P67 extreme4 cpu frequency back and forth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P67 extreme4 cpu frequency back and forth

Hi guys, just got my extreme set up. After I use the OC profile to set it to 4.4ghz and load up windows, my cpu frequency reading jumps back and forth between 1500mhz and 4400mhz. I disabled speedstep, turboboost and c1e, yet it still does this? How can I fix this?

Also could I get some suggested voltage for stable 4.4ghz? Thank yo uvery much!

Re: P67 extreme4 cpu frequency back and forth

Why would you want to "fix" it.
    The cpu will "idle" on a x 16 multiplier,then as soon as any real load is applied it will speed up to x44.

If the 4.4 oc profile is stable,(test it using prime 95),and for x44 I dont think the board applies more than 1.37v even in turbo,should be np.

The tuning articles Ive read recommend leaving all the cie/turbo speedstep options on for overclocking 2000k cpu's.

For information:my 4.8ghz oc also drops down to 1.6ghz at idle.Max voltage goes up to 1.47v(big jump from 4.4) amd I have to set llc at lvl3.

5.0 ghz(for me) needs base cpu voltage of 1.43 extending to 1.52 max with turbo,high llc,pll overvoltage enabled ,max fan speeds,but it just gets too hot >80C and noisy for extended use.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

The Asus boards I had allowed me to stablize the oc by disabling c1e and speedstep so the cpu always remain at oc speed. I guess it's different for Asrock.

So you are suggesting leaving speedstep and c1e enabled? What about ppl internal overvoltage? My cpu idles at 50c with 4.4ghz oc. WHen running prime95 with small, it goes to like 80c+.

Comment

You can do it,if you want .run it full speed all the time I mean..
        Its just Ive read that for best results and easier overclocking you dont want the cpu running turbo mode all the time.
        edit:This advice/opinion applied to 2000k processors using sandybridge,ie that all cie speedstep etc options should be enabled to get the best overclock..for all mbrds ,not just asrock.

It may be in some thread here http://hwbot.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79
        or perhaps here:

I couldnt be bothered reading thru.

80c is too hot (imho) for 4.4ghz over an extended prime 95 test.

I get peaks of up to 80C on cores at 4.8ghz under test n thats as hi as I want it . I could keep the temps a little lower by running all the case and cpu fans flat out ,but dont want the pc that noisy all the time.
        1.what does axtu read as the cpu voltage when you are running prime 95
        2. my cpu temp doesnt go over 65 at 4.4 ,well at least the cpu fans dont go to max speed ,which they will do if cpu temp exceeds 65C

Possible reasons for your higher cpu temp at 4.4ghz

a.your room temp is higher than mine..Mine varies from about 18-22C summertime day.
        Board temp is 30-32C and cpu temp 31-33 approx at idle(4.8)

b.Your cooling soln is different to mine,different cooler etc.
        edit:If you are running a standard intel cooler .the general finding is some 10-15C warmer at higher overclocks than an aftermarket one.

c.The board is supplying more voltage at 4.4 autoverclock for you than for me,dunno why that would be.
        I tested 4.4ghz some time back and posted the screenie in some other thread . I think it was something like 1.33v with a possible .040v offset for turbo so 1.36-1.37v at max multiplier and then of course dropping to 1.1 or 1.2v at min multiplier(idle).

You could play around with manual settings ,I thought I had a good 4.6ghz overclock using 1.36 v fixed or 1.34 with a turbo offset and I said Id use that for awhile but after 2 days I began to get gx anomalies on windows and messages like ,your nvidia gx driver has recovered from a failure !..so Im back on my 4.8 almost standard overclock,llc at lvl 3 instead of 5.

the ppl overvoltage enable.
        edit: earlier asrock bios versions didnt have ppl overvoltage enable/disable as a lot of manufacturers didnt.
        The general opinion is that its only really usefull for near the limit overclocks.It might get you an extra 150-200mhz but wont necessarily mean lower vCore needed or lower temps for the same speed.
        No I dont have the article I read that in to hand,I could probably find it and link it.
        That has been my experience too tho its limited to one system, without ppl overvoltage enabled I cant boot in at 5 ghz,even then I need 1.43 base cpu voltage for 5ghz,getting to 1.52v at max speed testing.

At that speed I cant keep temps below 85c consistentlyand only ran for like an hr or so,tho it didnt bluescreen or give a worker error its just too hot(for me).
        Last edited by kick; 07-03-2011, 03:59 PM.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
          You can do it,if you want .run it full speed all the time I mean..
          Its just Ive read that for best results and easier overclocking you dont want the cpu running turbo mode all the time.
          edit:This advice/opinion applied to 2000k processors using sandybridge,ie that all cie speedstep etc options should be enabled to get the best overclock..for all mbrds ,not just asrock.

It may be in some thread here Sandy Bridge Overclocking & Tweaking - hwbot.org
          or perhaps here:
          How to Overclock the Intel Core i5-2500K | bit-tech.net

I couldnt be bothered reading thru.

80c is too hot (imho) for 4.4ghz over an extended prime 95 test.

