Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my CPU running too hot at Idle temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my CPU running too hot at Idle temperature?

I have the ASRock Z68M/USB3 board with an Intel Core i7-2700K. I have the Cooler Master Hyper TX3

Re: Is my CPU running too hot at Idle temperature?

check temps in windows not in bios as the power saving features wont be working until windows is loaded hence higher temps,mine idles around 32c dont know what my room temp is though,use core temp or realtemp programs to check in windows

my cpu fan speed is 1100rpm
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Comment

Yep as Wazza said Uefi temps will be higher.
        Do you use the cpu temp control selection on the fans?
        If the fans support it
        CPU fan1 and 2 set em at level 5 for example and set the cpu temp at 50c then in windows as long as the cpu doesnt go over 50C the fans will stay at lvl 5 . If it goes higher they will speed up gradually.
        You can do the same with Chassis 1 fan
        Chassis 2 and 3 u just set manually and power fan header is full on unless the fan has a built in thermocouple/resistor.
        Cpu temps at idle in windows you can check with axtu,. They should be in the 7-10c above room temp range if your heatsink etc is connected ok.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta View Post
          I have the ASRock Z68M/USB3 board with an Intel Core i7-2700K. I have the Cooler Master Hyper TX3
          as already stated, check windows software for temperatures. The BIOS doesn't use power saving mode.

also, you will never come close to 14C on air or water. The lowest you can get is room temperature. If you ever get reports of lower than room temperature, then you need to update your monitoring program, or try a different one.

If your temps are still high, then try reapplying thermal paste with the single drop in the center of the cpu about the size of a pea. Let it set for a while (I usual;ly let it set for an hour), as heat will thicken the paste and cause it to set too early and not allow proper distribution and not completely cover CPU. Never spread it out as it will ripple and trap air and air acts as an insulator making your CPU hotter.

Here's a youtube video of the different methods and you can see why the pea method is one of the best.

How does each method spreads under heatsink? Watch it live!Picture illustration on why spread method isn't the best: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/N...

-=Mark=-
          ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

I think you might have misunderstood my post regarding room temperature. In that test run, the differencedelta-T,

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
              Yep as Wazza said Uefi temps will be higher.
              Do you use the cpu temp control selection on the fans?
              If the fans support it
              CPU fan1 and 2 set em at level 5 for example and set the cpu temp at 50c then in windows as long as the cpu doesnt go over 50C the fans will stay at lvl 5 . If it goes higher they will speed up gradually.
              You can do the same with Chassis 1 fan
              Chassis 2 and 3 u just set manually and power fan header is full on unless the fan has a built in thermocouple/resistor.
              Cpu temps at idle in windows you can check with axtu,. They should be in the 7-10c above room temp range if your heatsink etc is connected ok.
              Last edited by CookyMonzta; 01-27-2012, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Yes if you have a 4 pin pwm fan on cpu fan header 1 it will speed up gradually if the cpu goes over the temp you select ,nothing might happen until about 50C if you select 48C

It wont go back to the speed /lvl you select until the cpu temp goes down to about 43-45.

Its not a "48C warning warning all fans go to full power now!"..its a more gradual speed up and down in a10C range
                Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

With stock coolers and all processor cores working on full load (ic with many hours of videocoding) your room temperature could easily result in CPU temperatures of 50 degrees Celsius. At least mine with a 95 Watt CPU did during summer. I bought myself an overdimensioned cooler from a series adapted towards 125 Watts CPU and expect max temp to drop. At least this also worked on a very old S939 system of my son, when I changed the cooler from stock a to larger format (here the CPU reached at least 60, sometimes 65 degrees Celsius, which I found too much, now it is 40 Celsius max.... ). Please note that some types of stronger coolers blow sideways and no longer cool the capacitors etc around the CPU-socket. Then your CPU remains cool, while your capacitors and other onboard power elements are fried.... :-D on

Comment

Heh, I wish mine was around 40, its idling is around 65 - which i guess isn't that great if max for the chip is 73

Comment

Working...
                    X