Z68 Pro3-m problems with new build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68 Pro3-m problems with new build

I have several problems with a new build using an ASRock Z68 Pro3-m Board.

1. The processor temperature on the UEFI main screen indicates 30 degrees C or more higher than the temperature reported on the hardware monitor of the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility.
    2. Changing the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI causes Windows to lock up during booting, after the welcome screen appears. From other posts, it seems like I may need to reinstall Windows after changing to AHCI. Is this correct?
    3. Enabling the Advanced Turbo 50 and using the default settings for the other options causes Windows to lock up, displaying a blue screen and initiating a reboot.

I am using the on-board graphics. The BIOS was upgraded to version1.40.

I used the following components in the system:

ASRock Pro3-M/M/ASR
    Part # 90-MXGJBO-AOUAYZ
    Serial# 15MOXD393220

i7 2600K 4.300 Ghz
    Product Code BX80623I72600K
    Batch # 3115B989

Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
    Part # CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
    Latency 9-9-9-24

Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200 rpm
    Part # 9BX1A8-573

Corsair CX600 Power Supply

Cooler Master GeminII S Cooler

PowerSpec T381 Micro ATX Case

Windows 7 64-bit clean install

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Z68 Pro3-m problems with new build

The first 2 are not problems - the BIOS has no power saving options and is thus running the CPU at full speed.

Second, you need to install windows on AHCI or IDE - you can't interchange between them. You can however change the setting in the registry, reboot, change the setting in the BIOS and then boot up windows and it will work.

Using auto-overclock features is generally frowned upon by overclockers because they don't really work too well.
    My Rig
    CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE @ 4GHz
    RAD: Corsair H60 [2x Gentle Typhoon AP-15]
    MB: ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Professional
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC
    SND: Asus Xonar Essence STX
    SSD: Cosair Force 3 60GB
    HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
    PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-P
    CASE: CoolerMaster Storm Scout

Comment

Thanks for the info. Anybody have success using the Turbo 50 setting? I'm not into overclocking, but will be using this computer for heavy graphics rendering, so I wold like to experiment with the additional speed, without spending a lot of time tweaking.

Comment

overclocking sandy bridge K version is not difficult even with manual tweak.

basic tweaking involving adjusting the multiplier (CPU ratio), turbo boost power limit and Vcore. For most sandy bridge K version, using Auto voltage to o/c to around 4GHz should be ok.

of course you should run some testing programs such as Prime95 and RealTemp to check the stability of o/c & temperature, which you should do even using the Turbo 50 setting.

Comment

Thanks. Guess I'll have to look into this some more. A whole new opportunity to learn something new. Anybody have suggestions for places / sites / references for us newbies to look?

Comment

search 'sandy bridge overclock guide' under google you will get many info. the guides for P67 chipset also works for Z68.

Comment

Working...
            X