Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

random BSOD ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 AND eVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1gig BUT ok with GeForce 9600 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• random BSOD ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 AND eVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1gig BUT ok with GeForce 9600 GT

Pulling my hair out: Please any ideas:

I have new system that worked fine for about 45days, then on Dec 29th( MS updates? ) or so started to random and frequent BSOD's.
    hint: If I swap out the video card(eVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1gig) to an older eVGA GeForce 9600 GT all works fine.

This 'bad GTX550 Ti 1gig' video card works perfectly in my old system: Dell Insiron 530 desktop( uses an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz ).

I've disabled all HD audio devices( still bsod ), usb3, and tried all PCI-Express combinations to resolve this.

hint: If I tweak the GPU core voltage to 1.150vdc the BSOD's still occur, but less frequently.
    hint: works fine with: eVGA GeForce 9600 GT (G94-300) :Video card
    hint: the eVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1gig :Video card works fine in another PC I have Dell Insiron 530 quadcore Intel with wimpy OEM power supply
    hint: bought a new eVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1gig, threw it in and it acts the same with random and frequent BSOD's

system:
    ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 :Motherboard
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    eVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1gig :Video card
    2 modules of GSKill F3-12800CL9-4GBRL DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM
    COOLER MASTER RS600-PCARE3-US (600W):power supply
    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

=======log of hardware: HWiNFO32 Version 3.91-1470 ======w/ eVGA GeForce 9600 GT (G94-300) :Video card that works ================================
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (Thuban, PH-E0) @ 798 MHz (4.00x199.6)
    Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3
    Chipset: AMD 990FX (RD990) + SB920/SB950
    Memory: 8192 MBytes @ 665 MHz, 9.0-9-9-24
    - 4096 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBRL
    - 4096 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - G Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBRL
    Graphics: EVGA e-GeForce 9600 GT
    nVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT (G94-300), 512 MB GDDR3 SDRAM
    Drive: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s
    Sound: ATI SB800/Hudson-1 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Network: Broadcom NetLink BCM57781 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Re: random BSOD ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 AND eVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1gig BUT ok with GeForce 9600 GT

Did you try uninstalling the old video drivers and download and install the latest from nvidia?

I assume you plugged in the power cord to the video card?

Maybe try running ccleaner immediately after uninstalling nvidia drivers to wipe out any left over config files.

also, do you get a bios screen with the 550? do you get into windows at all?

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed.

also, go into BIOS and load defaults and boot without any changes.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Comment

Re: random BSOD ASROCK 990FX Extreme3 AND eVGA GeForce GTX550 Ti 1gig BUT ok with GeForce 9600 GT

MarkJohnson
      Did you try uninstalling the old video drivers and download and install the latest from nvidia? Yes several times/iteration using driver-sweep

I assume you plugged in the power cord to the video card? Yes

Maybe try running ccleaner immediately after uninstalling nvidia drivers to wipe out any left over config files. Didn't try that but used driver-sweep

also, do you get a bios screen with the 550? do you get into windows at all? Yes into Windows and sometimes not even. Totally random durations of run time till BSOD( BSOD was generic )::
      On Mon 1/9/2012 9:10:02 PM GMT your computer crashed
      crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
      This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
      Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFD8004C0A078, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80003AAAF90)
      Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
      Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
      This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
      The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed. Yes and also tried some beta's

also, go into BIOS and load defaults and boot without any changes. Did that too

Good luck Thanks! I need it
      -=Mark=-

Comment

I tried running MS driver verifier for Win7( very scary :-) and it didn't like TotalRecorders Totrec8.sys kernal driver so I removed that.
        note: if you ever play with MS driver verifier, backup your machine and also create a restore point. It almost does whql like
        testing who's purpose is to send you machine into BSOD loops until you resolve the bad or poorly written driver(s) one by one.
        Some people freak out by the looping bsods, but that's the point of it. To give deeper level info on kernal faults.

I will check soon( I'm at work with the machine and the old card to get work done) with the GTX550 back installed to see if that made a difference.
        It makes sense somewhat that this particular driver could be an issue. I have the GTX550s' internal HD audio controller disabled(PIA!), but
        TotalRecorder uses this .sys as a kernal driver that may be trying to do direct R/W to it anyway in a bad manner.

Let you know. -Lee

Comment

No luck! Just BSOD same way.

I'm giving up: as I've spent too many days now on this and this is my money earning machine.

1) I'm going to use the older GeForce 9600 GT card for my work machine,
          2) Put the GTX550TI 1G in the old machine that likes it as a Netflix HDMI out to the TV( only benefit of this frigging card at this point).
          3) Try to exchange the newer GTX550TI 1G for a GTX560 or something else, or maybe a different mother board. This sucks!!! I've got a sneeking suspicion its something to do with the
          HD audio but I've tried all the recommended steps.

Opinions?
          Thanks!

Comment

What's sad is the internet searches show lots similar issues with this chipset/ref design of the nvidia GTX550 Ti, GTX560 and others have nowhere near the amount of complaints.
            Not hearing any resolving tales on it either in the case of the GTX550 Ti. A lot of people pipe up and say" well I've never had that problem, then they list the xxx560,570,... or some other chip combo
            Curious!

Comment

Ok well apologies to Asrock and eVGA GTX550 guys so far.

Thorough testing with a fresh OS on different systems the cards are functioning. It's now been narrowed down to either the CPU interleaving
              or bad DDR3 ram timings( which are set on auto and appear to be correct for the parts.
              I also bought a fresh GigaByte 990FXA-UD3 mother board which is nearly the same design and it acted bad also( with the above DDR3 sticks ) .

-AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
              -2 modules of GSKill F3-12800CL9-4GBRL DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM

Placing the SDRAM sticks in adjacent slots(1,3)( non-dualchannel mode seems) to work ok for now for about an hour with no BSOD and the eVGA GTX550 .

Still burning it in to see if BSOD's pop up anew. Weird. I'm going to have 2 complete systems after nailing this one at twice the anticipated cost ;-)

Comment

Put some cheap Corsair DDR3 1333 in there and things are rocking so far. Dang hi-end DDR3 venders and their finicky timing ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X