I get peaks of up to 80C on cores at 4.8ghz under test n thats as hi as I want it . I could keep the temps a little lower by running all the case and cpu fans flat out ,but dont want the pc that noisy all the time.
          1.what does axtu read as the cpu voltage when you are running prime 95
          2. my cpu temp doesnt go over 65 at 4.4 ,well at least the cpu fans dont go to max speed ,which they will do if cpu temp exceeds 65C

Possible reasons for your higher cpu temp at 4.4ghz

a.your room temp is higher than mine..Mine varies from about 18-22C summertime day.
          Board temp is 30-32C and cpu temp 31-33 approx at idle(4.8)

b.Your cooling soln is different to mine,different cooler etc.
          edit:If you are running a standard intel cooler .the general finding is some 10-15C warmer at higher overclocks than an aftermarket one.

c.The board is supplying more voltage at 4.4 autoverclock for you than for me,dunno why that would be.
          I tested 4.4ghz some time back and posted the screenie in some other thread . I think it was something like 1.33v with a possible .040v offset for turbo so 1.36-1.37v at max multiplier and then of course dropping to 1.1 or 1.2v at min multiplier(idle).

You could play around with manual settings ,I thought I had a good 4.6ghz overclock using 1.36 v fixed or 1.34 with a turbo offset and I said Id use that for awhile but after 2 days I began to get gx anomalies on windows and messages like ,your nvidia gx driver has recovered from a failure !..so Im back on my 4.8 almost standard overclock,llc at lvl 3 instead of 5.

the ppl overvoltage enable.
          edit: earlier asrock bios versions didnt have ppl overvoltage enable/disable as a lot of manufacturers didnt.
          The general opinion is that its only really usefull for near the limit overclocks.It might get you an extra 150-200mhz but wont necessarily mean lower vCore needed or lower temps for the same speed.
          No I dont have the article I read that in to hand,I could probably find it and link it.
          That has been my experience too tho its limited to one system, without ppl overvoltage enabled I cant boot in at 5 ghz,even then I need 1.43 base cpu voltage for 5ghz,getting to 1.52v at max speed testing.

At that speed I cant keep temps below 85c consistentlyand only ran for like an hr or so,tho it didnt bluescreen or give a worker error its just too hot(for me).
          room temp is only 23C, I use megahalems but with no fans. WHen i oced to 4ghz real temp shows 60c max while playing a game. maybe i just have a hot chip.

Comment

um megahelms with no fan?
            Just guesswork but at 4.4 id expect its cooling to be worse than the intel cooler.

Is the mega helms mounted in the 775 cooler holes?

Perhaps post your full machine spec ,and you will get more responses.
            The stuff in my sig..its just general information,if I was looking for some "info/help"
            Id post my full machine spec and uefi/bios settings too.
            Asrock extreme6 p67 b3 mbrd bios 1.50
            Intel i5 2500k cpu @4.8ghz max cpu v 1.48
            zalmann 10 cpu cooler dual scythe typhoon 120 mm fans, max rpm 1900.
            jeantech 500w psu,max cpu amperage 18 (220w)
            pc fans =4x120 mm 1 intake,1 exhaust, 2 on cpu cooler. 1 x 90 mm pci slot exhaust,1x40mm hdd cooler,
            stuff like that.
            Last edited by kick; 07-03-2011, 05:43 PM.
            Current Systems:

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
              um megahelms with no fan?
              Just guesswork but at 4.4 id expect its cooling to be worse than the intel cooler.

Is the mega helms mounted in the 775 cooler holes?

Perhaps post your full machine spec ,and you will get more responses.
              The stuff in my sig..its just general information,if I was looking for some "info/help"
              Id post my full machine spec and uefi/bios settings too.
              Asrock extreme6 p67 b3 mbrd bios 1.50
              Intel i5 2500k cpu @4.8ghz max cpu v 1.48
              zalmann 10 cpu cooler dual scythe typhoon 120 mm fans, max rpm 1900.
              jeantech 500w psu,max cpu amperage 18 (220w)
              pc fans =4x120 mm 1 intake,1 exhaust, 2 on cpu cooler. 1 x 90 mm pci slot exhaust,1x40mm hdd cooler,
              stuff like that.
              There is only 1 hoe to fit in. I use 1155 holes. The backplate of the megahalems can only fit through 4 holes on the board. There is no other way to fit it. I think its because I got no fans on megahalems.

extreme4 bios 1.60(upgraded to 1.8 gave me bsod, wont boot so I reverted back to 1.6)
              2500k at 4ghz auto volts
              megahalems no fans
              seasonic x650 gold
              thermaltake armor a90 with 3 case fans.
              gskill 1600 8-8-8-24-1n
              gtx 580
              intel 320 ssd 120gb
              wd 1tb caviar black

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

that the screen shot with realtemp, even just playing game it goes to max 63C at 4ghz.
              Last edited by Vaanelo; 07-03-2011, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Well yeh,guesswork really,but your cpu cooler is ok.
                It needs a fan...
                Passive cooling is one thing,but u are overclocking so will probably need a fan.
                a decent pwr 4 pin one for like $10 otherwise you will be stuck at 4.4 ghz max+ kinda hot.
                Thats my opinion anyway.
                Current Systems:

Comment

Working...
                X