motherboard?
                    I thought about messing with the GPU voltage, but I don't know if that would help. Would you suggest undervolting or overvolting it?

Comment

see what amount auto is using and add one or two clicks more voltage,then retest and add two more if needed but wouldnt go any higher than that,same for igpu memory
                      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                        see what amount auto is using and add one or two clicks more voltage,then retest and add two more if needed but wouldnt go any higher than that,same for igpu memory
                        I looked through the BIOS and there's not a GPU voltage setting. I'm guessing this is due to the GPU being integrated into the CPU.

Comment

* Update - Issue Resolved *

I ended up doing an RMA, but was still able to lock up the unit with FurMark after 25 minutes. I then took the advice of someone on Vimeo who posted a video of the same issue and replaced my RAM. I had commented on his video and mentioned this thread, and he replied with "It was faulty RAM, and we raged when we found out. :) Different versions of memtest ran for several days without any errors." With the original RAM installed, I ran FurMark for hours without any issues.

The interesting thing is that other people have had similar issues with the same RAM I bought, G. SKILL F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ. I read through the 1-star reviews and noticed that the manufacturer was replying and advising to use G. SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBSQ instead. If you compare the two models on Newegg, they're identical aside from the model number. My guess is that the set I currently have is slightly slower and can't handle the stress, which eventually causes the lock up.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X