Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Pro3/Extreme4 and LGA775 heatsink compatibility

Hi,

I've read that the Z68 Pro3/Extreme4 are compatible with LGA775 heatsinks. Are they compatible with all of them or just a select few? I have a Tuniq Tower with my current intel Q9450. Will it work with the Asrock?

From the look of the back, its backplate might block my Tuniq Tower which also has a backplate?

Thanks.
    Last edited by galapogos; 06-20-2011, 08:34 AM.

Re: Asrock Z68 Pro3/Extreme4 and LGA775 heatsink compatibility

some 775 heatsinks not all.
    My coolermaster V8 ,I hoped would work and it would have if I had the 1156/1155 adapter kit , but mine also came with the 1336 back plate kit so I hoped I could adapt it with new holes at 775 spacing.

I got out my drill lined everything up and it seemed to be ok!. I was really happy with my diyness.
    It wasnt : The 775 mounting holes twist the cooler a few degrees off ,this meant one of the 4 cooler support arms was fouling the corner of the cpu lockdown plate. I knew it was close but thought there was some clearance. when I tightened things up (not too much) and fired up the pc first the cpu temp was 60 c.
    I knew something wasnt right and discovered the problem when i took the cooler off.

1. if your cooler has one of those flat x type backing plates ,it wont work
    2.The 775 mounting holes are off centre so depending on cooler type you could foul something .
    3. the holes could be usefull for someone with an expensive water cooling block from a 775 cpu.
    4. the intel 775 coolers should work ok, but you will probably get a 1155 one with your cpu(I didnt .I got an oem chip in a box to save a few $).
    5.get a 1156(same as 1155) adapter kit for your tuniq, or just get a multifitting type cooler and use the 1155 cooler holes.
    6.There may be a list out there of 775 coolers that fit nps but hardly seems worth it.
    One other thing ,even if your cooler does work ok in the 775 holes ,unless its circular or a small water block,it will be a little off the horizontal/vertical lines and u can certainly see it.
    So it will look kinda cack(tech term).
    Last edited by kick; 06-20-2011, 10:31 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Is there an official response from Asrock regarding this? Seems a little like false advertising if it doesn't fit all LGA775 coolers.

Comment

ASRock Z68

ASRock says that NOT all heatsinks are compatible thus it is not false advertising.

Comment

OK, it fits :)

Though I'm reminded of how difficult it is to mount the Tuniq Tower. It's just about impossible to do it alone as there were 5 parts to hold/stabilize/attach(the backplate, the motherboard, the I shaped fastener, the 4 screws, and the actual heatsink). I had to get my wife to help me.

Comment

yes, the backplate is blocking my prolimatech megahalems's lga775 backplate

Comment

Working...
            X