Need help installing two pcie x1 card on asrock x79 extreme9 mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help installing two pcie x1 card on asrock x79 extreme9 mobo

It's driving me crazy. The Asrock X79 extreme9 mobo only has 1 pcie 2.0 x1 expansion slot and I need 2. All the other slots are pcie 3.0 x16. If I install the Gameblaster into the the pcie 2.0 slot, I can't get my Asus PCE-N15 wireless adapter to work which needs the same slot I guess. The reason I say I guess is because Windows won't launch when I place the wireless adapter in any of the other available slots.

If I install the wireless adapter into the pcie 2.0 slot, it works just fine. But now the Gameblaster soundcard won't work on any of the other slots. So I'm left with at the moment a choice between no internet or no sound.

Does any know if it's a setting I can change to make it work, or do I have to go buy either a new wireless adapter or a sound card? Currently the only slot I use at the moment is PCIE 3 x16 slot 1 for my EVGA GTX 580 and the PCIE 2.0 x1 for my wireless adapter.

thanks in advance!

Re: Need help installing two pcie x1 card on asrock x79 extreme9 mobo

your card has two PCIe x1 slots. You may have to move your video card to the middle PCIe x16.

also, it sounds like a conflict of addresses. just plug the second card into the motherboard after booting into windows and it should assign it properly. PCIe was designed for servers and they are hot-swappable. Just be careful to keep the card straight.

you might be able to manually setup cards in the BIOS if that is still an option on motherboards today.

check to see if there is a newer BIOS for your motherboard as it is very new.

Luck
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

Thanks, but the Asrock x79 Extreme 9 mobo only has 1 PCIE x1 slot and 5 PCIE x16 slots. Also tried hot swapping the card as you suggested but it only froze my computer. For the life of me I can't find the setting in the Bios for manually setting it as well. The bios I'm running is 1.80 and the next bios update doesn't address this issue.

Hmmm...beginning to think I made a mistake buying this mobo. I sent an email to Asrock tech support but haven't gotten a response. They seem to take forever answering your questions.

Comment

The slots and pci 3.0 should be backward compatible?

Its there an option to turn off pc i3.0 since you have nothing that uses it atm?)

Anything in the manual that indicates the correct slots for different items? as the above poster said ,is slot 1 the one that you are supposed to use for gx with only 1 card?.I thought I saw a digram somewhere where it should be like slot 2 or 3.

Since asrock response seems too slow, and if you dont get more replies here, why not check out reviews of the board etc, there must be plenty of them online by now.
        Maybe there would be some info there.

edit : Thought I saw some advanced northbridge connection window in the uefi that seemed to relate to pci slot usage. Perhaps adjustments are needed there (see manual?)
        You can save uefi screen shots to a usb stick.
        Last edited by kick; 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Hi!

Were you successful after all?
          I'm thinking of buying this mobo and definitely will have 2 PCIE x1 devices to insert. Wondering if it is possible to use one of PCIE x16 slot for 1 of my PCIE x1 devices.

Didn't found any info in motherboard's manual as well.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X