Asrock z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Boot Loop Issue - Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Boot Loop Issue - Please help

Hi, all. This is my first post. I'm having problems with my newly purchased Asrock z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 / i7 2600k combination. I have 8GB of GSkill Sniper 1866 ram in the system and the PSU is a Seasonic 80+ 650W (just 80+ not bronze,silver,gold,plat - it is a few years old before those standards were introduced.) The board was working fine until recently when I decided to give my old Corsair H50 a shot on it instead of my CM 212+ to see if I could reduce temperatures. I probably should not of (I normally do not), but I did take out the 2600k to clean off the thermal paste and then put it back in before reapplying it. I did, however, use an anti-static strap during the whole process.

Problem: Ever since the swap when I power on the system I get "00" on the Dr Debug LED lights and the system powers on for about 2 seconds then shuts off and then about 2-3 seconds later it powers on and then 2 seconds later powers off, etc. This cycle will continue unless I hold down the power button or turn off the power switch on the PSU.

The other odd thing to note is that one of the 3-pin power connectors for the CPU fan (cpu_fan_2 I believe) is not giving any power to spin a fan. I haven't tested all of the fan connectors yet, but I can do that as well.

I have reseated the processor, removed the video card, tried a different heatsink, tried moving around memory and slots, tried new memory, disconnected everything from the motherboard powerwise except the 24-pin and the 6-pin 12V connector, disconnected all sata connections, and I have even removed the motherboard from the case and put it on a box to rule out any shorts between it and the case. I also took out the CMOS battery and reset the BIOS numerous times with the jumper as well as the switch to no avail. The only thing I have not done was swap the power supply which I will do next. (I ran out of time or else I would have, but since I'm stuck at work now I figured I would post to see if anyone had any suggestions since this is killing me. No one is perfect I know, but I haven't blown anything up in a while besides a powersupply and well that thing was a no name and probably 15 years old itself.)

I will try the PSU when I get home, but if that doesn't work what could it be? I have researched this a lot and tried a lot of people's suggestions. I hope it is the PSU, but if it is not then is it possible that perhaps a bent pin on the LGA 1155 slot is causing these issues? Would a bent pin affect the 3-pin power connector on the motherboard from not giving power? Could I take out the 2600k and boot the system? Would I get a beep code? (I did not get any beep codes when I booted with no memory and I found that strange.)

I apologize for the book, but I wanted to give as much information as possible. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Re: Asrock z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Boot Loop Issue - Please help

you didnt need to remove the cpu to clean/re apply thermal paste imo,you could have wiped it off while it was clamped in place,its best to not disturb the cpu if you can help it,you might have bent the cpu socket pins? if you do check be very carefull but i would start there

you need cpu/memory/power to boot pc into bios without those it wont work
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I know I should not have taken out the processor. I don't usually so that was my bad for sure. I know I need CPU/Mem/PSU to get into BIOS, but I was just wondering if there is no CPU or memory should I at least get a beep/error code though? Thanks for your reply. (BTW now I am going to have to watch Goonies again...Sloth & Chunk - good stuff.)

Any more ideas/suggestions from anyone?

Comment

i dont know for beep errors but you need to look at cpu socket now for any bent pins,once your 100% sure move on to other things to test
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Right. I will swap out the PSU as soon as I get home and if that doesn't correct the issue then I will check for bent pins in the socket. Thanks.

Comment

Alright, well I tried a new PSU and that did not correct it. Same exact issue. I then checked all of the pins in the 1155 socket with a lit magnifying glass and they are fine, too. I checked the entire board for cracks, defects, etc. None were found either. I then checked the 2600k chip, cleaned it up, put it on, and installed the Intel heatsink/fan combo since it was easy and I hadn't used it yet. Same thing. Dr Debug reads 00 and then it boots for 2 seconds, turns off for 2-3 seconds, then continues the pattern.

My question now is, what should I RMA? The motherboard? The processor? Both? Any suggestions on what people think it could be?

Thanks again.

Comment

Well go back to basics
              When and why did the pc stop working?
              Something in and around the cpu.

