ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 problem....I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 problem....I think

my new build includes the above mobo, 6950 card, 8g 1600 RAM, 2500k CPU, 128Gb Crucial M4 SSD.

I selected ACHI prior to a fresh Win7 install.

Random errors since then, not sure if they are related!

Firmware update on graphics card with latest drivers, applied all Win7 updates, restarts, etc. All working well. Next I shut it down, added in an old hard drive (had another Win7 installed), 2 optical drives, flash card drive. I made sure the boot order was still SSD first. Upon boot up, I got a BSOD AFTER Windows began to load but before login screen. Happened too fast to see the error code. Upon restart, I was informed the boot device was not valid. In the BIOS, the SSD drive is still seen!

Well, I started over, and reformatted and reinstalled windows, again. Installed all mobo programs on ASRock disc. Other weird things: seeing error on device manager that "SM bus controller" not installed, and cannot successfully burn an .iso image on my DVD burner. I suspect there is something in the SATA interface? The SSD drive is on the "0" port on the mobo.

Should I update the BIOS? There are no real chipset drivers to update, are there?

Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 problem....I think

I would strongly suggest that before you do yet another fresh install of Win7 that you run Memtest86 from a CD to check your system's memory. You might find errors when running Memtest86 and that will mean that you may need to change your timings and/or voltage manually in order to get it error free

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

Once you are error free then secure erase your SSD with Parted Magic

By all means update your UEFI/BIOS to the latest released version make sure you have a USB stick handy and after the flash update -> set DEFAULTS -> then mod any changes that you made to get your memory stable and of course set ACHI for your SSD and then do a fresh install of Win7

d/l and install these drivers for your mobo

ASRock > Products > Motherboard Series Extreme3 Gen3

Then visit Windows Update

Let us know how you make out

SaphireX
    Last edited by SaphireX; 02-02-2012, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Interesting results.

When I originally tested the memory I had all kinds of errors using memtest86. Turns out I had both sticks (matching Patriot 1.5V 1600 4Gb) in the B1 and B2 slots.

I then tested each module individually and the memory passed.

Finally got around to reading the manual ( I know, RTFM) and the recommended setup for two sticks is use of the A1 and B1 slots (or A2 and B2).

So....then I placed the RAM in the proper slots ( A1 and B1 this time)...and the memory is not recognized in the B1 slot. It only shows the A1 slot as having a stick in. I then removed the A1 stick and left the B1 stick in...and it recognizes the B1 stick.

Am I correct to return this board to Newegg for being defective? Despite errors, it does not seem like it is the memory as above. Purchased 1/25/12.

| | | |
      | | | |
      | | | |
      | | | |
      A1 A2 B1 B2

Comment

Try this put dimm #1 in slot A1 nothing in slot B1 and see if it boots and recognizes. Then put dimm #2 in slot A1 and see if it boots and recognizes. If both dimms pass in slot 1 but when you add a 2nd dimm to slot 2 is when only 1 is recognized then yes RMA sounds logical because you've tested both dimms in the same slot and they worked so that rules out a bad memory stick and points at something wrong with the memory slots in general
        Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SaphireX View Post
          Try this put dimm #1 in slot A1 nothing in slot B1 and see if it boots and recognizes. Then put dimm #2 in slot A1 and see if it boots and recognizes. If both dimms pass in slot 1 but when you add a 2nd dimm to slot 2 is when only 1 is recognized then yes RMA sounds logical because you've tested both dimms in the same slot and they worked so that rules out a bad memory stick and points at something wrong with the memory slots in general
          Good Luck!
          So here is an update.

The motherboard
          (ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3) was RMA'd through Newegg. Lightning fast - that company
          is the best.

While waiting for it to arrive, I decided to email Patriot
          and see if I should send back the memory. They thought so, so memory was sent
          back. (Patriot 4Gb DDR3 x 2 1600).

Got the mobo last weekend, then went to Fry's and bought same memory - they pricematched Newegg. I
          figured, when I get the memory back from patriot, I'll add it in and have 16Gb
          just for fun.

Summary - original memory (A) sent back to Patriot. New
          memory (B) from Fry's. Memory replacement from Patriot (C).

Now, the new
          problem. (B) memory placed in positions a2/b2. Mobo autodetects at 1333.
          Manually set to 1600. No prob. Other settings 9-9-9-24 set and Memtest runs it
          for 6-7 passes no errors. I go on to use this setup for a week, gaming, etc. All
          is good.

Then (C) memory arrives. I install in remaining slots a1/b1.
          Restart - doesn't post. Weird thing, fans start, shut down, restarts in 3-4 sec
          for 2 secs, shut down. Cycle repeats 2-3 times before coming up to BIOS. All
          memory recognized but at 1333 timings. Fine, then I run memtest on the whole
          batch together. 33 errors.

Now I am thinking, WTH? NEW memory from
          patriot is bad (C)? So, I take out (B) and leave (C) in existing slots. Same
          POSTing problems as above. Will not accept 1600 set manually. But - run memtest
          on (C) only and it passes 6 times.

So, currently running with (B) back in
          a2/b2.

Also, tried to run with (B) and (C) switched - same result.

(C) in the a2/b2 slot works same, just as well as (B) in those slots.

Should I give up the thoughts of doing 16gb on this board? Could it be the motherboard, again?

Comment

Chances are even though the memory is the same model number of Patriot memory does not mean that memory B and memory C are from the same memory chip mfg process-same date etc etc or are 100% compatible with each other, hence the boot failures and other the other problems/errors you describe. That is why they sell matching-tested "sticks". If you let's say bought 4 x 4Gb =16Gb of Patriot matching-tested sticks as opposed to the 2 separate (not matching-tested dimms) of 2 X 4GB.

Save yourself further frustration and RMA both the B and C and buy 16GB of matched-tested sticks...That will definitively either prove that all 4 dimm slots on the board are good or bad.

Good Luck
            SaphireX
            Last edited by SaphireX; 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X