Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

890FX Deluxe5 SATA3/eSATA controller conflicts between Marvell and AMD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 890FX Deluxe5 SATA3/eSATA controller conflicts between Marvell and AMD?

Hello,

I've been trying to line out some issues on my new build and seem to be having problems (or bumping into hardware limits?) with the 890FX Deluxe5 architecture. I find that when I install my OCZ SSD and ASUS optical drives onto the Marvell controller (Marvell boot enabled and set to AHCI in UEFI), it causes BSOD's or won't boot. If I shutdown and plug into eSATA, the machine can't find a boot drive. If I plug in the eSATA port after Win7 is already booted, it BSOD's.

Is this by design? Or is it a configuration problem on my part?

My initial plan was to install the SSD (boot drive) and the ASUS optical 24X CD/DVD SATA drive onto the 2-port Marvell controller and use the AMD 6-port controller dedicated for my WD Caviar Black data drive and future RAID configurations. But as it is now, I can only get everything to work by ignoring the Marvell controller and plugging everything into the AMD controller. Board BIOS has been updated to P1.40 with mobo and all other device drivers also current.

Seems like I read somewhere (Newegg review??) that this particular board has some of the SATA ports disabled under certain conditions, but I can't find anything about it in the user manual. Anyone know anything about this?

EDIT: I just RE-read the manual and found something I missed. On page 27, the manual DOES state as follows:
    "If you install the HDD on the eSATA port on the rear I/O, the internal SATA3_8 (on Marvell controller) will not function."

I think this answers my question, cuz I definitely had both SATA3_7 and SATA3_8 ports connected when I tried the rear eSATA connection and it definitely bombed out! I think ASRock needs to make this limitation more conspicuous on their product specs. It was not overtly listed on the spec page at Newegg and this is a major limitation that customers need to be aware of upfront.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MrPisky; 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM. Reason: added mobo name to thread title for search index

Re: 890FX Deluxe5 SATA3/eSATA controller conflicts between Marvell and AMD?

i dont know about newegg spec
    but if you go to asrock site in the specification it listed
    - 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Marvell SE9120, support NCQ, AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions (SATA3_M2 connector is shared with eSATA3 port)

Comment

Working...
    X