Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asrock Z68 Extreme4: the sound of (too much) silence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Extreme4: the sound of (too much) silence.

Hi there Asrockers!

My recently-assembled Z68-based system has been silent since birth. No sound from the rear panel socket nor the front socket. Nothing when using Win 7 64 bit, nor Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit or 32 bit.

I've tried pretty much everything that I can think of: re-installed Realtek driver; changed settings in BIOS; updated BIOS (1.40); un-plugged the front panel cable from the audio header; etc, etc. I've followed several audio-fix prescriptions from the Web, including a couple that I found here at TweakTown. All to no effect.

In Win 7 64 bit, the Sound utility shows speakers as "not plugged in" whether they are or not. The Realtek HD Audio Manager always shows "Analog (Back Panel)" as greyed-out and not selectable. The "Front Panel" sockets can be selected, but I get no sound. "Digital" can be selected but I don't have a suitable device to plug in, so I can't test it. The Audio Manager info panel shows audio driver 6.0.1.6257, DirectX 11.0, audio controller HD Audio, and audio codec ALC892. Win 7 Device Manager shows no problems.

Is there anything else that I should do before (reluctantly) concluding that the mobo is defective?

Thanks!

Jasss

Asrock Z68 Extreme4; i5-2500; G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-1600 4Gb x 2; 1Tb WD Black; TL-WN951N wireless card.
    No discrete graphics or audio.

Re: Asrock Z68 Extreme4: the sound of (too much) silence.

I also have the same problem. I do not get any sound from the rear, or the front panel (even after installing all the required drivers). I bought this mobo 1 week ago and could not get the sound working. I am considering returning this mobo but after installing everything its kind of a bother to take everything apart. Please post here some suggestions or solutions in case you find one.

Comment

Re: Asrock Z68 Extreme4: the sound of (too much) silence.

@ ErikS: I found a solution, of sorts: a $15 PCI sound card. That gives me the sound that I need without the hassle and likely frustration of disassembly, returning the mobo, then waiting for the retailer/distributer to decide what to do about my problem. It's galling, of course. Oh, and I have submitted a support request to Asrock.

Jasss

Comment

Working...
      X