No announcement yet.

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 changing to AHCI from IDE - Windows Loads VERY SLOW after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z68 Extreme4 changing to AHCI from IDE - Windows Loads VERY SLOW after

I have pretty much the identical situation to this person, except windows does eventually load after about 10-15 minutes:

After installing a new hard drive (the Samsung 2tb) succesfully, I decided to investigate AHCI. I knew nothing about it, and when I looked into it I found out I should be using that for performance improvements. I followed the same guide as the person who's issue I'm referencingk and all the drivers loaded when windows started up, but it takes longer than usual to shut down (a minute or so) and forever to load up. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

ASRock Z68 Extereme4
    Windows 7 Home Edition
    CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    1 x Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    1 x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thanks!

Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 changing to AHCI from IDE - Windows Loads VERY SLOW after

Please be sure you have connected your OS drive to the first Intel SATA 6Gb/s port (SATA3_0 normally), then put your CD/DVD drive on the last Intel port.

Then install the latest Intel driver and program, you can get that here, you want the third link

Also install this, first link

Comment

Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 changing to AHCI from IDE - Windows Loads VERY SLOW after

Thanks for your reply. When running the installer for the first program you linked me to
      -http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&P roductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software &ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technolo gy&lang=eng

I get this message:

"This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

I was able to install the second software.

Edit: I had to wait for it to boot up in AHCI mode in order to install that first software, the problem was I was trying to install it in IDE mode. After doing so the next boot was quick and then some drivers installed automatically. Now I'm all good.

Thanks a ton for your help kind sir!
      Last edited by uhzHiro; 02-03-2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Ok so here's a twist. Apparently doing that messed up my sound! It's all scratchy and pop and crackly. If I change back to IDE mode the sound goes back to A-ok.

Do you have any idea what that's about and how I might fix that? I tried updating the realtek sound drivers from the download page here:
        ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme4 > Download

That didn't fix it though.

Thanks again.

Comment

Ya, you must be in AHCI mode (Or RAID) to install the program, sounds like you are still in IDE mode. I see you got it though, sorry I replied as I read your reply!

For the audio, are you on the latest BIOS? AHCI shouldn't matter to your audio, but maybe a BIOS update would correct this issue if it's caused by DPC latency.

DPC latency checker is here so you can see if that's the issue or not
          DPC Latency Checker

Older driver versions might help too, but you don't want to have to revert back to slow IDE

Comment

You nailed it! I ran the DPC Latency checker and I was wayyy to high (over 8000). I flashed from version 1.5 of the bios to 1.7, and now the latency is down and the audio is fixed.

You have earned your Guru title today, thanks!

Comment

Great to see the BIOS update fixed it for you!

And thanks for the kind words, they are most appreciated!!

Comment

Does this work with WinXP (32 bit) as well as Win7? I plan to install (dual-boot) Win7 Ultimate, 64 bit version with a new SSD soon and would like to convert my existing WinXP system before I install Win7. If this fix doesn't work for WinXP, can anyone point me to a procedure that works for the non-Gen3 Extreme4?

I'm running BIOS version 1.6 and have a couple of 500GB WD Caviar Blacks, if that matters.

Many thanks,
                uszkanni

Comment

Does what work in XP 32 bit? If you mean the updated BIOS, that is on your motherboard, so it doesn't matter what OS you use

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    Does what work in XP 32 bit? If you mean the updated BIOS, that is on your motherboard, so it doesn't matter what OS you use
                    No, not the BIOS update. I have WinXP (32 bit) running with IDE and want to switch over to AHCI. If I just change the BIOS setting from IDE mode to AHCI, I get the splash screen, a BSOD and an immediate reboot. I am guessing that the method you suggested to unzHiro won't work as XP, unlike Win7, doesn't just boot slowly. Was hoping that someone knew of a procedure to convert over to AHCI on a system already loaded with XP.

Thanks.

Comment

OK, I got ya now! Yes, that is only for Windows 7 or Vista, for XP you have to do a clean install or follow a more involved guide to switching to AHCI.

Here's in depth guide on how to switch XP to AHCI after installing in IDE mode
                      Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers - MSFN Forum

Or you can try this simple tool, IF your motherboard supports RAID. If it does, use this, then enable RAID in the BIOS and boot back to windows in RAID mode, then update to the latest Intel RST Storage drivers and reboot back to windows once more. When in windows this time change this registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\msahci\Start to ZERO (0), then reboot back to BIOS and set AHCI instead of RAID. Then when in windows again, reinstall the Intel drivers.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...age+Technology << Third link for RST driver/program

Or, you can also do a repair windows install (NOT using recovery console) and install the F6 pre-install AHCI driver via floppy using F6 during the initial repair setup, this will leave all your programs there but you will need to reinstall all windows updates again.
                      How-to repair Windows XP - Geeks to Go Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                        OK, I got ya now! Yes, that is only for Windows 7 or Vista, for XP you have to do a clean install or follow a more involved guide to switching to AHCI.
                        Thanks for the help. I won't be able to attempt the changeover for a bit, but I'll bookmark your response and post back after I've updated my system.

Comment

OK, good luck and please post back if you remember!

Comment

Working...
                          X