Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asrock Z68 Pro3 CPU temp readings are vastly different in UEFI vs extreme Utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asrock Z68 Pro3 CPU temp readings are vastly different in UEFI vs extreme Utility

The CPU temperature I get in the UEFI Setup Utilty indicates a cpu temp of 57C. When I get into Windows 7 and load the Askrock Extreme Tuning Utility it indicates the CPU temperature is 35C. The motherboard temperature is an identical 29C in both utilities. Is anyone else seeing this, if so, which is utility is correct?

Re: Asrock Z68 Pro3 CPU temp readings are vastly different in UEFI vs extreme Utilit

Both.
    Under UEFI/BIOS CPU temp. is always higher than IDLE in Windows. There is always some STRESS under UEFI, C-states are off as well as other Power Saving features.

Comment

Re: Asrock Z68 Pro3 CPU temp readings are vastly different in UEFI vs extreme Utilit

Originally posted by davemartin50 View Post
      The CPU temperature I get in the UEFI Setup Utilty indicates a cpu temp of 57C. When I get into Windows 7 and load the Askrock Extreme Tuning Utility it indicates the CPU temperature is 35C. The motherboard temperature is an identical 29C in both utilities. Is anyone else seeing this, if so, which is utility is correct?
      I got the same problem. After Extreme Tuning Utility start, temperature goes down, no matter cpu is heavy loaded or not.

Comment

the cpu temp fluctuates rapidly with its speed and the voltage applied.

With uefi running ,you can see the base voltage being applied for your overclock ,1.39v in my case and temp higher than mb temp.

run something like cpu-z and real temp when you first boot into windows so you can monitor cpu speed and temps independently.

Personally I think what happens is when you first turn on axtu its like a "wake up call" and it immediately starts up at your full overclock settings,then when it "sees" there isnt much demand for cpu action the voltage ,temp and cpu clock speed starts to settle down in a couple of seconds .
        The one thing it doesnt show for me anyway is the speedstep down of the cpu.

Axtu will show the max overclock you have it set for,in my case usually x48.

cpu-z will show a momentary peakup to x48 then it will settle down to x16 and a corresponding voltage of 1.1-1.2(corresponding to idle)

Then if you start up a progamme like prime 95(that will certainly load the cpu) and axtu will certainly show much higher temps and voltages and it will take awhile to settle down depending on how you have your fans set,power draw on the different components and all that.
        After about 15min the components will have reached at or close to their max tempand the board will have balanced everything out,i find anyway.
        Then let prime run for an hr/7hrs or whatever you want.

One thing I do find with AXTU is that if you change chassis fan 3 or chassis fan 2 speed settings in the middle of a stress test it takes like 10 min for the loadings /voltage balance to even out again.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

I do crunching from first minutes after computer boot, it's 100% cpu load over all cores. So CPU temp goes to 67C, after that I launch AXTU and in 1 minute temp goes down suddenly to 56C and keeps this level further.

CPU-Z shows the same values for Ghz and voltage during this temperature drop, before and after, and that is normal because CPU is 100% loaded.

So again the question, what's going on :) Will try to connect thermometer to my radiator and check real temperature.

Comment

I found the root of the problem :)

AXTU utility decrease the voltage on CPU, because of this temperature goes down. It seems that my cpu can work on lower voltage (than "auto bios overclocking" sets), and show the same benchmark result.

So now I removed AXTU and increase in bios just multiplier, without "auto overclocking" - and I get lower temperatures.

Right now it's 4.4 Ghz, 1.232 CPU voltage and 62C temp.

Comment

It may be your setup
              For 4.8,well 4.825,100.5 bclk

I use auto oclk which is 1.395v approx,with .090v offset ,but with llc3 instead of the standrd 5.

applied voltage under stress testing goes from 1.472-1.48v and doesnt change whether axtu is on initially,turned on during testing or not turned on at all.

I have done non auto overclocks at 4.6ghz with core voltage 1.32 but then started to get funny gx errors at idle ! any cpu speed below that doesnt really interest me,since Im not looking for a super quiet cpu and 4.8 seems happy to run full throttle for hrs..

5ghz I need 1.42-1.43v/offset to 1.52 v but since thats the at present intel dont exceed voltage and things get hot n noisy ,I dont use it .

Raider seems to have a good low voltage overclock,then again maybe setup for z68 boards would be different.

Some say these voltages are too high:
              Well my reasoning is
              Asrock must have tested one or 2 cpu's at these voltages for awhile before including the settings in bios.Stands to reason they wouldnt include them otherwise.

It would be bad public relations if they supplied overclock settings that seriously shortened the average cpu lifespan.

If someone provides a definitive bios setting that will give me 5ghz at lower voltages ,Ill give it a go,but even then if the temperature still goes to like 85c over time I would have a lot of noise and heat.
              Last edited by kick; 06-16-2011, 09:52 AM.
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Hey Join/ipagevsfatcow ,Ive seen a few of your "I do not agree with the above view","your problem has not been met " and similar nonsensical posts.
                They are as allways usefull and insightfull !ie not fooling anyone.

Why not just post.. "hey its me again advertising a web page hosting link which doesnt work".
                Last edited by kick; 06-17-2011, 02:27 PM.
                Current Systems:

Comment

Working...
                X