X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Fan control Z68 Extreme 4

Hey guys,

I have a little question.

I got 4 fans (incl cpu fan) connected with the mobo, all of them are 3 pin except for the cpu fan.
    but now when i go in the bios and change for example the speed level to 4 or 7 it doesnt change.
    all fans keep going +- 1200 rpm
    is this some kind of bug? or am i doing something wrong?

Re: Question about Fan control Z68 Extreme 4

there are other posts about fans that ask/answer the same q in the past couple of weeks.

assuming your fan header layout is the same..

chassis fan 1 needs a 4 pin fan for temp/speed regulation to work.

cpufan 1 should work(4 pin fan) for cpu temp/speed regulation,if you then have a 3 pin fan connected to cpufan 2,this will also work

chassis fan 2 (3 pin) should work at whatever lvl u set it to 1-4

chassis fan 3 " " " " 1-10

power fan 1 will allways run full speed(unless it has a built in thermocouple sensor).
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
      there are other posts about fans that ask/answer the same q in the past couple of weeks.

assuming your fan header layout is the same..

chassis fan 1 needs a 4 pin fan for temp/speed regulation to work.

cpufan 1 should work(4 pin fan) for cpu temp/speed regulation,if you then have a 3 pin fan connected to cpufan 2,this will also work

chassis fan 2 (3 pin) should work at whatever lvl u set it to 1-4

chassis fan 3 " " " " 1-10

power fan 1 will allways run full speed(unless it has a built in thermocouple sensor).
      hm....

cpufan is connected to a is a4 pin connector and is connected with the 4pin on the board.

the others are all 3 pin and are connected with a 3pin on the board.

my cooler is a scythe mugen 2 rev B. and i think it should just work with other speeds
      but i mean if i put it to level 10 it will run at 1000rpm when i put it to 1 it will still run at 1000rpm
      should i just change the cpu fan to another fan pin like chassis fan3?

Comment

You need to be specific about every component.
        I mean posters in general.

For example lets take you scythe fan, what is its rated max speed,I dunno and I couldnt be bothered to look it up.

For me.. my chassis 1 fan is what came with my cpu cooler.
        Its a 4 pin fan and its speed range normally is 950-2000 rpm.

It comes with a detachable inline resistor which limits its max speed to 1400 rpm approx no matter what.

I run the fan atm with the resistor attached.

Ok so I also have my chassis 1 fan level set at lvl2.. this means it rotates at around 1100 rpm and is quiet.
        When the cpu temp goes over 65 c(set in bios) full power/voltage is applied to the fan gradually so it will spin up to 1400 rpm approx.
        If I wasnt using the resistor it would go to 2000 rpm(loud)

Whether I used the resistor or not ,if i set it at lvl 2 it would still only rotate at 1100rpm.

Some scythe fans (there was another post about this v recently),have a v narrow speed range.. some are even limited to 800rpm .. so like at lvl 1 it might rotate at 700 rpm at at lvl 9 800 rpm.

I have one akasa 3 pin fan that has a speed range of 900-1700 rpm approx and I get the full range of speed on the chassis 3 header.

I have another akasa 3 pin one that is limited to 1400 rpm max,I use that on the power header.
        My cpu fans are 9 blade the cpu 2 one is a 1700rpm limited gentle typhoon and so on.

But hey check all 3 of your non cpu fans on the chassis 3 fan header and see if you get a full speed range.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
        X