ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 is frustrating me, help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 is frustrating me, help please

Just got in all my stuff to build my new computer and this motherboard is giving me a hell of a time. I have owned well over 20 motherboards in my time from MSI, Asus, and Gigabyte and have never had this issue.

Everything works hardware wise with the excpetion of my keyboard and mouse. First of all the motherboard absolutely does not recognize my Razer Mouse and keyboard. If I plug in a generic mouse and keyboard they work in the bios, but do not work outside of that so I can't log into windows. If I turn off the legacy USB option in the bios the keyboard will now work so I can log into windows but the mouse won't work.

I have tried 5 different sets of keyboards and mice and messed with all the options in the bios that I can think of and nothing works. The fact that I can't install a new motherboard and the bios will not recognize the mouse and keyboard is absolutely rediculous.

I have gone to ASRocks website and the few forums they offer plus I have read everything I can think of. This is so frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 is frustrating me, help please

Dear krisco65,

We didnt' see the symptom before, please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing first.
    1. Clear CMOS to try.
    2. Plug the mouse and keyboard to other USB2.0 ports to check whether the symptom still occur.

If the problem still cannot be sovled, please kindly tell me the detail model name of keyboard and mouse.
    I will check this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
      Dear krisco65,

We didnt' see the symptom before, please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing first.
      1. Clear CMOS to try.
      2. Plug the mouse and keyboard to other USB2.0 ports to check whether the symptom still occur.

If the problem still cannot be sovled, please kindly tell me the detail model name of keyboard and mouse.
      I will check this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
      ASRock TSD
      Emily

I have cleared the CMOS probably 10 times and I have tried multiple USB2.0 ports. I use a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard and a Razer Naga Epic mouse. However I tried 4 more mice and keyboards all to the same effect.

Comment

Also, the fact that a resolution is to "try all the other ones, one is bound to work" somewhat worries me =/

Comment

I tried what you asked and I now only have the keyboard and mouse in the bios. I can't log into windows.

Comment

Which specific ports are you using and which mouse and keyboard models?
            With your current setup, which screens do you see while booting?
            Does your system hang or freeze on one screen?
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I finally managed to get it working. Here is the hoops I had to jump through:

I had to flash the bios back to 1.0, which is the original bios that the board had when it was first made. In order to do this however, you have to have a thumbdrive or external hard drive, but it cannot be NTFS. It has to be fat32. However you cant use a external hard drive because fat32 only supports up to 4gb. So I had to go buy a 2gb flash drive.

Once the new (old) bios is flashed in there I now dont have a mouse in the bios, but I do have a keyboard. So I can now turn off the legacy usb option using my keyboard, save and reboot.

Now at the windows login screen I no longer have my keyboard but I now have my mouse. So what I had to do was turn on the on-screen keyboard and click my password in. Once logged into windows I could finally re-plug in my keyboard and mouse and have windows re-apply the drivers.

This is pretty rediculous and definately the worst experience I have had with a motherboard so far. I can only hope that once it comes time to overclock the board lives up to the reviews it received.

Thanks to all who helped.

Comment

Working...
              X