Trouble getting system going after installing Z68 Extreme4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble getting system going after installing Z68 Extreme4

So I recently had the brainstorm of upgrading my motherboard, cpu and memory but I didn't want to re-install Windows 7. So I went with the Z68 Extreme4, i7 2600k cpu and 8GB of G.Skill Sniper ram. I used my old hard drive that is installed with Windows 7 x64 that was in my AMD system before swapping the board out.

The system boots up fine but there are a couple issues I can't seem to fix.

1) DVD drive won't read discs. The drive shows up in device manager and shows no errors but any disc in it can't be read. When I try to open the disc it comes up a pop-up window that says "Insert Disc" and it automatically ejects the disk. This drive worked fine before the MB swap.

2) USB ports aren't working. The usb keyboard and mouse don't work once windows boots up althought hey work fine in the bootloader. I believe this is related to drivers not being installed, in device manager the usb controller has errors that drivers aren't installed.

3) Internet doesn't work. No drivers for ethernet controller.

I think most issues are related to not being able to install drivers from the CD drive, not sure how to get this working. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Trouble getting system going after installing Z68 Extreme4

I would recommend starting from a fresh install, but you could try putting the drivers on a spare SATA hard drive and getting them into the running system that way. Everything is on the asrock web site.

Start with the system .inf stuff and maybe do the usb drivers next?

You might be able to find someone's cookbook way of migrating from AMD to Intel with Windows 7 by googling a bit. Something about deleting the registry keys related to devices prior to shutting down for the last time. That forces a rediscovery during the new boot. Still not a recommended technique :)

Comment

Ouch, Soon as I saw AMD to Intel I worried. Fresh Install would be optimal.

Comment

Damn, thought that might be a problem. Ok so next question, if a reformat is required I don't suppose there's an easy way to backup my programs/settings/etc. and re-install them after the reformat?

Comment

Could use windows 7 back up if you have ultimate or home premium.

Comment

Working...
          X