Fatal1ty Fan Power/Connections and AXTU Fan Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatal1ty Fan Power/Connections and AXTU Fan Tuning

I just finished installing my new Fatal1ty Z68 to replace a Maximus IV Extreme. I have a couple of comments and questions.

1) I have a push/pull H50 fan setup and both fans need power as well as a means to run them at the same speed. From what I can tell one CPU headers allows for speeds adjustment while the other is 100% powered all of the time. There is also one single chassis fan header that will run and increase or decrease speed automatically based on temperature while the other two do not depend on any type of temperature reading. Two of the three chassis headers can be adjusted on a scale of 1-10 in the AXTU software while the other is on a scale of 1-4. Now that I mention it, even if I set chassis1 to manual in BIOS, set it at level 1 AND set it at level 1 in teh AXTU software, the fan still runs at 1800 RPM. Basically, there are five headers that are all different which makes it almost impossible to match two similar devices that need to be powered from these headers. I have also noticed that between the chassis1 header and the CPU1 header that regulate speed based on temperature, the speeds are different with identical fans even though the scale is set on the same level in AXTU. I say this based on the fact my fans were at 800 and 1300 RPM's when the fan level was set to level 1. Is there another version of the AXTU or a BIOS version that is different from 1.3 that addresses any of this?

2) Is there any way to control the max and min RPM's of my fans? I noticed that the lowest they will idle at is 800+ RPM's and I have seen them run much lower with a different motherboard and software.

3) Is there any way to control the rate at which the fans will increase and decrease speed? I ran Prime95 to quickly get some heat into my CPU to see how the fans reacted, and it takes nearly a half minute for the fans to get up to speed. The same goes for when I stop Prime95 and the CPU has cooled off. It takes another half minute for the fans to go make to idle. These CPU's heat up and cool off extremely quick and the fans need to keep up. When I had the Asus MIVE the fan increase and decrease was almost instantaneous.

4) Is there a way to setup up a custom fan profile based on temperature instead of using a 1-10 scale? Anything over a 2 or 3 just runs way too loud when the computer is at idle. Using the AI Suite with the motherboard I mentioned earlier, I could set up a custom profile and create points along the chart as too how much %-wise I wanted the fans to run based on temperature. In this day and age with software and technology, I find it hard to set up my board using a 1-10 scale or 1-4 scale, especially when it's something as important as CPU temperature.

I know most of this I have mentioned can be fixed with software updates. Is there a new update to AXTU in the near future? Is there an older version that perhaps works better? Is there another software suite that anybody could recommend that might help?

Thank you in advance for any input.

-------------------------------------------------

It makes sense that the 4 pin would be controllable and the 3 pin would not, but I just experimented with all 5 headers and took some notes. Here is what the manual says: "CHA_FAN1/2/3 fan speed can be controlled through UEFI or AXTU". Here is what I found. I noted the # of pins, whether it is adjustable or not, what scales of adjustment through the AXTU software and the min-max range of RPM's.

CPU1
    4 pin
    non-adjustable
    scale 1-10
    1800 RPM constant

CPU2
    3 pin
    adjustable
    scale 1-10
    1150-1800 RPM range

CHA1
    4 pin
    non-adjustable
    scale 1-10
    1800 RPM constant

CHA2
    3 pin
    adjustable
    scale 1-4
    1300-1800 RPM range

CHA3
    3 pin
    adjustable
    scale 1-10
    900-1800 RPM range

Why only one fan header is available with a 1-4 scale via the AXTU software, I don't know. Not to mention the RPM range is different on the available headers with 1-10 scale.

Re: Fatal1ty Fan Power/Connections and AXTU Fan Tuning

Here is the original thread before I realized I should have posted this in the appropriate forum. Thanks for the help wazza!

Comment

Working...
    X