Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA 3 6.0Gb ports on motherboard

hello,

I was wondering how I can take advantage of the 6.0GB SATA ports on the motherboard? I have a 6.0GB TB HDD (SeaGate) but it would only be recognized by my computer plugged into the 3.0 GBs SATA ports. Do I need to enable these ports in the BIOs now that the OS is installed and all of that? I appreciate any quick replies.

I am sure this is an easy fix.

thank you very much,

Matt

Re: SATA 3 6.0Gb ports on motherboard

Hello,
    Could you clarify your problem? Are you saying you have a 6 GB/s (Sata III) hard drive that is one tetrabyte in size? As far as I know, the motherboard should recognize this without any tweaking no matter what port you plug it into (although you won't get full speed unless it is plugged into a SATA III port). Have you initialized and formatted the hard drive in storage management (right click my computer/manage/storage/disk management)? All the SATA ports are enabled by default - you just plug a hard drive into them and they work if everything is as it should be.
    Good luck, Gordon

Comment

Are you saying you have a 6 GB/s (Sata III) hard drive that is one tetrabyte in size?

This is correct, thank you for making me clarify. I remember when I first plugged in my hard drive (brand new) I could not use the drive because my computer said "cannot find bootable drive" or something to that affect. Now that my 1TB HDD is built with 7 x64 installed I should be able to just shut down and plug it into a SATA III port correct? I have yet to try this since this has been built. Thank you for your response.

Matt

Comment

Hello again,
        Does the computer have another hard drive already installed with an operating system on it (so you can boot up the computer with that hard drive)? You should then be able to plug in your new hard drive and it should be recognized immediately. You should install Windows 7 on your new hard drive while it is plugged into your own computer so that all the right drivers are installed, etc. and it will dual boot properly.
        Is that what you're trying to do?
        Gord

Comment

Originally posted by matt27 View Post
          Do I need to enable these ports in the BIOs now that the OS is installed and all of that? I appreciate any quick replies.
          Matt
          Yes you do. Check that the port is enabled in Bios.
          Did you build this computer yourself?

Comment

I remember when I first plugged in my hard drive

Comment

jayc72:
              I never had to enable any ports on my motherboard (Z68 Extreme 4). All the SATA ports worked without changing any Bios settings, and I built the computer myself. Was I missing something I should have tweaked?
              depuepedro: what do you remember about when you first plugged in your hard drive?

Comment

Originally posted by matt27 View Post
                [...] Now that my 1TB HDD is built with 7 x64 installed I should be able to just shut down and plug it into a SATA III port correct? I have yet to try this since this has been built.
                What an unclear post!

Comment

hey,

I'm in the middle of building my pc and ran into the issue.. let me clarify if I understand this and give you my interpretation.

I have an asrock extreme4 gen3 board which supports sata3 (6.0 gbps), however when I first booted bios with my wd 1tb hdd (also supports 6.0gbps) it was not recognized in bios..

I read somewhere that the bios cannot read the marvel controller (sata3 plug) and so I had to plug it in the sata2 spot. This solved the problem of it not being recognized, but what do I do to now set the hdd to sata3? Do I just plug it into the sata3 port?

Comment

If bios does not recognize the peripheral chip, you have to use a separate drive on the native ports (which are recognized by bios) in order to put OS on, and then use your SATA3 drive as secondary.
                    For Linux family I know that only a few (boot) files must be put on the boot drive and all other are left on secondary drive. For Windows however I am not sure.

Comment

It can be a little confusing having two on-board SATA controllers, one supported by the native motherboard chipset, while another is supported by a third-party chipset w/ option rom.

This confusion is often compounded by the fact the each controller must have ACHI/IDE/RAID configured individually, and 2TB+ support is another matter too.

The third party chipset will never show any connected drives in BIOS setup screens, but the drives should show both when the chipset option rom loads during boot, and also in the boot menu (F11). The way they will show changes depending on ACHI/IDE setting and other factors.

Comment

I am using the SATA 3 ports on my H67M-ITX with dual Crucial m64 SATA3 SSDs and have no issues.

By default, all the SATA ports on the motherboard are enabled. However, slap_happy gives a point you should take notice of regarding the SATA Mode. Default is AHCI, however, you may need to use IDE for compatibility.

I am running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and though the motherboard is fine with AHCI and recognizes the SATA3 SSDs, and the OS will begin to boot, along the way it pukes. Forced to set it to IDE to have it happy.

Comment

Originally posted by rsinj View Post
                          I am using the SATA 3 ports on my H67M-ITX with dual Crucial m64 SATA3 SSDs and have no issues.
                          I believe in the case of your board, the H67 has native chipset SATA3 support, so in that case they would show in the bios and wouldn't use an option rom that loads during bios startup.

I was speaking of the motherboards in which the native motherboard chipset does not directly support SATA3, but "tacks on" a third party chipset on to the motherboard with its own option rom in order to support SATA3 through an entirely separate discrete controller.

The chipsets most commonly used are the Marvell SE9128, or the ASMedia ASM106. Having this additional controller chipset built onto the motherboard is hardly different (in function) than installing a PCIe controller card, except that you don't have to install a card.

Comment

Working...
                          X