AsRock 990FX Extreme4 Clarification questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AsRock 990FX Extreme4 Clarification questions

Hello and good day Asrock fans. Just joined up to try and get some information regarding my current mb as apparently it was not the "in" one to get so there is like no information in the wild regarding it.

Firstly, what is LLC setting 1/2, 1/4, and disable? How am I as a consumer supposed to relate to what level that would be?

Secondly, I see other manufacturers have memory options concerning ganged and unganged mode, why not on that 990FX Extreme4?

Third, is there a more efficient and stable bios coming for the 990FX Extreme4? Apparently for the Fatality Professional there are a few beta bios's floating around. Is there anyway we can get some wheels going for the same support on the Extreme4?

Please don't take this as any form of bashing, this is my first dive in with Asrock for my own personal desktop mb choice. I am really hoping I am not regretting it.

I will end with, Yes, I am one of the many who bought the overhyped failure that is BD, and now I am hoping bios 1.30 wasn't AsRocks engineers best bios for this platform. I know they have something good with plenty of options, please I beg of you to pass it on.

Thanks for reading,

racer

P.S. and Yes I know it is technically a UEFI know, not bios, no more editing cmos.

Re: AsRock 990FX Extreme4 Clarification questions

load line calibration is to compensate for vdroop under cpu load
    it basically adds some voltage to compensate for droop under stress ( use sparingly )
    so if your core voltage is 1.38 at idi it could dip to 1.36 under full-load LLC compensates for this by attempting to add voltage to compensate under load and don't be worried about ganged vrs unganged mode you shouldn't ever mess with it unless you have a problem relating to dual channel ram
    and unless something is broke don't fk with the bios asrock boards have NO recovery option short of removing it and taking it someplace to have it flashed

Comment

Re: AsRock 990FX Extreme4 Clarification questions

Thanks for the reply. :)

So, what does 1/2 and 1/4 mean for LLC. I know what LLC is used for. What I need is to know what their LLC will translate to. So far it has helped stability none at all trying 1/2 or 1/4 when at 1.5 vcore or above.

Heck, give me a pin out diagram so I can get the voltage read points myself with my mm. If their LLC at 1/2 can keep my vcore at or above the voltage needed for stability then great. But as of now I am having a hard time in practice or in theory understanding what 1/2 or 1/4 means. On 1/2 it seems vcore which is inaccurate due to it being software but helps provide about 1.367 vcore up to about 1.475vcore set in UEFI, however after that, it plummets and can't hold it to even boot half the time. When I disable LLC at 1.5vcore or above I get stable enough voltage to boot etc, so I ask again, please define the 1/2 and 1/4 options for LLC.

And as for ganged and unganged goes, you are right that the real world grand scheme they are minor and not needed. However I want to benchmark to the utmost potential the chip/mb/mem can offer. And it's a simple option that many other mobo manufacturers implement, it's not usually too much to ask for in the grand scheme of things.

The lack of adjustable voltages is also a bit underwhelming as far as Asrocks UEFI.

I will say that this board is proving to be stable in some ways, and it has good implementation of failsafe booting.

I also appreciate your concern for updating UEFI, however at worse I'll buy another chip or since Asrock didn't solder it(thank you) I'll be able to just borrow one and hotflash it, either way I'm not worried about it. Also before 1.30 which did not come on this 990FX Extreme4, BD (BullDozer/Zambezi) was not even officially supported in UEFI/bios, so yes, they are mandatory and not something to look over at times. Luckily it did boot with it and let me flash, almost thought I had to give this mobo up before I even started.
      Last edited by rx7racer; 10-24-2011, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X