Cooler change.
              Wazza has covered the bent pins possibility and you have up to a point ,but more in a bent off true sense ..
              The heads pins are all in a nice pattern as far as you can see but that doesnt eliminate the possibility of a kink.
              ie a tiny bend the leaves the pin head in line with the others but just marginally lower.

Or a cpu socket warp , not so much from simply taking out the cpu but from perhaps unequal tightening on the heatsink.
              Im not saying this happened , but its something to consider.

hmm a H50
              I hope it wasnt anything like this :

Hi, my Corsair H50 has leaked and fried my motherboard, graphics card and 1 stick of memory.

I have filled out an RMA and understand that as I am still in warranty Corsair will replace any damaged parts.

The question I have is that I am based in the UK, so will Corsair still honour this part of the warranty? And roughly how long does it take to sort an RMA out? I'm only asking as I use my pc for work as well and I need to have my system up and running as soon as possible, but I don't really want to have to go and buy new parts if Corsair will replace them.

If anybody can help I would be grateful!

How was the H50 attached ?
              Was it thru the 775 holes or the 1155/1156 holes?
              I think the h50 can mount on like 3 different cpu hole spacing anyway, but could there have been some torque variatons compared to the 212?
              I bent my original b2 p67 board slightlywhen trying to fit my v8 cooler in the 775 holes, it still worked after I got a 1155 cooler .
              I checked out the cpu socket type(mbrd manufacturers use cpu socket types from different suppliers it seems) and it was listed as one of the better ones.
              Ive no links or anything .. this is a year ago.
              Some people have suggested the 775 holes are more of a false advantage long story.

I personally wasnt too worried as long as the machine stayed working till I got my b3 replacement board.but the b2 was visibly not "true".
              One of the back connectors on the B2. spdif out I think whatever one is tallest on the top back was bent back at a 45 degree angle. I mean really far ,transit damage.I just pushed it back so the board would fit ok.
              Another symptom of the . who cares as long as it works, ill get my B3 soon syndrome :)

I also havent used a intel heatsink /cooler in about 10 years cos I get my cpu's in the cheaper white box version.

Thats of no real interest to you..

If there has been any twisting the 212 installation looks to have the most power and most substantial backplate of the 3(intel with the push fitment wont correct anything) , tho Im not a fan of their x marks the spot multi cpu attachment.
              try the cpu out again and centre it lightly to what looks the most visually correct with equal gaps all round to you.
              If it looks off dont try and force slide it, just lift out again and drop to a better position.
              clamp it.
              Then try the 212 again.paste application.. I favor the 2 strip method instead of single strip or bead/blob, from patterns Ive seen when removing heatsinks later.

You have tried a lot already, Intel "only" guarantees the cpu for 50 insertion /removals , how they determine that I dont know.microscopic scratch tests?

Do you have everything that worked ok before connected up.?
              What did you have the boot failure count set at?

Try the original bits back together and see.
              cpu fan 2 I dont know if it gives any output if cpu fan 1 isnt connected, ,I just know u wont get user setable fan speeds which can be overidden by cpu temp if you dont have a 4 pin on cpu fan 1 and (which will then control cpu fab 2).
              I mean Ive never had a fan on just cpu fan 2 without one on cpu fan 1, 3 or 4 pin.Maybe its that.

The debug code 00 i think is unused.. maybe general failure.
              The more common ones are D6 and A when things like gx arent recognised properly.

Try the http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...tml#post413880
              That and needing bios update are all Ive really had probs with so far.Of course to update bios u need to be able to access it!

As I said you seem to have tried a lot.. but it was working. you would have been v unlucky to damage other components .
              At a guess..eek if the above doesnt work, the most likely thing is the motherboard is preventing the other components from working since you changed the cpu heatsink..
              Last edited by kick; 01-27-2012, 03:19 PM.
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Just to update - I tried everything with that ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 board and finally gave up and returned it for a refund. Since then I have purchased an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 board and everything works great now. I used all of the original equipment just on this new board. The 2600k is fine as well as the memory, PSU, etc. As a matter of fact everything seems to be 10X faster and that is at stock speeds. I'm thinking the ASRock board had an issue from the beginning.

Comment

The asus is a great board,esp the built in blootooth,shame about the asrock though,just had to Rma with them myself and pretty impressed with there service,ASUS take note!
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                  X