ASmedia USB 3.0 controller (ASM1042) on the Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASmedia USB 3.0 controller (ASM1042) on the Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3

I updated the driver and firmware for the integrated ASmedia USB 3.0 controller on the ASrock Z68 Extreme 78 Gen 3 board. The result was not very good. The driver update works with the USB 3.0 external HDD I use (WD Passport 1TB) but the firmware update (xHCI_v110914_00_02_51.bin) causes the USB transfer to stall after a short while. After about 30 seconds I get a messege the destination file does not exist.

I though I would just pass this along, if anyone else tends to upgrade to this firmware. I downgraded the firmware to 0315_123.bin and everything works ok again. The driver update itself works though (1.14.3)

ASROCK Z68 Extrem 7 Gen 3 bios & drivers
    Last edited by SaphireX; 12-21-2011, 05:16 AM. Reason: addinfo

Comment

Re: ASmedia USB 3.0 controller (ASM1042) on the Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3

Hi.

You could have a point about the involvment of the Asusboard. There is a folder named Asus in the package. The source for the files I used was http://www.station-drivers.com/page/asmedia.htm
      I am wondering what is the latest driver and firmware for the USB 3.0 controller that is tested OK with this ASRock board? I suppose ASRock themselves must do some testing for these things?
      Do you know what the original firmware and driver is for the controller. The one it shipped with?

Comment

Re: ASmedia USB 3.0 controller (ASM1042) on the Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3

I would exercise caution in d/l-ing and installing any updates then whats listed specifically for the ASRock Extreme 7 Gen 3 board from station-drivers. Since the latest ASMedia USB 3.0 version 1.14.2 is specifically listed for this board and not the 1.14.3. ASMedia makes several different chipset revisions and the 1.14.3 driver package that you installed may not necessarily apply for the revison of the chipset that was actually installed on the ASRock board. It may indeed be more for the chipset revsion that most likely was installed/used on ASUS boards esp since the ReadMe spells out ASUS...

As far as what the ASMedia USB 3.0 actual chipset version that was installed I think it's stamped on the part on the board. The actual firmware that it was flashed with I imagine is "propriety" and something that is probably uncoverable if you know of what specific software will decode what appears to be an encypted UEFI since I tried several programmining applications to read the text, but was unable to decode it in any readable format...

The original drivers are still up at the ASRock page as well as what's on the mobo CD

ASRock > Products > Motherboard Series Extreme7 Gen3

Comment

Working...
        X