• M3A770DE and Cool'n'Quiet

Hello,

I just put together the following:

ASRock M3A770DE
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series (2x4GB) F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W PSU
    XFX HD-485X-ZNFC Radeon HD 4850

I am having an issue with being able to disable the Cool'n'Quiet feature. When I disable the option in the BIOS, the machine boots to strange beep code of 2 short followed by 8 medium. There is no display at all. In order to get back into the system I have clear the CMOS. It took me a while to pinpoint that Cool'n'Quiet was the culprit, but it definitely is. I have an old EVGA 8800GTS 320MB SuperClocked Edition card and put it in and it will boot just fine with Cool'n'Quiet disabled.

So, I am trying to figure out if this is a motherboard or a video card issue. I am kind of leaning toward the video card. Ignoring the warning in the BIOS about possible instability, I left Cool'n'Quiet enabled and installed Windows 7 Professional. All seemed great until I installed the AMD/ATI Catalyst 11.9 drivers. Once I did that, I received a black screen right after installation and had to hard reboot. On the next reboot, I got a hard freeze at the desktop with weird screen pixelization everywhere. The system is completely unstable now with the drivers installed. I cannot do anything without it freezing. I'd like to uninstall the drivers, but it won't even let me do that without freezing.

Any suggestions/guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: M3A770DE and Cool'n'Quiet

FYI. I fixed my problem. I replaced the card with an EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti and no more problems. The XFX card was definitely faulty (it's no wonder Newegg was clearing them out).

Comment

Re: M3A770DE and Cool'n'Quiet

Dear GrepACE,

We did the test, but we couldn't see the symptom like yours.

And it's great to know your system works well now.

If any question, please kindly let me know.

Thanks for your support!

Have a nice day
      ASRock TSD
      Emily

Comment

Working...
      X