Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 USB Laggy

Hi,

I've read through some threads and noticed that some Extreme4 Gen3 users have had problems with their USB inputs being laggy. In my case, both my USB mouse and USB keyboard lag out for periods of time ranging from barely noticeable to as much as 3 or 4 seconds at a time. When this occurs the rest of the system runs normally. If I am playing a game, the game continues to run at the same framerate with no stuttering or slowing down. Sometimes it is just the mouse, and other times it is just the keyboard. Sometimes it is both. It can occur with no programs open. I leave the windows system monitor open and see no CPU spikes or other indications that the system is experiencing issues.

The system sees the problem both on stock CPU speeds and overclocked speeds. The problem occurred before I ever attempted overclocking.

This occured the very first time I started my system up. I am convinced that both the mouse and keyboard are fine as I have used them both on two other computers now without an issue. I played a few games on my laptops with them for over an hour and had no input lag. I switched back to my new PC with this motherboard and immediately saw the issue again.

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, fully patched as of today.

Troubleshooting (tested USB for lag before attempting the next step. Saw lag after each step):

1)Restart system.
    2)Update the BIOS. I am currently on the latest BIOS version 1.1. I continued to experience issues.
    3)USB drivers. I updated to Etron USB 3.0 driver ver:0.96_WHQL. This did not fix the problem.
    4)Beta USB drivers, Etron USB 3.0 driver ver:0.104_WHQL. Still no improvement.
    5)Try different USB ports. I have now tried every port on the system, both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.
    6)Try a different mouse.

I am STILL seeing issues with input lag that is making gaming extremely difficult. The problem is intermitant. Sometimes I will play 30 minutes without a problem. Other times I will experience lag every 5 seconds or so. In one game, you fire a machine gun by holding down the mouse. Even with the mouse button being held down, my gun will stop firing, then start firing, then stop firing, all without me ever releasing the button! During this time the gameplay does not stutter or show signs of slowing.

It seems as though added bandwidth makes the problem worse. Previously, all my tests were done with only a mouse and keyboard in use. Tonight I tried a Logitech G35 USB headset and the problem seemed to get worse, though I can't tell if I am imagining it or not.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by Mavvy; 10-27-2011, 09:27 PM.

Re: ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 USB Laggy

This morning my USB headset would start to get static or stopped transmitting completely. The lag does seem worse when I have the headset plugged in.

Comment

Re: ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 USB Laggy

I solve the problem by returning the ASRock board and buying an EVGA board.

I didn't reinstall Windows, drivers, or software. I literally just changed boards and the problem went away. The system also overclocks higher, at 4.6 ghz up from 4.3 ghz at the same voltage and multiplier.

I did this after too much time spent dealing with ASRock tech support who insisted problem was driver related, despite working on two nearly identical computer with the same OS and drivers.

Comment

Working...
      X