Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock z68 Pro3 Gen3 Overclock help!

Good morning everybody,

I'm going to buy the MB Asrock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, But I read on some internet forums that there is a issue to OC with this mainboard, related to the Vcore Setup that can't be regulated properly with this version (with the "old" Pro3 this was possible). My intention is to buy a core i5 2500k and make some OC (just to bypass 4.0 Ghz). There is some user who has the Pro3 Gen3 that can confirm me the possibility to perform OC with no issues? Which are the settings that must be used?

Thank you so much for help!

Re: Asrock z68 Pro3 Gen3 Overclock help!

I'm sure you won't have any problems hitting 4.0GHz. Most problems arise passing 5.0Hz. With ASRock this may be a bigger issue as these are the budget line of Asus products. but any budget board typically won't use as high of quality components as a more expensive board and may have more issues.

But if you're so uncomfortable with buying one that you have to come here asking for just one persons approval, then I'd say try a different model or even manufacturer. Try not to talk yourself into something your heart tells you not to. When ever I don't listen, I always have the worst possible luck.

read lots or reviews and view some youtube videos before buying.

Brands I've had the best luck are Asus, Gigabyte, and Biostar. But I usually get one of the top three tier boards of the companies offerings.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

I received a confirmation about PRO3 GEN3 overclock by one user who did it. Here are the settings for a 4300ghz stable at 1.24v (automatically taken if you set CPU ratio to 43) if someone wants to:

CPU RATIO ---- 43
      INTERNAL PLL VOLTAGE --- DISABLED
      GT OVERCLOCK --- DISABLED
      INTEL SPEDDSTEP TEC. --- ENABLED
      TURBO BOOST POWER LIMIT --- MANUAL
      SHORT DURATION P.L. --- 200
      LONG DURATIO P.L. --- 200
      LONG DURATION MAINT. --- 1
      ADDICTIONAL TURBO VOLTAGE --- AUTO
      CORE CURRENT LIMIT --- 200
      HOST CLOCK OVERRIDE --- 100.1
      SPREAD SPECTRUM --- ENABLED
      CPU CORE VOLTAGE OFFSET --- AUTO

Well, I will try as soon as I receive the CPU!! Thank you everybody for help

Comment

from my asrock board and 2500k
        1.Use the autoclock settings in the uefi/bios when you get the cpu and see what happens.
        Ive never seen/heard of anyone not getting at least 4.0 straight off.Even a 2500 non k will go 3.7,you cant clock it but it does that automatically if load demands.

2.keep going on the auto settings till you find out what your cpu will do.
        Mine topped out at 4.6 without adjustment and for all tests at 1.2v if you like to put it that way but thats not the full voltage that will be applied on bench testing..itll go up to 1.34-1.4

3.the highest boot speed I can get using standard Asrock bios/uefi settings on my cpu sample is 4.8ghz,but its not stable at that under hard benching, it needs some uefi/bios tweaks for that.fairly minor.max allowable voltage goes up to 1.47-1.48 altho it is in the I get 4.8 at 1.2v bracket!

4.My cpu sample will do 5.0ghz*, but its like anything else your gonna have more heat and noise and more volts, tho you could say its in the 1.2-1.3v range, it wont stay that way long if you load itand anything over your cpu sample limit say 4.2 -4.5 ghxz you will have to push volts a bit whether you use offset or fixed .

There are sites which did/still do information on the best cpu batch nos,stepping etc for cpu's,but for general buyers what use is that .
        The majority takes what they get .
        Buying second hand or being wary cos a cpu is coming to the end of its production run..maybe
        Last edited by kick; 01-27-2012, 04:28 PM.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
        X