Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68-itx/ht

Hi!

So I just built an HTPC with the Z68-ITX/HT (1.20 BIOS) and everything is great with the exception of the CIR. I have verified that I have plugged the case's front USB into both the USB/CIR header on the motherboard correctly but I am unable to get the included USB IR receiver to work. Looking in the manual, there is a section for enabling the CIR. I have verified that my BIOS doesn't have that option listed where the manual has it. I'm assuming the manual has older version and the new one has it in a different spot or maybe they just forgot to put it in?

Anyone have any luck with the IR receiver and CIR?

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Z68-itx/ht

using latest mb bios? maybe you need to update the bios to the latest one first
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Latest BIOS is 1.20 and is the same version that I have.

Comment

Hi IowaDad,
        Thanks for contacting ASRock.

Please kindly refer to below link for user manual page 24 to install your USB front panel.
        Link: http://download.asrock.com/manual/Z68M-ITXHT.pdf

And please kindly know "only one of the front USB port can support CIR function."

So you can plug USB CIR receiver to another front USB port to try.

If any question, please kindly let me know.
        Thanks for your support!

Have a nice day
        ASRock TSD
        Emily

Comment

Emily-

Thanks for the reply. The actual documentation is incorrect. The images only show one USB 2.0 header next to the CIR header. On the board, there are actually two USB 2.0 headers with the CIR header in-between them. Here is a picture of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	751733

As you can see, I have the USB 2.0 cable plugged into the CIR and the USB header (USB 8_9)with the dummy slots facing the correct way.
          Since the case manufacture blocks off one of the dummy pins by filling the hole with plastic there is really only one logical way to connect the USB cable to the header. I have connected it that way and while I do get power to both USB ports on the board, only one operate a normal thumb drive. The other port provides power to the thumb drive, but the system doesn't see it as a "hard drive". I'm assuming that is the port that the CIR is connected to.

I have also use a small rotary tool to remove the installed plastic on the cases front panel USB cable and attached that to the USB/CIR header on the board (USB 6_7)with almost the same results. The difference is that the USB port that won't recognize the thumb drive is the other one.

Hope that help clear some things up.

Comment

sorry but is that the correct way to plug the block in the mb? your half on half off the mb usb header? shouldnt it be fully inline with the blue plastic underneath? if it doesnt fit turn it round 360 degrees and try plugging in

EDIT i see what you mean now with the cir in between the usb headers,tried the other way though using half the upper usb header and cir pins?
            Last edited by wazza300; 12-08-2011, 08:56 AM.
            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Wazza300-

Ya, I tried both USB headers and had the same result. In order to get the lower USB header to work, I needed to drill out the plastic filler over the one dummy pin from the cases front panel cable. Same result on either of the USB headers and the CIR header. One USB port operating normally (thumb drive works fine) and one USB port with power being provided (thumb drive powers up but drive isn't recognized by the system). I assume that the port with the thumb drive being powered up but not recognized by the system is the CIR port.

I don't think there is ANY other way to plug the cable into the headers besides what I have already done.

Comment

I have just read that the CIR receiver has to be plugged in prior to boot as it isn't a hot-swap device. I have the same problem and will go and try it now.

Comment

Ok, think I got it working.

Assuming that the connections are correct on the m/b (the pic in the manual is not the same as my hardware). This is what I did.

1. Without the CIR in the front USB port turn your system on and when it's booted, plug a thumb/pen drive into one of them. windows could find it in one and not in the other.
                  2. once you know which one doesn't work for a normal USB device, thats the one for the CIR device.
                  3. turn your machine off, plug the CIR receiver in.

now the bit i hadn't done previously (I just wrongly assumed that windows would have seen it from the start)

4. go to the asrock website and download the correct driver (CIR receiver driver ver xxx - around 7.50Mb)for the operating system and install it (using the setup file in the download)
                  5. it should then detect the device and install it and when you reboot......... it should work (it did for me) :)

Hope it helps

Comment

I have not tried that. I just assumed it was hot swappable. I'll try that when I get home!

Comment

Thanks Inaman! You were correct. The CIR isn't hot swappable. I plugged the USB key with the system off and then powered it back on and the CIR option in the bios is there! Boy... That would've been good to know during the initial build. Sadly, out of frustration I ordered one of the HP MCE receivers for 10 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X